Chain/sprocket options

3 replies to this topic
  • rhinoracin

Posted October 21, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Getting new chain and sprockets soon. Haven't purchased a chain in a long time, but from what I remember x-ring's are the way to go for off-road/desert racing? If so, is the DID 520ERV3 the best one available?

And I'm looking for the best aluminum inner/steel outer rear sprocket, or whatever is very strong, light and trick. I've had a Renthal twinring and a couple others before, but I'm just trying to see what else is out there. Looking for a grey/titanium/silver or magnesium color.

Edited by rhinoracin, October 21, 2015 - 08:47 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2015 - 09:09 AM

I've used the Regina ORN6 O-ring chain exclusively for over ten years.  Cost less than the ERV3, and lasts a ridiculous amount of time.  The top and bottom edges of the plates usually wear down almost to the rollers from running on all the rubber guides before it "stretches" 1.5%.   I usually get about 18-20 months out of them.

I have been using Tag Metals sprockets because of their light weight and good wear (they hard anodize them).  They look good, too, and they make a medium grey.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rhinoracin

Posted October 21, 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thanks I'll check out the Tag sprockets...how long do they last compared to steel sprockets?

For the chain, I'm not worried about the price

Edited by rhinoracin, October 21, 2015 - 09:53 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2015 - 12:27 PM

When A is the equal of B for much less money, I consider the price.

Tags last a long time if the chain is maintained in good condition, which is to say, at less than 2% over length. I usually don't have to replace the rear when I replace the first chain it's been run with.  

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.