Dented Frame

6 replies to this topic
  • Matt_W

Posted February 27, 2002 - 03:14 PM

I know better to ride when I'm tired, but I did it anyway. I was attempting a big ole hill climb in 3rd gear pinned. I was staring at a BIG rock to the right and of course in my tired state I was moving towards it like a woman to a jewelery store. I managed to get the front wheel past it, but my skid plate hammered it hard. The bike tossed sideways and spit me out. Unbelievable I rolled up the hill and walked away without a single scratch or bruise. The bike however suffered a different fate. I have the GYTR enduro skid plate the protects the stator and clutch covers and the skid plate is about an 1/8 inch thick. Well my biff put a fist sized dent in the left side. When I pulled the skid plate off I found the left frame rail just under the stator has a dent in it approximately the length and depth of my thumb above the knuckle. If it weren't for the skid plate, I would have smeared the left side of the case. The frame is not bent and no other damage was done. Do I have anything to be concerned about with a dented frame ?? Is there any way to fix this ?? I'm pretty anal about the condition of my bike and It bugs me knowing this relatively small dent exists.

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 28, 2002 - 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Matt W:
When I pulled the skid plate off I found the left frame rail just under the stator has a dent in it approximately the length and depth of my thumb above the knuckle. If it weren't for the skid plate, I would have smeared the left side of the case. The frame is not bent and no other damage was done. Do I have anything to be concerned about with a dented frame ?? Is there any way to fix this ?? I'm pretty anal about the condition of my bike and It bugs me knowing this relatively small dent exists.

I don't think its any big deal, and its not going to mess with the integrity of the frame, or any worries like that.

But I know what you mean by, you just know its there, and it will bother you just for a little while. And then you will be back at that same TCTRI hill and bust that rocks A$$. :)

I am not sure about a fix, I would just leave it. If you start messing with it, you might make things worse. Just ride it and forget about it. :D ~Hitman~

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• jbird

Posted February 28, 2002 - 05:06 AM

I bought a 99 400 used and it had a big old dent in one of the frame rails. I rode it for a season on MX with no trouble at all.
I know what you mean about being anal though. No one could see the dent but I knew it was there and didn't like it.
Jon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Dented frame tubes happen..... If you look at any bikes that have really been ridden hard, they are all bound to have dents in them. This is always something to gauge how much crap the bike has been through when looking for used bikes. The ones who have been cased numerous times have probably been raced alot. I have a couple dings in my frame rails too. Kind of like a new car/truck, after the first couple, the pain goes away.....

Tim

• Dodger

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Yo Matt;

I totally agree with the rest. Last fall I cased a landing out in Moab on the Slick Rock, no skid plate at all :D ! I basically landed on one of the ripples tall enough to allow the bike to case at full compression. I tell you what, I had a sick feeling in my stomach when I stopped, I know it wasn't going to be pretty. Sure enough, I put a full dent in one side of the frame about 4 inches long :) , "crap my new bike!!" Aside from the initial shock of seeing the dent, there's obviousely no residual ill effects of the ding. I'd put a little paint on it to inhibit rust, and forget about it :D !

My $.02

Dodger

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 28, 2002 - 07:53 AM

I bought my bike from Dustin Nelson. He just placed 3rd overall at the Fourstroke Nat. in glen helen. Wanna talk about flattend frame rails. Mine look like band iron. Kinda sick. I was so excited when I got this bike I didnt notice. I havent had a problem. Love the bike, but I understand the "buggin ya" part.

• Le_Racer

Posted February 28, 2002 - 09:44 AM

Salut!

My 99 400 was very stable on a bike stand... :D

There must be an up side to every thing! :)

Dented rims and flattened frames rails are normal occurence for me, I replace rims but I never had to replace a frame yet (I did break a swingarm on my 98 250 tough and my 2001 250F needed to be welded behind the headstock: oil leaked there.)

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Le Racer ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.