Just got a 2008 yz450f

Brand TBT racing

29 replies to this topic
  • racer8

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Atten Moderators: why can't I send or receive any PMs ?

• coastlinecascott

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Finally got around to starting it. The oil level is fine. I let it idle for a bit and ran it. Taking it to the track tomorrow ans run it through its paces to gauge what is needed or changed. Hopefully it does not bog or cut out before any triples. So far it has a dr d pipe and theotor stock. Havent got into the carb yet for jetting specs.

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:49 AM

Atten Moderators: why can't I send or receive any PMs ?

http://www.thumperta...elp&do=01&HID=8

• racer8

Posted November 04, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Finally got around to starting it. The oil level is fine. I let it idle for a bit and ran it. Taking it to the track tomorrow ans run it through its paces to gauge what is needed or changed. Hopefully it does not bog or cut out before any triples. So far it has a dr d pipe and theotor stock. Havent got into the carb yet for jetting specs.

How was the ride today?

http://www.thumperta...elp&do=01&HID=8

Thanks Gray,
I figured it out last night ..

• coastlinecascott

Posted November 04, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Racer, couldnt make it out today. Stuck at work. Heading out tomorrow to milestone. I hope its ready. Only taking one bike and milestone is an hour away. Cant wait to try it out. Ill post how it does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • writebrian

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Racer, couldnt make it out today. Stuck at work. Heading out tomorrow to milestone. I hope its ready. Only taking one bike and milestone is an hour away. Cant wait to try it out. Ill post how it does.

Ahhhh, Milestone! I miss California. I actually grew up about 10 minutes North of where Milestone is in Rubidoux. A neighborhood called Paramount Estates. Although there was nothing Stately about it.  We lived in a rough neighborhood. The area that is now Milestone was such a BAD neighborhood that even WE would not go down there. It was called Belltown and it was a stronghold of a very serious Crips gang.

Funny how things change over time. Just thought I would reminisce off topic for you all today!

Edited by writebrian, November 04, 2015 - 06:15 PM.

• coastlinecascott

Posted November 05, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Just got home from the track. I am a die hard 2 stroke guy. Must admit 4 strokes are easier to ride while going faster. Te 450 ran great and feel the jetting is close to spot on. Had a very good responsive throttle clean from bottom to top. It had Some deceleration popping. The suspension was done by tbt and felt very balanced yet soft for my weight. Not a huge deal since i am ripping into the fork and shock this weekend for my weight and riding. Overall very satisfied with it and plan on riding it along with the 2 stroke.

• Wiz636

Posted November 07, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Just got home from the track. I am a die hard 2 stroke guy. Must admit 4 strokes are easier to ride while going faster. Te 450 ran great and feel the jetting is close to spot on. Had a very good responsive throttle clean from bottom to top. It had Some deceleration popping. The suspension was done by tbt and felt very balanced yet soft for my weight. Not a huge deal since i am ripping into the fork and shock this weekend for my weight and riding. Overall very satisfied with it and plan on riding it along with the 2 stroke.

TBT suspension is the shizz.

A little bit of decal pop is normal on a properly jetted YZ450

• tmeyer37

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:27 AM

The first thing I would change is to replace the manual cam chain tensioner.

Grayracer, i am curious why you would recommend this. I own an 06 yz450f that still has the stock auto tensioner, would you make the same recommendation for my bike? 

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:40 AM

The automatic tensioner on YZF's is frankly excellent, is very, very rarely at fault for failures of any kind, and very nearly idiot proof.  And, of course, it's fully automatic, while a manual one requires constant monitoring, and is subject to errors in judgement as to how tight the chain should be set.

You see tensioner related problems basically only in two areas: In YZ250F's that are running extremely aggressive cam profiles (and often at insanely high RPM), and in bikes in which the cam chain develops binding, stiff links.  

My personal recommendation is to replace the cam chain every year, and the tensioner with every second chain.  

Related Content

Reviews

TBT racing suspension by DTM Industries

Suspension Suspension Tuning TBT racing suspension, Brand TBT racing
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by JustTakeItEasy
  • On September 17, 2016

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.