Bike wont start 01 yz426

4 replies to this topic
  • DesertLyfe619

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:49 AM

My bike wont start. The kick starter is suck. I was riding up a dune i wasnt going to make it for i didnt have a paddle so i laid the bike down. I rolled the bike down the dune and popped the clutch and the bike started for a sec then died. Wouldnt start, possible fouled plug so i changed it but not luck. The kick starter got stuck after a couple kicks. I have no idea where to start help please! if i need to rebuild the top end can i get a rough estimate of how much it will cost.

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:20 AM

You need to start by diagnosing what exactly what is and is not stuck. 

If you have a manual decompression lever, put the bike in a higher gear, leave the clutch lever out (clutch engaged) and push it to see if the engine turns.  If you don't have the manual decomp anymore, remove the spark plug for this test.  If the engine turns, then there is a kick starter problem, and the whole of the kick starter assembly is under the right side crankcase cover. 

If the engine will not turn by rolling in gear with the clutch engaged, begin by removing the cam cover and checking the valve timing.  It may have slipped time because of a stiffened chain.  The bad news is that if the engine was locked because of that, you will probably have bent a valve, but take a look first before panicking. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertLyfe619

Posted October 27, 2015 - 08:01 AM

You need to start by diagnosing what exactly what is and is not stuck. 

If you have a manual decompression lever, put the bike in a higher gear, leave the clutch lever out (clutch engaged) and push it to see if the engine turns.  If you don't have the manual decomp anymore, remove the spark plug for this test.  If the engine turns, then there is a kick starter problem, and the whole of the kick starter assembly is under the right side crankcase cover. 

If the engine will not turn by rolling in gear with the clutch engaged, begin by removing the cam cover and checking the valve timing.  It may have slipped time because of a stiffened chain.  The bad news is that if the engine was locked because of that, you will probably have bent a valve, but take a look first before panicking. 

So i replaced the spark plug and also was able to move the piston and the crank. It only will decompress when i rock the bike back and forth in high gear. I was able to start the bike but then i gave it gas and i completely shut off and the crank was hard to push down again until i rocked the bike like before. I dont really want to tear the bike apart my self so im going to be taking it to a shop soon.

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2015 - 08:02 AM

It could be a number of things, but it's starting to sound like a rod bearing locking up.

• DesertLyfe619

Posted October 27, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Yea the bike would make a kind of a scrapping noise when I would move the piston and when it would kick over

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.