Fork leaking

4 replies to this topic
  • DRockk

Posted October 25, 2015 - 02:40 PM

After my ride today I noticed my right fork is leaking fairly bad and now it handles like poo. So the question is, fix it myself or take it to the shop; either way how much is this going to cost?

• 15thumper

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:24 PM

35 for parts, labor 150 most shops, you can do it either buy tools or Google home made way

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:03 AM

Year model?

Fork seals often leak just because they're packed with dirt.  Start by cleaning the inner fork tube of any dirt or mud (never ride with dried mud on the fork, BTW,  not even water spots if you can help it)  Pull down the dust covers.  Tear a business card lengthways, work it up under the seal, and go around the tube with the "fuzzy" edge of the card forward.  This will often times stop the leak. 

• whoops dude

Posted October 28, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Older bike: just go ahead and replace the seals and oil. easy to do.

New Bike: follow grayracer's instructions above.

• DRockk

Posted December 04, 2015 - 11:07 AM

I actually bought a seal mate for 6 bucks on ebay and it fixed my problem. There was dirt in the seals causing them to leak. The seal mate reseated them and I haven't had a problem since!!! Saved me $225 I was about to spend on fork seal repair when they were just dirty!!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.