Shorai vs Cheap battery?

41 replies to this topic
  • Thumperist

Posted October 27, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hey guys, I'm about to buy a little wr450f thumper and it has a dead battery. So now I'm looking it get a new battery and I came across some pretty cheap ones... Here are the links.....

https://jet.com/prod...NxT4RoCUtnw_wcB

http://www.batterysh...WiDAhoCuhfw_wcB

http://www.batterysh...ZFVDBoCstzw_wcB

So why are they so cheap??? Are these batteries just crap? Would I be better off just geting a Shorai? Please let me know your opinions guys. Thanks in advance!

• Thumperist

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Hey guys, I am looking to get a wr450... I found a used one on craigslist and it's pretty cheap so I wanted to pick it up... Only thing is, it has a dead battery. He said it won't hold a charge but he can jump the bike so I can ride it and theres nothing else wrong with it... But, I am wondering if there are any other problems asociated with dead batteries (other things to look out for), before the pull the trigger. If anyone knows, please let me know. I don't wanna buy it and run into any problems. Thanks in advance!

• usedtobefast

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:16 PM

If you have a working kick starter and can start the bike that way ...  (think "back up" for the battery)

If you ride weekly or can hook up a battery tender every 1-2 weeks ...

If you don't really care to lighten your bike by 2-3 lbs ...

Then get a cheap battery.  

I typically get the Shorai batteries as I am lazy with a battery tender and have multiple bikes, so they can sit a while between using them.  

• Thumperist

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Wait... Question. I am new to dirt bikes so please forgive my ignorance. But you said I can start the bike with a kick starter even with a dead battery?

• Thumperist

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys, I am looking to get a wr450... I found a used one on craigslist and it's pretty cheap so I wanted to pick it up... Only thing is, it has a dead battery. He said it won't hold a charge but he can jump start the bike so I can ride it and theres nothing else wrong with it... But, I am wondering if there are any other problems asociated with dead batteries (other things to look out for), before the pull the trigger. If anyone knows, please let me know. Or if you just wanna give me some tips on things to look out for when buying, please chime in. All replies are appreciated. I just don't wanna buy it and run into any problems. Thanks in advance!

• William1

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:42 PM

Tell the guy to buy a new battery. It is a maintenance item. If he balks and offers to drop the price f the bike the price of the battery, walk. It is the same mentality that goes with guy saying 'Bike runs great, but needs a new spark plug to get running'. If he buys the battery, bring a multi meter to confirm the charging system is working.

Wait... Question. I am new to dirt bikes so please forgive my ignorance. But you said I can start the bike with a kick starter even with a dead battery?

Yes.

• Thumperist

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hmm, well what if I bring the battery? (I can take the battery out of my motorcycle) And lets say I put it in and it works, is there anything else that could be wrong with the bike from the dead battery? I mean if it's just the battery than I have no problems getting it.

• William1

Posted October 27, 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hmm, well what if I bring the battery? (I can take the battery out of my motorcycle) And lets say I put it in and it works, is there anything else that could be wrong with the bike from the dead battery? I mean if it's just the battery than I have no problems getting it.

Nope, a bad battery is simply a bad battery. If you connect a good on and the charging system functions properly, then that is all there is to it.

12.8 volts, engine/bike off, about 13.5 at idle and about 14.5 at speed.

I also suggest making sure the bike is stone cold when you test start it.

• Thumperist

Posted October 27, 2015 - 05:13 PM

Will do. Anything else you have in mind that I should take into account?

• BushPig

Posted October 27, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys, I am looking to get a wr450... I found a used one on craigslist and it's pretty cheap so I wanted to pick it up... Only thing is, it has a dead battery. He said it won't hold a charge but he can jump the bike so I can ride it and theres nothing else wrong with it... But, I am wondering if there are any other problems asociated with dead batteries (other things to look out for), before the pull the trigger. If anyone knows, please let me know. I don't wanna buy it and run into any problems. Thanks in advance!

Check the bike over, listen for any noises when he starts and runs the bike.

Don't rush, test the gears out etc.

Non running bikes can be a real gamble, don't let the seller rush you when he gets it started.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • faceplant1980

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:16 PM

I have a pet peeve about buying bikes with warm engines when I show up to buy them.  Cold starts only for me.

• William1

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:07 AM

Nothing other than normal used bike inspection. If you can do a leak down test, all the better.

Typical logic says to question deeper anything that is wrong with the machine. Why doesn't the current owner take care of it. What else have they neglected?

• seer

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:16 AM

I'd do it if the rest of the bike suited me. No reason to think the stators bad and not charging. He could just charge the battery if that was the case.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:37 AM

I bought a Tusk battery off of rockymountainatvmc and haven't had any issues with it, it was reasonably priced too.

• jmd426

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:02 AM

Yuasa,earthx and odyssey are the only batteries i use.  To many failures of cheap batteries over the years, save money in the long run with quality.

• woods-rider

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:03 AM

You are comparing lead acid battery prices to lithium, that's why they seem so cheap.

• usedtobefast

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:22 AM

What year WR450 is it?  My understanding is non fuel injected bikes with a dead battery can be kick started.  For fuel injected bikes, some can be kicked started with a dead battery, some can not, and it depends on how dead is dead.  With fuel injection, you need the pump to prime so the bike can get gas.  Non KTM motocross bikes don't have batteries at all, and have fuel injection, and can be kick started.  I am not sure about the fuel injected WR450.

As for the dead battery, it could be just the battery, or it could be a problem with the charging system, or it could be some electrical problem that drains the battery.  Most likely the guy just did not take care of the battery (not riding enough, not keeping the battery on a battery tender) and it died from that.  

I would either want a great deal on the bike, or have the seller put in a new battery and have that working properly.  

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  I bought a used bike at a great price with a charging issue.  I traced the wiring and one connector was broken off, fixed that, charging fine since then.  Whew.

• Thumperist

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:24 AM

What year WR450 is it?  My understanding is non fuel injected bikes with a dead battery can be kick started.  For fuel injected bikes, some can be kicked started with a dead battery, some can not, and it depends on how dead is dead.  With fuel injection, you need the pump to prime so the bike can get gas.  Non KTM motocross bikes don't have batteries at all, and have fuel injection, and can be kick started.  I am not sure about the fuel injected WR450.

As for the dead battery, it could be just the battery, or it could be a problem with the charging system, or it could be some electrical problem that drains the battery.  Most likely the guy just did not take care of the battery (not riding enough, not keeping the battery on a battery tender) and it died from that.  

I would either want a great deal on the bike, or have the seller put in a new battery and have that working properly.  

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  I bought a used bike at a great price with a charging issue.  I traced the wiring and one connector was broken off, fixed that, charging fine since then.  Whew.

It's a 2003 WR450f and it's not fuel injected. But supposedly the 2003's are notorious for these problems... I gotta read up more on it. See if it's even worth it. Thanks for the thoughts though.

• Thumperist

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Nothing other than normal used bike inspection. If you can do a leak down test, all the better.

Typical logic says to question deeper anything that is wrong with the machine. Why doesn't the current owner take care of it. What else have they neglected?

Whats a leak down test? And yes, I will be like a prosecutor at trial, cross examining the other side lol... I will not be getting suckered... I'm in no rush to get this thing. He said he doesn't have the time to deal with it... Nor do I really mind about the battery. He has it up for 2500, but if it's good I'm gonna try to talk him down to 2000... It will probably just need a new battery and stator, hopefully lol. And yes I've considered that too... "What else have they neglected?" but I still think it's worth checking out. It's only got 960ish miles.

• William1

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:39 AM

A leak down test is where a set of gauges are attached to the engine via the spark plug hole. The engine is pressurized, the supply of air shut off and you watch for pressure drop over time. Same thing a plumber does to pass inspection. Google 'Leak Down Test'.

A read flag to me is a guy who is selling because he 'does not have time to deal with it' usually means, he dealt with it and decided to try to unload it instead of fixing it. Like the guy that claim it just needs a spark plug to run.

Iyt might honestly need just a battery. Or the stator went, left chunks of metal all over in the engine and needs a complete rebuild. He got most of the chunks out and decided it was time to dump it rather than fix it.

Sellers are rarely honest, unfortunately. Some are. You have to step carefully.

FYI, running, with a good battery, it is worth about $1,650 +/- depending on condition.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.