2005 yz450 oil tank overflowing

1 reply to this topic
  • jeredlee

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:32 PM

I just put a whole new top end in my bike. Only problem is when bike is cold oil doesn't register on the dip stick. After the bike has been running And I check the oil it overflows out of the dip stick port. Any one know why this would happen. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2015 - 07:12 AM

Well, yes.  It flows out the dip stick hole because it's too full.  It doesn't register when it's cold because the oil has migrated down form the tank section of the frame back into the crankcase due to the effects of gravity, and the oil leaking slowly through the oil pump.

Always check the oil level after the engine has been run for at least one minute and shut off for no more than 5.  Read these two posts, they explain the whole thing:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.