BK Mod done, and valves checked...couple of questions???

3 replies to this topic

Posted February 28, 2002 - 04:18 AM

Well after reading about the BK Mod for months now me and my mechanic finally tackled the job, thanks to Motoman393's great step by step process. Checked the valves for the first time since it was new, (40-50hrs) and all were in spec. Good news since we did not have any shims if they were needed. Installed Renthal sprocket kit and EK blue X-ring chain. After was all said and done, put it back together, and attempted to fire her up. I couldn't believe it, first kick, it has never started on the first kick. Idles good, especially after it is warm. Took it out on the pavement here at work and just eased through first gear, clicked 2nd gear and rolled on easily, bike stood straight up through 3 gears. No backfiring hesitation or anything, seemed to run great with great throttle response. Can't wait to get it on the track and see how it runs. I did not change any jetting just performed the mod and put the carb back on. Just wondering if I should change any jets or adjust the air/fuel screw?? Don't want it to run lean or anything. Fuel squirt is about .1 second i think just missing the slide. Let me know guys if I should do anything else or just leave as is and ride it if no backfiring or anything is happening. Thanks! Before I did this mod bike seemed to run a little rich according to plug. Also I am just a little above sea level with temps in the 40's to 50's right now but can't wait for the 60's and 70's eventually leading to summer and 90's!! How long should I wait before checking my valves again? Any info greatly appreciated, Frank :) :D

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: FASTFRANK ]

Posted March 01, 2002 - 04:17 AM

what do you think guys? Ride it like it is for awhile and see what I got, or should I change some jetting or air/fuel screw settings? For similiar conditions what are you running? Thanks, Frank

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX_Tuner

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:43 AM

I'd ride it and don't change anything unless you have a reason to.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:16 AM

Ride it. Ride it like somebody else it payin the bills

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.