Yzf450 vs crf450 enduro pick

8 replies to this topic
  • barbwire44

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:58 AM

I'm looking at 13-14 crf's and 14-15 yz's
Which one would make the better choice for an east coast enduro bike? The cr seems a little smaller which is a good thing motor supposed to be tamer, but not as easy to tune, yz has kyb hard to beat that, yz has gytr tuner which should be a plus, crf top end parts seem cheaper to replace, but yamaha supposed to b a more reliable engine?
That's the opinions I've gathered so far other than that haven't rode either bike. Really want east of the Mississippi opinions, I've rode out west it's a whole different world, so east coast tight woods enduro and harescrambles what would u pick and why?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2015 - 12:46 PM

I'd always go with the YZ based purely on the reliability and deal with everything else as needed.  

The gas tank thing is a little easier to sort on the Honda, I suppose.  

But, you owe it to yourself to have a look at picking up a YZ450X.  That bike would be everything I'd want right off the showroom floor, other than the usual tuning. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2015 - 02:55 PM

I'm looking at 13-14 crf's and 14-15 yz's
Which one would make the better choice for an east coast enduro bike? The cr seems a little smaller which is a good thing motor supposed to be tamer, but not as easy to tune, yz has kyb hard to beat that, yz has gytr tuner which should be a plus, crf top end parts seem cheaper to replace, but yamaha supposed to b a more reliable engine?
That's the opinions I've gathered so far other than that haven't rode either bike. Really want east of the Mississippi opinions, I've rode out west it's a whole different world, so east coast tight woods enduro and harescrambles what would u pick and why?

There is nothing more reliable than the Yamaha's.

I've owned everything.

I currently have a CRF450X and a WR450F/YZ. 

Other bikes have come and gone, but the WR, has alwasy been in my garage. The funnest bike out there with real power and suspension.

The CRFX is big, and made for 45mph and above riding (Baja)

The WR's can do anything, especially the '12 and later with the 'real' suspension.

As mentioned the new YZFX should be interesting, although red sticker, which would not matter for you I don't think.

CRFR's are not e start, just like the YZF's are not.

• barbwire44

Posted November 01, 2015 - 03:13 PM

I had an 08 wr450it was a good bike just way too heavy for what I ride. I currently ride a yz250 smoker so everything feels heavy, and ktm's just don't turn for me.
The 450fx is interesting but it is too heavy, I don't need the estart I'll just put a rekluse in to eliminate the flame outs n restarts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcbuckeyeguy

Posted November 05, 2015 - 02:47 PM

The 14-15 yzf's make great woods bikes. With properly sprung suspension and a heavy flywheel you couldn't go wrong. I raced mine for the first season with nothing more than braces,skids and guards. The second season I resprung front and rear and added the gytr flywheel. The bike was great stock and even better with the upgrades.

• bigbird192

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:34 PM

FYI, a rekluse will not prevent flame outs. I personally would look really hard at the crf. I think they may be a little more forgiving of weight distribution when turning. Also, I am not sure why you think ktm's don't turn well. I have ridden several that I feel turn better than my YZ in the slow stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2015 - 07:43 AM

FYI, a rekluse will not prevent flame outs. 

That depends on why you are flaming out.  If it's set up right it will just about eliminate them.  If the engine is idling too rich and too slow, you'll get stalling on a sudden throttle chop from under a load. 

• bigbird192

Posted November 09, 2015 - 10:13 PM

That depends on why you are flaming out. If it's set up right it will just about eliminate them. If the engine is idling too rich and too slow, you'll get stalling on a sudden throttle chop from under a load.

When people talk about flame outs on the FI bikes, they are not typically talking about improper use of the clutch. It is due to improper management of the air/fuel mixture, like you stated. There are ways to minimize this, but a rekluse is not one of them.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:11 AM

When people talk about flame outs on the FI bikes, they are not typically talking about improper use of the clutch.

While your point regarding fuel management is quite valid, we're going to have to disagree on the comment above with respect to off-road/desert technical riding. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.