Yz450f or yz450fx

6 replies to this topic
  • Keithrw72

Posted October 30, 2015 - 04:41 AM

Looking to get back into the dirt bike scene after years of atvs. Just looking for opinions on what would best suit me for riding and fun/excitement. I won't be on the track but my riding will be sand dunes, gravel beds, open trails. Not really any "woods" riding besides a wide trail.

• harmetp

Posted October 30, 2015 - 05:38 AM

I'm older (55), but I'm thinking the magic button on a motocross bike is the ultimate.  Probably a little weight penalty and possibly some things are a little 'softer', but calling it a YZ is not the same as a WR.  Of course if the first gear is way tall you might be looking at a sprocket change or a rekluse.  I've wondered about a wr450 (have an old yz426) to get the magic button, but it sounds like the target market is more street/dirt road/trail.  It's surely capable in the right hands, but the YZ makes my less than capable hands feel a little more capable. 

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:24 AM

The X in a heart beat, for that sort of riding.  Built for it.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keithrw72

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:44 AM

That's my initial thought but no one has them in stock and I want to ride yesterday. Will a yzf be that much worse besides the magic button

• Brandon7711

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Don't get a different bike just so u can ride one specific day. Then in the long you you'll regret it. Wait it out

• Wiz636

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Pick up a cheap used YZ or WR just to get rolling until the FX comes out. If you buy a used bike right you can resell if for what you paid.

• Goatse

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:29 AM

The X in a heart beat, for that sort of riding. Built for it.

This. I have the 250FX and it's not really a 'woods bike' like the WR (hence them still building the WR). The FX handles the fast stuff better than any motorcycle I've ridden. The type of riding you explained sounds right in line with what the FX does best. This bike feels like I can just keep pushing and pushing and pushing in the fast whooped out stuff and wide trails. 4th gear tapped through a whoops section and it handles them without even a hint of being over ridden.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.