What's everyone riding/racing>>>>

18 replies to this topic
  • G-Man

Posted February 28, 2002 - 09:19 PM

Over on the FreshDirt board they have a thread going similiar to this, so I thought I would bring it over here, and add a couple of things...

I live in Arizona and I race 40 Master in the AZOTMX gang and 40Int, 30Int in the local clubs.

Here's my 2001 426 which is basically stock with some minor rider preferences.

She still has the original oil in the shock after 15 mo.s of hard riding/racing! Yea I know it's probably due but it still works great so why mess with it!!!

Rode a 02CR250 recently and was shocked to find out I could grab a tighter line with the big ol beast! The motor was a major disappointment too, (the mags were right) and just re-confirmed to me that I am done with the 2-smokes.

At my age (43) the Big Thumpers are too much fun, and I dig the engine braking of Big Blue, I use it to my advantage.
Don't know why Honda would try to eliminate it?

Gary Chaidez

The Blue Beast

G-Man's web page

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: G-Man ]

• MX_Tuner

Posted March 01, 2002 - 02:09 AM

You may be able to make your bike turn more like the CR. Do you have the forks raised up at all in the triple clamps? What is the rear sag set to? Were you standing or sitting when you measured?

• RacerX

Posted March 01, 2002 - 06:11 AM

I might have read G's post wrong but I think he's saying he turns better on his YZF than the CR 2 smoke. At least that's what I see him doing when he's out on the track...

• Hokie

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:19 AM

I race in Colorado, SRAC and RMXA organizations.

+30C,250C and this year I'm trying +25 B/C to try and get faster. I also race Hare Scrambles in the fall/winter.

I also raced the 125C class last season, I sure learned a lot riding that 125!

Here is me on my old 99 YZ400 last year (First Top Ten Finish!)

www.sidewinder.cc

Here is my 01 YZ426:

http://www.sidewinder.cc/AUT_0157.JPG

That was the first day I got it. It has different handlebars now. (Renthal Fat Bar, Emig Triple Clamp)

Race On!

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

• MX_Tuner

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:40 AM

Sorry, RX, you're right. DUH!!

Back to the original question, I generally just trail ride and get in peoples way. Us slow old farts tend to enjoy the scenery while whizzing past. I've had enough of racing. Sit around half the day to ride over your head for a few minutes.... no thanks. I've had my fill of that.

• Hokie

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:43 AM

Originally posted by MX Tuner:

I've had enough of racing. Sit around half the day to ride over your head for a few minutes.... no thanks. I've had my fill of that.

Race some Hare Scrambles! 2 Hours of non-stop racing action! You'll be ready to sit around after that! :)

• Fastline

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:05 AM

I too raced a CR 250 in the S. Tx HS but have changed to an 01 YZF 426 and I love it. Although there is a big learning curve to overcome. I feel that I am close to my speed on the CR and will be faster by mid season. Any way I have only been jumping on the 426 a few times and that is taking more time to get use to than the woods riding.

• RIDEPATE

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:27 AM

yeah i second the jumping thing, the thumper jumps a lot different than the 2-smokes, i've been looking at the ground uni-cycling on the front wheel more than a few times,it really has got me kinda shy about hitting jumps,i've been doing doubles with throttle off, but now i think i need to blip on the face,any input as far as jumps go i will certianly listen to. jimbo :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:40 AM

For jumping, just hold the throttle steady off of the face and you'll be ok. If you let off before the face then you will definitely nose dive. If you hold it steady then it should fly pretty neutral. After some practice you can figure out how to jump with more or less throttle. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hokie

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:48 AM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
For jumping, just hold the throttle steady off of the face and you'll be ok. If you let off before the face then you will definitely nose dive. If you hold it steady then it should fly pretty neutral. After some practice you can figure out how to jump with more or less throttle. :)

I also found that if you are almost revved out in a gear, it helps a lot to upshift to the next gear so you get a good pull up the face of the jump.

Don't chop the throttle or you will end up with a concussion. First hand knowledge here. :D

I had the opposite problem learning to jump a 2-stroke, I kept almost looping out since I was used to leaving the throttle on!

• RichB

Posted March 01, 2002 - 09:09 AM

Originally posted by MX Tuner:

Us slow old farts tend to enjoy the scenery while whizzing past. I've had enough of racing. Sit around half the day to ride over your head for a few minutes.... no thanks. I've had my fill of that.

God bless you MX tuner. That's exactly how I feel. Let's see pay a little get to ride, tune, and get an exhausting workout or pay 2x as much get to ride 12 laps total all day (including practice). Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• 98yz

Posted March 01, 2002 - 09:22 AM

I race +25 and 250B. Been on 2 smokes untill this year, I like the 426 so far, but I am ready to get it outdoors and let it strech its legs on a outdoor national style track.

• singletracker500

Posted March 01, 2002 - 09:29 AM

G-Man..looks like we've ridden together . I'm in that "White Tanks" pic you have on your site. I'm on the left side with the black and white gear with a black number plate on my old '91 CR500. It was a bit dusty that day, if I remember correctly!!

Where's the "Death Trail"? Bartlett?

• G-Man

Posted March 01, 2002 - 12:08 PM

"Us slow old farts tend to enjoy the scenery while whizzing past. I've had enough of racing. Sit around half the day to ride over your head for a few minutes.... no thanks. I've had my fill of that."

MX Tuner, hey I'm an ol Fart too! LOL

Yea I can relate to the sitting around part getting old, that's why I like to race two classes on race day. But yea your right you get more bang for your buck just practicing at the track. I like to put my camelback on, fill the tank and go for an hr long moto, it really build up your endurance and when you race you don't get tired.

But nothing replaces the adrenaline rush of lining up behind the gate with the bikes revving anticipating the start. I probably enjoy both an equal amount.

• Dodger

Posted March 01, 2002 - 12:12 PM

Another poor victim of Colorado Powersports, really sorry to see that. :)

Dodger

• G-Man

Posted March 01, 2002 - 12:14 PM

Originally posted by singletracker500:
G-Man..looks like we've ridden together . I'm in that "White Tanks" pic you have on your site. I'm on the left side with the black and white gear with a black number plate on my old '91 CR500. It was a bit dusty that day, if I remember correctly!!
Where's the "Death Trail"? Bartlett?

Yes I remember you, matter of fact I was on the Internet with AJ from Service Honda and he mentioned you that you had come out to check on those awesome bikes. Small world huh! Did you here he wadded up in Cal and broke his leg pretty bad?

Death trail is the Pima Dynamite area and one of these weekends we need to hook up out there, we have an awesome 35 mile loop. I take it you clicked on the Death Trail text box and read the story? It's every bit as knarly as I described it.

• Hokie

Posted March 01, 2002 - 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Dodger:
Another poor victim of Colorado Powersports, really sorry to see that. :)

Dodger

Why are you doggin Powersports?
They always treat me well.

• rmarion

Posted March 01, 2002 - 01:03 PM

The Older I get the Faster I was!

1978& 79 - Local Pro

1981-93 Family Life

1993 - Fat & Slow,

2002 - LAOTMX 40 Expert #88
OTHG 38 Novice, #112
Still Fat & Slow
:) :D

• singletracker500

Posted March 01, 2002 - 04:50 PM

Originally posted by G-Man:

Did you here he wadded up in Cal and broke his leg pretty bad?

Yeah I heard. We shoot an e-mail back and forth every now and then.

Death trail is the Pima Dynamite area and one of these weekends we need to hook up out there, we have an awesome 35 mile loop. I take it you clicked on the Death Trail text box and read the story? It's every bit as knarly as I described it.

I've probably ridden every trail from Dynamite to quite a bit past the indian ruins, so I'm sure I've been on it before. Just don't know it by that name. I think I know where you took that pic of you guys sitting on that rock slab. Isn't that the place where you walk through those two big boulders leaning against each other. It used to be one of the rest areas on an old loop we used to take alot. They've closed down much of that area.

I only get out to Bartlett about once a month since I moved to the west side. But yeah, we need to hook up for a ride out there, or maybe mile marker 4 on the way to Wickenburg.

Sorry to get your thread off topic.

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: singletracker500 ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.