2008 yz450 glowing header

8 replies to this topic
  • rod1313

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:53 AM

Getting stumped here on my bike.  This bike has always treated me good.  Recently I noticed my header was getting hot (glowing red hot).  It starts and runs just fine, very little backfire on decel with a throttle chop but nothing serious.

Started off with running my air/fuel screw in.  Was at 1 1/2 turns out, ran it all the way in, in increments of 1/2 turns with no change.

Cleaned all the jets out in the carb and didn't notice any to be plugged.

Checked intake boot for air leaks, nothing there.

Any ideas?

• Jimmy boy

Posted October 22, 2015 - 08:03 AM

Getting stumped here on my bike. This bike has always treated me good. Recently I noticed my header was getting hot (glowing red hot). It starts and runs just fine, very little backfire on decel with a throttle chop but nothing serious.

Started off with running my air/fuel screw in. Was at 1 1/2 turns out, ran it all the way in, in increments of 1/2 turns with no change.

Cleaned all the jets out in the carb and didn't notice any to be plugged.

Checked intake boot for air leaks, nothing there.

Any ideas?

was the bike sitting there at idle? The header pipe is titanium I believe and when it's not in motion could become red hot.

• Aka.Goose

Posted October 22, 2015 - 08:16 AM

was the bike sitting there at idle? The header pipe is titanium I believe and when it's not in motion could become red hot.

For sure will glow if Ti. The first few times running my bike at night I was freaking out. They glow pretty quick, and cool quick, hard to tell it's happening when in the sun...I run a Boyesen and ZipTy coolant for piece of mind that it's not actually overheating, haha...

• Jimmy boy

Posted October 22, 2015 - 08:44 AM

For sure will glow if Ti. The first few times running my bike at night I was freaking out. They glow pretty quick, and cool quick, hard to tell it's happening when in the sun...I run a Boyesen and ZipTy coolant for piece of mind that it's not actually overheating, haha...

that Evans is good shit!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • iFR

Posted October 22, 2015 - 09:39 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445535534.855580.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445535550.037967.jpg
Don't worry. Perfectly normal ;)

• rod1313

Posted October 22, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Lol. Cool thanks guys. Now that I think about it I noticed it @ night....... And yes it was on the stand idling... When I keep moving I don't notice it

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 22, 2015 - 03:18 PM

These bikes like to move. They get hot fast sitting on the stand idling.

• rod1313

Posted October 22, 2015 - 04:36 PM

I just can't remember mine glowing red. O well, running like a top

• iFR

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Yep, mine if stands idling about 2 min, will throw out coolant

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.