How high strung is it?

26 replies to this topic
  • RiderDeAzul

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Actually a DRZ revs about as fast, if not faster than a WR. It just has 50 more pounds and 15 less hp.

An uncorked WR high strung? Maybe with $5k in motor work....it's about as docile as a 450 can be and still have torque. Probably, only the KTM500 is more docile in power delivery....

I never said an "uncorked wr" was high strung.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:25 PM

The point is that the Yamaha WR MOTOR specifically, is the most bulletproof ever built.

400ex

• GuyGraham

Posted November 04, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Actually a DRZ revs about as fast, if not faster than a WR. It just has 50 more pounds and 15 less hp.

Well, owning a DRZ and a WR I can honestly say that this is just not true

The DRZ revs so much slower than the WR & and it aint 15hp down either, unless you think a WR ,makes about 55hp

Have you even ridden a DRZ Krannie?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 04, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Well, owning a DRZ and a WR I can honestly say that this is just not true

The DRZ revs so much slower than the WR & and it aint 15hp down either, unless you think a WR ,makes about 55hp

Have you even ridden a DRZ Krannie?

I've owned (2) DRZ 400's, one E and one S

I've owned (4) WR 450's

If you uncork a DRZ-e and jet it properly, and set the ingnition timing correctly, it revs fast.

Rev's fast does not mean it 'goes' faster. It just means the speed that the rpms rise when in neutral.

• Spam16v

Posted November 04, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Just for bench racing sake, what's rough power outputs of an uncorked WR? Having not ridden mine yet, it's only for curiosity sake. I estimate with all the work done to my old DRZ it was near or at 50hp. The SM I had before the S I'm talking about was only jetted and exhaust (uncorked). Fun but oh so fat and heavy. This WR is probably going to be nearly 75lbs lighter than the old pig so I bet it should be pretty fair as long as I can shim the suspension into submission.

• stevethe

Posted November 05, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Just for bench racing sake, what's rough power outputs of an uncorked WR? Having not ridden mine yet, it's only for curiosity sake. I estimate with all the work done to my old DRZ it was near or at 50hp. The SM I had before the S I'm talking about was only jetted and exhaust (uncorked). Fun but oh so fat and heavy. This WR is probably going to be nearly 75lbs lighter than the old pig so I bet it should be pretty fair as long as I can shim the suspension into submission.

Estimating HP usually doesn't work too well.

A deresticted good running nearly stock 07-11 WR450 with a pipe can do around 48HP on a conservative rear wheel dyno.

• Spam16v

Posted November 05, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Estimating HP usually doesn't work too well.

A deresticted good running nearly stock 07-11 WR450 with a pipe can do around 48HP on a conservative rear wheel dyno.

Over in the DRZ world there were extensive dyno tests with various levels and types of mods before they ran Eddie/Burned out of town.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.