- - - - -

2014 YZ450F Less Tension Throttle Spring Solution

• Please sign in to reply

18 replies to this topic
  • luckyguy19

TT Bronze Member

454 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 11:59 AM

I get arm pump pretty bad, but only on my throttle hand.  I rode a 2016 YZ450 this weekend and the lighter pull throttle spring (2015-2016) helped a bunch.  So with a little searching I found Tokyo Mods.  They sell a lighter pull spring for 2010-2014 CRF450 & 250.  This spring works on the 2014 YZ450F with some minor modifications.  

This is the stock spring.  

3p7DHOx.jpg

This is the Tokyo Mods spring as it comes. 

FzoELLt.jpg

These are the two modifications that need to be made.  First straiten the hook (red line).  Then unwind the spring 90 degrees (green line).  Clip the excess wire to make it look like the stock spring.  If your not getting enough preload, or the pull is too easy for you, you can unwind the spring up to 135 degrees to taylor it to your liking. 

5Z1T3fe.jpg

That's all you need to do.  To install the spring you just need to take out the one allen bolt for the throttle body cover on the left side of the bike.  Then one 11mm nut holds on the throttle cable wheel. Lightly tap the wheel to loosen it.   Also, remove the cables from the throttle tube on the handle bar to get some extra slack. 

Edited by luckyguy19, October 30, 2015 - 12:03 PM.

• moto867

TT Platinum Member

1,639 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Couldn't you have gotten a spring from a 15-16?

• luckyguy19

TT Bronze Member

454 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Couldn't you have gotten a spring from a 15-16?

You cannot buy the part separate from the throttle body, otherwise I would have gone that route. 

• moto867

TT Platinum Member

1,639 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Gotcha.

• MxSkater86

TT Bronze Member

310 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:25 AM

I did this same exact thing to my bike a few months ago. It was well worth the time to do it.

• Orvis309

TT Bronze Member

229 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 11:39 AM

I prefer the heavier pull

• Krannie McKranface and yzUSMCf like this
  • Like This

• luckyguy19

TT Bronze Member

454 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 04:30 PM

I prefer the heavier pull

I'm sure a lot of people do.  But there's a reason they went to a lighter spring for 15 and 16.   KTMs also seem to have a lighter pull. 

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,834 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Just did this mod.  Pretty easy.  Negotiating the wheel out of the throttle body off the spindle was the hardest part (not that hard).

• luckyguy19

TT Bronze Member

454 posts

Posted November 30, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Well this mod doesn't seem to help my arm pump at all, if anything it made it worse.   Almost like it is too easy now and my hand isn't getting enough feed back or I'm giving more gas than I want and hanging on too tight.  I also put this on right as it started to get really cold here.  So its the lighter spring, winter, or hitting the gym hard 3 times a week that's making arm pump worse.   I'm going back to the stock spring to see if it helps. 

Edited by luckyguy19, November 30, 2015 - 06:30 PM.

• Dklassen

TT Gold Member

1,083 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Well this mod doesn't seem to help my arm pump at all, if anything it made it worse. Almost like it is too easy now and my hand isn't getting enough feed back or I'm giving more gas than I want and hanging on too tight. I also put this on right as it started to get really cold here. So its the lighter spring, winter, or hitting the gym hard 3 times a week that's making arm pump worse. I'm going back to the stock spring to see if it helps.

It's likely the gym/hanging on too tight with your arms. Try gripping the bike with your legs more. You should be wearing out the insides of your pants, shredding graphics & seat covers if you're doing it right. Sometimes the death grip from doing weights translates into riding.

• grayracer513
42,881 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 01, 2015 - 07:13 AM

The muscles of your arms are like the rest, they're intended to be used part-time, like your legs when you run, with cycles of flexion and relaxation.  Gripping and holding firmly for many minutes at a time is unnatural, and causes arm pump in a lot of people when the pressure from the surrounding muscles compresses and restricts the blood flow through the arteries that feed them. 

You'll get rid of your arm pump when you learn to make yourself relax your arms momentarily at every opportunity that presents itself in between bumps and whatnot.  

Trust me on this one.  I was once the king of arm pump. 

• luckyguy19

TT Bronze Member

454 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:36 AM

The muscles of your arms are like the rest, they're intended to be used part-time, like your legs when you run, with cycles of flexion and relaxation.  Gripping and holding firmly for many minutes at a time is unnatural, and causes arm pump in a lot of people when the pressure from the surrounding muscles compresses and restricts the blood flow through the arteries that feed them. 

You'll get rid of your arm pump when you learn to make yourself relax your arms momentarily at every opportunity that presents itself in between bumps and whatnot.  

Trust me on this one.  I was once the king of arm pump. 

This is something I've been dealing with since I started riding in 2006.  I thought I had it licked.  Part of the problem is I don't properly warm up, so its always worse for me the colder it is.  I think if I don't go all out until I'm fully warm, I'll be ok.  And like you say, I need to practice relaxing when I have the opportunity.  It's part of the learning curve.  

• THUMPERRIDER1

TT Bronze Member

311 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:56 AM

what helps me is to pre pump my arms up before riding with a gyro ball. Then try to focus on squeezing bike with knees.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004RZIBZU

Edited by THUMPERRIDER1, December 04, 2015 - 07:57 AM.

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 05:35 PM

what helps me is to pre pump my arms up before riding with a gyro ball. Then try to focus on squeezing bike with knees.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004RZIBZU

gyro ball rules! Helps so much if you keep on it consistently throughout the week.

• JorgeVargas

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Hey, Luckyguy19, thank you so much for your topic, that's exactly what I was looking for. I use a Motion Pro quick turn throttle on my YZ450F 2012, but it makes the pull heavier. On a system that's already heavy, an even harder pull wasn't easy to deal with, but your solution was spot on for me. I wish I had searched for the lighter pull earlier, you posted your topic almost a year ago, I could have gotten what I have now way sooner. Anyway, I'm very happy, went testing my bike today, no right arm pump!

• Krannie McKranface
36,165 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 31, 2016 - 06:30 AM

Well this mod doesn't seem to help my arm pump at all, if anything it made it worse.   Almost like it is too easy now and my hand isn't getting enough feed back or I'm giving more gas than I want and hanging on too tight.  I also put this on right as it started to get really cold here.  So its the lighter spring, winter, or hitting the gym hard 3 times a week that's making arm pump worse.   I'm going back to the stock spring to see if it helps. 

That is the typcial result in my experience.

The only thing that helped my arm pump was a steering damper, larger grips (pillowtops), and squeezing the bike more, and the bars less......and using one of these at night: 

https://www.amazon.c...le roller stick

• grayracer513
42,881 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 31, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Arm pump is almost always the result of having a constant tight hold on the bars.  Your muscles were designed to be use cyclically, as in your legs while walking or running; tension-rest-tension-rest.  In many people, the continuous pressure of a constant grip causes the muscles of the forearm to restrict blood flow through the vessels in the arm, and the result is that the muscles are starved for oxygen and suffer from lactic acid build-up that isn't being transported away. 

Teach yourself to relax your grip as much as possible whenever possible, and your arm pump will fade.  Strengthening your grip will help by giving you the confidence that you can deal with the need to hold tighter as it arises, and not need to hold on tight all the time in case something comes up.

• JorgeVargas

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:14 PM

I'm a 55 years old amateur motocrosser, arm pump was always an issue until I started to focus on relaxing my arms whenever possible, over the years I got quite good in doing it, but with the YZ450 it was always difficult, too much power, the arm pump came back strong. What really got my attention, though, happened when I rode my brother's bike, a 2012 Honda CRF450R, no arm pump at all. Its throttle pull was way lighter, so I figured this could be the problem, and when the lighter spring was added, bingo! That was the end of my arm pump!

• yzUSMCf

TT Bronze Member

460 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Ive ridden by buddies 2016 yz450f and i felt the light throttle was dangerous for me coming off my 2014. Reason being is when im charging into a corner if there are any braking bumps ect i would accidentally blip the throttle almost resulting in throttle grip and i almost powered over a berm a few times. He on the other hand loves it i suppose i would have to get used to it. Ican see how it would result in more arm pump at first because i was always bracing preparing for the unexpected throttle imput.

As for arm pump like all of you i suffered from it aswell. Until a certan point in my skill level were i got more comfortable and big jumps were not as scary and going faster was not so intense for me , so naturally i loosend up as i got more comfortable which resulted in less arm pump. Im also pretty physically fit . I also used the gyro powerball and that helped alot. I ride about once a month now and only have armp pump my first 15-20 min of shredding then after a break and my blood is flowing im good to go. Its all about bing comfortable,relaxing, thinging about what your body is doing while you ride. And like the others said relaxing your arms whenever you can,grip with your legs.

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.