When is Yamaha going to... ?

34 replies to this topic
  • 91kdx25088

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:50 PM

Yes, but also he has found it to be a bugger just to get the seat on right sometimes due to the contact it makes with the battery.   What would it cost, a couple of ounces for some kind of strap on the battery?  I'm all for shaving weight, but only if it makes sense.  As noted above with the Yami regulator, it bolts to a bracket, which in turn is bolted to the frame.  Makes sense to bolt directly to the frame instead of having the bracket, but I do believe the bracket also acts as a retainer to hold the electrical wires passing by the left side of the steering head so I kind of get why they did that. 

Sounds like he has an aftermarket battery that is bigger and the rubber mounting strap doesn't fit anymore and since the seat comes in contact someone figured that would be a suitable restraint.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:09 PM

Sounds like he has an aftermarket battery that is bigger and the rubber mounting strap doesn't fit anymore and since the seat comes in contact someone figured that would be a suitable restraint.

Not sure, but he said it does not have a strap and he bought it new.

• 91kdx25088

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Not sure, but he said it does not have a strap and he bought it new.

I seriously wonder if it has the hole and loop, I think that's how it works on that bike, that the strap attaches to.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:43 PM

I think his is a 2013.  His model has no strap   

But my point in general is that sometimes to save a couple of ounces you can't always build a better mouse trap as well.  When I looked under his seat and saw this weird little wedge shaped protrusion on the backside of the fender that was supposed to help form the base of the battery that had to then use the clamping force of the seat to hold it down I could only say, "wow, why?" 

Edited by OUTERLIMITS, November 13, 2015 - 10:01 PM.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:44 AM

I agree that Yamaha durability is fantastic and I love it. But all you need to do is look at a KTM and a Yamaha side by side and you start to see how KTM builds a bike that is 10 pounds lighter. It doesn't have to be less strong. Just compare the KTM kickstand spring to the Yamaha kick stand spring. The Yamaha part is twice the size and weight. Ditto for the kickstand mount. Ditto for how the voltage regulator mounts to the front of the frame, etc. It adds up.

KTM sure was smart when they posted all of their weight specifications WITHOUT FUEL a genius marketing accomplishment! Everyone actually thinks their bikes are lightweight!
Gasoline weighs just over 6lbs per gallon you can either subtract 14 pounds from a Yamaha advertised weight or add 15 to a KTM based on their respective tank sizes and you'll see the weight difference is negligible.
My KTM friends were teasing me because they say my new 450 fx will be a heavy pig compared to their KTM's
I was really close to getting the 2016 KTM 450 xc-f but if I take a 262 lb 450fx replace the battery with a lithium and remove the kick starter just like the KTM. That removes 15 lbs bringing it to 247 subtract the fuel and I get 233 which makes it a few pounds less than the lightest enduro KTM 450 even a WR 450 which I believe is 9 lbs heavier than the FX is within a couple pounds of the KTM when you do the same.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Euro bikes are $50 to $100 more per pound saved, and have inferior suspension, torque, and longevity.....which is where the extra weight comes from...

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 06, 2015 - 05:07 PM

I was really close to getting the 2016 KTM 450 xc-f but if I take a 262 lb 450fx replace the battery with a lithium and remove the kick starter just like the KTM. That removes 15 lbs.

Replacing the battery with a Shorai removes 3.12 pounds.   Just did it on my YZ250FX.  

Removing the kick starter lightens the bike by 2 pounds max.  Not the 10+ pounds that the GYTR site initially reported.  So you will be removing 5 ish pounds from your FX, not 15.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bass Mechanic

Posted December 06, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Replacing the battery with a Shorai removes 3.12 pounds. Just did it on my YZ250FX.

Removing the kick starter lightens the bike by 2 pounds max. Not the 10+ pounds that the GYTR site initially reported. So you will be removing 5 ish pounds from your FX, not 15.

I agree with the kick starter that sounded a little generous to me. However the battery is supposed to weigh 7 lbs and the earth x battery supposed to weigh just under 2 lbs that alone is 5 lbs

Also fwiw the Shorai battery has proven time and time again to be problematic due to the fact it does not have a battery management system built it. The cells become over charged or under charged which is death to a lithium iron battery.
Look into earth x I think they have a far superior product

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 06, 2015 - 05:38 PM

I agree with the kick starter that sounded a little generous to me. However the battery is supposed to weigh 7 lbs and the earth x battery supposed to weigh just under 2 lbs that alone is 5 lbs

Also fwiw the Shorai battery has proven time and time again to be problematic due to the fact it does not have a battery management system built it. The cells become over charged or under charged which is death to a lithium iron battery.

The WR450F and the YZ250FX have the same battery.  It weighed 5.48lbs.   The Shorai weighs 1.32 pounds.  Net loss 3.16 pounds.  The stock battery is 6AH.  The Shorai is 9AH.  Part number

LFX09L2-BS12

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, December 06, 2015 - 05:39 PM.

• stevethe

Posted December 06, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hum I run Shorai batteries in all my bikes now with no issues.

• Jimmy boy

Posted December 06, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Hum I run Shorai batteries in all my bikes now with no issues.

can I have some greenie bucks too please?

• Jeremy204

Posted December 07, 2015 - 11:32 AM

- release a YZ/WR 350 F/X ?  A bigger cylinder and crank on the YZ250FX is all it would take.  It would be an absolute killer bike.

I'd be the first in line for a YZ350fx!!! I loved the motor of my 350 xc-f, but struggled with handling and chassis issues. Having moved away from orange and onto blue...and a used yellow 2 stroke...the opportunity to mate up a 350 motor to a better handling chassis would be killer. 

• Wristrockit

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Here is the bracket behind the voltage regulator.  Its steel.

attachicon.gif20140827_221928.jpg

Hey MLCG, did you do a thread on the mods. you made to lighten your WR? If not, would you care to share either in a thread or through email? I didn't notice, what year is yours? I'm interested in lightening my WR. It's either that or I'm going orange.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hey MLCG, did you do a thread on the mods. you made to lighten your WR? If not, would you care to share either in a thread or through email? I didn't notice, what year is yours? I'm interested in lightening my WR. It's either that or I'm going orange.

There is a big thread.  Search and you shall find.  Mine is a 2012. 

• Damper

Posted January 07, 2016 - 03:14 AM

I'm on a 06, Australian rider and have always loved my yammies although when I brought my first 426 ( stepping up from a 84 xt600) I was a new rider, now I've got the wr450f and it's awesome.... Will buy a new one in a few years but will keep the 06 for a second

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.