- - - - -

2013 WR450F Water Pump Leak (weep hole)

• Please sign in to reply

7 replies to this topic
  • gr4vitas

TT Bronze Member

208 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:41 AM

So a few months ago I noticed some coolant coming out of my weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. Did a little research apparently somewhat common on the WR's for the water pump seals to go, at least specifically on the water side (water seal). 

Anyway bought a replacement kit which had both oil and water seals as well as a bearing. Took the clutch case cover off replaced both seals and bearing (why not kit came with it all). All was well until yesterday. I had been running distilled water in the bike since I replaced the seals, about 4 months. Yesterday I finally got around to buying some coolant, throw the coolant in and crank it up. While I'm checking around the pump to make sure I tightened the drain bolt properly I noticed some liquid at the bottom of the pump cover. Figured it was just left over from when I drained it, wipe it away with a shop towel give the bike a rev and what do you know its &%$#@!ing leaking again.

I turned the bike off let it sit for about 10 minutes, cranked it back up and went for a quick spin down the road and back with a shop rag tucked underneath the pump cover. Got back and had a fair amount of coolant on it.

Anyway I'm about to order another seal and bearing set, I'll probably just try replacing the water side seal first this time as its quick and easy to get to.

My question is, even though people say this is somewhat common on the WR's is 4 months common? That seems a little crazy to me. When I replaced the first one as far as I know they were factory (kid that owned it before me didn't do anything to the bike).

I inspected the impeller shaft and it didn't seem to have any particular wear or lines where the seals sit on it. There is a step in the shaft but that's by design.

It sounds crazy but I'm going to drain the coolant tonight and put distilled back in it and run it and see if it still leaks. Just weird that it was fine all season then as soon as I finally swap out to coolant it starts leaking.

I don't want to spend the $40 on the shaft if the shaft is fine, which it seemed like it was.

Edited by gr4vitas, October 29, 2015 - 09:45 AM.

• GuyGraham

TT Platinum Member

1,671 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:42 AM

4mths is a bit of a short life, but yes they seem to fail regular

Mine last about 2yrs from new, then would leak at the beginning of each year when I got it out after winter storage (with coolant)

This year however, it leaked at the beginning of the year. I put a new seal in as usual but started leaking again in about August

I plan on checking the balancer shaft bearings as detailed in this thread, this winter

http://www.thumperta... balncer shaft

• gr4vitas

TT Bronze Member

208 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:25 PM

4mths is a bit of a short life, but yes they seem to fail regular

Mine last about 2yrs from new, then would leak at the beginning of each year when I got it out after winter storage (with coolant)

This year however, it leaked at the beginning of the year. I put a new seal in as usual but started leaking again in about August

I plan on checking the balancer shaft bearings as detailed in this thread, this winter

http://www.thumperta... balncer shaft

Thanks for the info, so maybe I just got unlucky and these new seals happen to go quick.

Do you usually just replace the coolant side seal when you do? Or do you replace both seals and the bearing from the kit?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 29, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hum I have an 07, 08 and a 09 in my garage without any leaks in there lifetime. However I'm heavy on the coolant.

• GuyGraham

TT Platinum Member

1,671 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info, so maybe I just got unlucky and these new seals happen to go quick.

Do you usually just replace the coolant side seal when you do? Or do you replace both seals and the bearing from the kit?

Just the leaky coolant side seal, as the bearing and oil side seal are fine

I use Gen Yam seals, as its a special that is an odd size and doesn't seem available as off the shelf seal from a bearing shop

• David Robertson_297024

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Just picked up a WR450F today and got this same problem, bike has been sitting for 4 months after getting a rebuild. quite a bit of coolant coming out within about 60 seconds of being started. It's a 2006 model

Edited by David Robertson_297024, October 01, 2016 - 09:03 AM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 01, 2016 - 10:55 AM

If you don't run the motor, this is common.

You can't let a bike sit for 6+ months and not expect problems, unless you prepped it for storage.

I would never ever use water coolant in my cooling systems , as it promotes corrosion.... 

• GuyGraham

TT Platinum Member

1,671 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 12:24 PM

That is why you should use 50:50 mix of anti freeze even if you dont have subzero temps as it contains corrosion inhibiters.

Nothing wrong with with deionized water/anti freze coolant..millions of vehicles using it with no problems of corrosion
All of these alternative coolants are a solution in search of a problem

Edited by GuyGraham, October 01, 2016 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.