WR400F 1/8-1/4 Throttle miss/stumble/"out of fuel" feeling

29 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Did you ever find the needle, and if so, did it fix your problem, my bike acts normal everywhere except in 5th gear 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, I am wondering if this could be my issue as well.

We are talking about the needle jet, not the jet needle.

Your specific issue needs to be narrowed down 

-unplug the tps

- adjust your valves

- new plug gapped to.9\

...before assuming anything else

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:53 AM

We are talking about the needle jet, not the jet needle.

Your specific issue needs to be narrowed down 

-unplug the tps

- adjust your valves

- new plug gapped to.9\

...before assuming anything else

I just redid my valve train, so that can't be it, and I put in a new plug and gapped it, I did just finally finish replacing my clutch basket last night, my old one was notched pretty badly, waiting for the silicone gasket sealer to dry last night, so I am going to put some oil and coolant in after work today and give it a go to see if somehow (extremely unlikely I know) that was the issue.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 10:34 AM

I just redid my valve train, so that can't be it, and I put in a new plug and gapped it, I did just finally finish replacing my clutch basket last night, my old one was notched pretty badly, waiting for the silicone gasket sealer to dry last night, so I am going to put some oil and coolant in after work today and give it a go to see if somehow (extremely unlikely I know) that was the issue.

If your clutch basket was old enough to need replacing, then so are the wear components inside the carb: needle jet, slide plate seal, and possibly, the slide plate too, if all the coating is gone.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 19, 2015 - 12:58 PM

If your clutch basket was old enough to need replacing, then so are the wear components inside the carb: needle jet, slide plate seal, and possibly, the slide plate too, if all the coating

That is what my next step is going to be, and would it be possible for it to happen only in 5th gear? I'm going to put oil and coolant back in tonight and hope for the best, even though I don't even think I'll ever use 5th gear and I have yet to see any teeth or out of the ordinary metal parts in my oil, it still bugs the hell out of me.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 02:43 PM

That is what my next step is going to be, and would it be possible for it to happen only in 5th gear? I'm going to put oil and coolant back in tonight and hope for the best, even though I don't even think I'll ever use 5th gear and I have yet to see any teeth or out of the ordinary metal parts in my oil, it still bugs the hell out of me.

The gear you are in will have nothing to do with it, but the rpm and throttle postion will.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderDeAzul

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:09 PM

The gear you are in will have nothing to do with it, but the rpm and throttle postion will.

Just got done testing it, it snaps into fifth and then it feels like it pops out and slams back in, maybe I'm just a sissy and am not hitting fifth gear at a fast enough speed, damn I forgot how fast this thing is! Another stupid question... If my chain is not adjusted correctly would it also act up at a certain speed?

Edited by RiderDeAzul, November 19, 2015 - 03:30 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Just got done testing it, it snaps into fifth and then it feels like it pops out and slams back in, maybe I'm just a sissy and am not hitting fifth gear at a fast enough speed, damn I forgot how fast this thing is! Another stupid question... If my chain is not adjusted correctly would it also act up at a certain speed?

Your description is certainly NOT helping.

All Japanese motors have drive line 'snatch' felt as a 'slack' when the throttle is turn on/off at low rpms.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Sorry I am bad at describing stuff, if I havent found anything in the oil and it doesnt do it in any othet gear, perhaps i am just being a &%$#@! and not going fast enough, do you reckon it would be fine to ride a bit if it doesnt do it in any other gear than fifth? I am assuming i just need to get used to the bike, i dont need to even use fifth gear unless im on the road anyways

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Sorry I am bad at describing stuff, if I havent found anything in the oil and it doesnt do it in any othet gear, perhaps i am just being a &%$#@! and not going fast enough, do you reckon it would be fine to ride a bit if it doesnt do it in any other gear than fifth? I am assuming i just need to get used to the bike, i dont need to even use fifth gear unless im on the road anyways

You keep mentioning the gear you are in but not the rpm and throttle opening amount. 

The gear isn't going to matter....unless you actuall have a trans problem....which is highly unlikely.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:45 PM

1/8 to 1/4 just like OP

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.