Just got a 2008 yz450f

Brand TBT racing

29 replies to this topic
  • coastlinecascott

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:24 AM

My first 4 stroke. From your recommendation i ordered a new cam chain and manual tensioner. I cleaning the throttle house and ordered a new air filter. It has a screen filter housing. Looks stock. He has a drd pipe and other stuff. Starts up first kick sounds good. Havent taken it out yet. Need a tall seat, suspension springs for my wieght. All ordered. What else should i change? Before taking it to the track

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:19 PM

The first thing I would change is to replace the manual cam chain tensioner.

• Dexter42

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:25 PM

An 06 cdi, dyno jet kit.

• coastlinecascott

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Just changed the oil and filter. Added one quart of castro rs 4t. I have not started it yet. However odd the oil barely registers on the dip stick. Like the very tip. It only suppose to hold one quart. Im lost

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:08 AM

You didn't put the oil where the dip stick is.  The dip stick is in the oil "tank", the storage reservoir in the front of the crankcase.  The oil fill is in the crankcase sump.  After it's been run for a minute, the oil will almost all be in the front, under the stick.  Also, with a filter change it takes a Liter of oil, without changing the filter it takes a quart.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...9-model-yz450s/

http://www.thumperta...e/#entry4319538

• coastlinecascott

Posted October 31, 2015 - 04:49 PM

I put the oil in the oil filler hole not in the dipstick hole. Do i add oil in any other area or does the oil level change after running the motor.

• writebrian

Posted October 31, 2015 - 09:26 PM

I've got an 06' CDI if interested. I shot you a PM. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2015 - 06:37 PM

I put the oil in the oil filler hole not in the dipstick hole. Do i add oil in any other area or does the oil level change after running the motor.

Read his post again

Edited by KRANNIE, November 01, 2015 - 06:37 PM.

• coastlinecascott

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Ok. So after running it goes from the oil fill area to were the dipstick reads from?

• Yzflier977

Posted November 02, 2015 - 05:26 PM

Order a manual........you'll post fewer questions and have to wait for replies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racer8

Posted November 02, 2015 - 05:51 PM

What's the advantage of using an 06 cdi?

• writebrian

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Has the most efficient map for the 2006-2009 motor. Provides a better initial hit and longer pull. Usually Yamaha makes the first year of any style change very aggressive. Then they take feedback and mellow it after that. 2006 was the first year if the aluminum frame Yami's so they made it aggressive. Same goes for the 2003 first year 450 bike/motor. It was a 4 speed BEAST! It got mellowed in 2004.

• racer8

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:40 PM

Pm me a price for the cdi.

• Wiz636

Posted November 02, 2015 - 09:29 PM

Has the most efficient map for the 2006-2009 motor. Provides a better initial hit and longer pull. Usually Yamaha makes the first year of any style change very aggressive. Then they take feedback and mellow it after that. 2006 was the first year if the aluminum frame Yami's so they made it aggressive. Same goes for the 2003 first year 450 bike/motor. It was a 4 speed BEAST! It got mellowed in 2004.

Kind of. The '06 has a strong bottom end with a very linear pull all the way to the top like you mention, but for sheer aggression the '08 has a stronger (almost violent) top end. The '08 doesn't make as much down low however. The '06 has a much better power curve for offroading.

That said, the '08 motor is great for offroading also, just different.

• writebrian

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:23 AM

Pm me a price for the cdi.

Your profile won't let me send a private message for some reason. See if you can PM me and I will reply to it. 

• writebrian

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Kind of. The '06 has a strong bottom end with a very linear pull all the way to the top like you mention, but for sheer aggression the '08 has a stronger (almost violent) top end. The '08 doesn't make as much down low however. The '06 has a much better power curve for offroading.

That said, the '08 motor is great for offroading also, just different.

Sounds better when you say it…

I don't disagree with you at all. However, I think aggression is more readily felt coming from the bottom end. That's why the 06' gives that impression. I love everything about the power curve of my bike. I finally put a weighted flywheel in last year and love it even more!

Edited by writebrian, November 03, 2015 - 09:27 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2015 - 10:46 AM

In fact, the '08 and '09, although they share the same high RPM biased camshaft set, and the same extraordinarily lame stock exhaust system, have two distinct CDI's with different maps.  The '09 has a much stronger low & mid range than the '08, and the same power up top without the more sudden transition that evokes the "aggressive top end" comments. 

Ditch the cute little "shorty" muffler if it still has it, along with the oversized header, and add either the '06 or '09 CDI.

• racer8

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:56 PM

In fact, the '08 and '09, although they share the same high RPM biased camshaft set, and the same extraordinarily lame stock exhaust system, have two distinct CDI's with different maps.  The '09 has a much stronger low & mid range than the '08, and the same power up top without the more sudden transition that evokes the "aggressive top end" comments. 

Ditch the cute little "shorty" muffler if it still has it, along with the oversized header, and add either the '06 or '09 CDI.

Gray... what exhaust system do you recommend ?
WriteBrain.... Pms aren't working on my end either!

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:28 PM

I use a DRD stainless with the spark arrestor built in.  The choice is based on my perception of overall value, not necessarily the most power. You can spend a ridiculous amount of money on a pipe, and I'm not inclined toward that.

• writebrian

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:36 PM

Gray... what exhaust system do you recommend ?
WriteBrain.... Pms aren't working on my end either!

Ping a Mod to see if your account needs some sort of further activation. You can have the CDI for $70 shipped. 

Related Content

Reviews

TBT racing suspension by DTM Industries

Suspension Suspension Tuning TBT racing suspension, Brand TBT racing
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by JustTakeItEasy
  • On September 17, 2016

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.