Throttle response / power at elevation

1 reply to this topic
  • shckonase

Posted October 26, 2015 - 11:50 AM

I ride a 2008 wr450 at elevation ~ 4-8k. I rode down to 1-2k the other day and was very impressed with how much more power and throttle response I get down there. In terms of my ability to lift the front wheel, at 4-8k I can clutch up in 3rd easily but would really have to pre-load and pull hard to power up in 3rd. Down at 1-2k I can power up in 3rd no problem and clutch up in 4th easily. Is it even possible to achieve the performance I experience at lower elevations up here at 4-8k? or is the air just too thin? 

2008 wr450, AIS removed, Grey Wire disconnected, TPS disconnected, FMF Powerbomb w/ Q4 exhaust, 06 yz exhaust cam, 162 main jet, 42 or 45 pilot (can't remember), JD red needle (3rd or 4th), Air box opened up (probably more than I should have, I have to clean it often), flexjet mixture screw, boyesen quickshot 3, AP o-ring mod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Lean out your jetting for the higher elevations]

You can use the stock 2006 YZ needle for an immediate change

The JD red needle is too rich for anything but sea level to 5 k max.

You can try the blue needle too.

If it is tough to get the fuel screw to adjust lean enough at that elevation, you can go down a size in the pilot

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.