cant get right side oil drain bolt out on my 2006yz450f

14 replies to this topic
  • Vickers 95

Posted October 28, 2015 - 09:41 PM

Can only get left side oil drain bolt out on my 2006 yz450f.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:29 AM

What exactly is the problem?  Bolt stripped and won't unscrew, or you can't figure out how to get at it, or what? 

• Vickers 95

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:44 AM

It just will not break loose. And it accually does not look like the original bolt thats in it...

• Vickers 95

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:02 AM

It just wont break loose. And it doesn't look like the original bolt .. Im hopeing the previous owndr didnt strip out the threads and forced an oversised bolt in to the drain bolt hole....

• Benny_kx450f

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Try using a compression gun generally they should do the job

• Vickers 95

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:35 AM

Would it be ok to drain what i can from the other oil drain holes and from the filter. Install new filter and oil. Or could i mess things up by not draining from both sides?

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Try using a compression gun generally they should do the job

You obviously have no idea where this particular bolt is located or you wouldn't suggest that.  The only way to put any kind of socket arrangement on it would be to start by removing the engine.

Would it be ok to drain what i can from the other oil drain holes and from the filter. Install new filter and oil. Or could i mess things up by not draining from both sides?

Not OK.  The nearest you could get to OK would be to at least be certain that you run the engine just prior to the oil change so as to minimize the amount of oil in the crankcases. 

Is it an oversized bolt?  The stocker has a 12mm head (10mm threads), and you should be able to get a box end on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vickers 95

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:59 PM

No its not the stock bolt for sure... Its a fairly large alan head bolt. What i did do to get to it was cut down the correct size alan wrench and it fit perfect.and even put a pipe over the wrench for leverage and it didnt budge.... And i know its the correct bolt to remove.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2015 - 01:10 PM

And we're going to boldy assume that you're turning in the right direction (counterclockwise, looking at the top of the bolt) and haven't gotten confused by laying on your back, or something like that.

That sounds like a situation, alright.  Better plan to get some eyes/hands on help with that.  No telling what.  In the meantime, you can remove the clutch cover and lean the bike over as far as possible to get at some of what you can't drain.  Be careful not to overfill.  Add back about 750-800cc instead of the full liter you'd use with an oil filter, then run, shut down, check level, and add as needed.

• Vickers 95

Posted October 29, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Lol.thx.. Thats great advice, but yes my father taught me long ago...."RIGHTY TIGHTY,LEFTY LOOSY.... BUT THX.... I' ll update soon thx again gray....

• jimbopitts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 03:01 PM

Put a boxed end wrench on it and tap the wrench gently with a rubber mallet to try to break the bolt loose

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:04 AM

A box end wrench on an Allen bolt?  You haven't been following....

• jimbopitts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 03:34 PM

Nope, didn't catch the allen bolt part. Thanks gray, as usual you are extremely helpful. Lol

• mike_dean

Posted November 03, 2015 - 01:06 PM

Remember there is no left and right in a circle, only clockwise or counter clockwise.

• YZPaGuy

Posted November 07, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Sounds like they put lock tite on it to keep the bolt in there because they could get a torque wrench on an Allen key bolt head. Probably going to take heat to get it out but that's not an easy spot to get to.

People are awesome aren't they, lol.

If you can get it laid over maybe you can carefully get some heat on the case to break the thread lock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.