Won't accelerate when hot.

7 replies to this topic
  • Punisher3

Posted November 02, 2015 - 05:01 PM

We have a 2012 450f monster. 61 hours on it. Once it has ran for about an hour, it will not accelerate when you nail the throttle. Bogs down with some back fire. Starts fine, idles well. It will accelerate slowly to about half throttle. When you nail it, it pukes. What I've done so far: new wire harness, new TPS sensor. Help!!! We love this bike (GNCC RACER). Need it to run the whole race.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 02, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Fuel pump and or fuel pump filter

You need to filter your gas before it goes in the tank, and then replace the fuel pump filter per the manual spec (20 hours ?)

Edited by KRANNIE, November 02, 2015 - 05:17 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Good one.

The fuel filter is not serviceable.  

You can get them apart, however, here's an older link: 

http://www.thumperta.../#entry10702600

A more recent post from about a month back stated he was able to get the thing disassembled without damaging any of the parts. 

The symptoms are right for that.  Basically, the filter becomes a flow limiter, and the system can't deliver fuel any faster.  

• Dexter42

Posted November 02, 2015 - 09:17 PM

You can buy a replacement filter or do as some have do and wash the current one with dawn but their cheap enough just replace it. I'm going to warn you it's a B!!!! Taking it apart, one black hose in particular, other than that it's not to bad. Take your time and crack open a beer!! It's going to be a while...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted November 02, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Yep, what everybody else said. It becomes symptomatic when the fuel level gets low in the tank and therefore only the lower contaminated portion of the filter is trying to flow fuel. Just went through this on my '13. While the filter/pump assembly is not designed to be serviceable it turns out that if you are careful you can remove and clean (or replace) the filter.

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Where is the replacement available?  Yamaha lists nothing other than the complete pump.

• Dexter42

Posted November 03, 2015 - 11:04 AM

2010 yz450 bogs after 15 minutes http://www.thumperta...fter-15-minutes

http://www.highflowf...3907-00-00.html

They sell the replacement filters, I picked one up for $15 when I replied to this thread.

• Punisher3

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:09 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. There are some very knowledgeable people on this thread. I am in the process of disassembly and cleaning. Thanks again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.