How much better will the 2016 WR be ?

Yamaha WR450F

101 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:18 AM

You will need a competition ECU a performance muffler or pipe a remap and likely open the air box if it's muffled. That stuff doesn't bother me at all. I believe the new backwards motors will rip. Hopefully it may have the power of my built WR450.

I don't need more power.  What I want to know is how much nimbler it will be.  How is it going to handle, especially in the tight stuff.

• jetrep

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I'm trying to decide if I would like a KTM 350 XCF.   I'm wondering about long term durability.  I put 75 to 100 hours on a season.  How often will I need to rebuild it ?  These Yamahas are stone reliable.

I don't know what to tell you.  Nobody can predict if you'll get a good one or a bad one.  If I was looking for ultimate durability KTM may not be my first choice but I beat on mine best I can and it has been rock solid.  I had to shim a couple valves at about 8 hours and they haven't moved since.  Friend has same bike with exact same results.  We both have2013 XCF-W 350s with ~130 hours.  He just got done doing a 40  hour high speed ride and valves didn't move.  Check out enduro360.com for a couple engine tear downs on KTMs to see the results. 

I've owned all the major brands and am not a KTM fanboy but I have enjoyed mine so far.  If Yamaha really wants to sell some bikes all they need to do is put a plate on that new 450. 

• stevethe

Posted October 15, 2015 - 09:30 AM

I don't need more power.  What I want to know is how much nimbler it will be.  How is it going to handle, especially in the tight stuff.

The 450 a good do everything bike. But if your just doing woods you may consider the YZ 250fx. I believe the KTM 350's are quite peaky in power.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 15, 2015 - 10:18 AM

The 450 a good do everything bike. But if your just doing woods you may consider the YZ 250fx.

I like 450 style power too much to let it go.  I'm thinking of running 2 bikes, a YZ250FX, hopefully with a 300/350 kit on it and a 450, of course.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 15, 2015 - 10:20 AM

I don't know what to tell you.  Nobody can predict if you'll get a good one or a bad one.  If I was looking for ultimate durability KTM may not be my first choice but I beat on mine best I can and it has been rock solid.  I had to shim a couple valves at about 8 hours and they haven't moved since.  Friend has same bike with exact same results.  We both have2013 XCF-W 350s with ~130 hours.  He just got done doing a 40  hour high speed ride and valves didn't move.  Check out enduro360.com for a couple engine tear downs on KTMs to see the results. 

I've owned all the major brands and am not a KTM fanboy but I have enjoyed mine so far.  If Yamaha really wants to sell some bikes all they need to do is put a plate on that new 450. 

I visit Chilly's site religiously. 

How often are you checking your valves ?  Changing oil ?

When I start hearing about "getting a good one", I get very nervous.  I'm not looking for a $9500 + tax lottery ticket.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 15, 2015 - 10:20 AM.

• vlxjim

Posted October 15, 2015 - 12:18 PM

Look like its going to be a good bike. A dream bike for me. But I'll wait for the 2017's This one is to new. Look how long it took to get the 2012"s running and starting good. Dam all the new parts I'll need to buy again. Good to know that my new Scotts sub mount and bark busters can move over. Looks like the power programer and the IF tool will work to. Any guess as if the FX ECU will work?

• stevethe

Posted October 15, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Look like its going to be a good bike. A dream bike for me. But I'll wait for the 2017's This one is to new. Look how long it took to get the 2012"s running and starting good. Dam all the new parts I'll need to buy again. Good to know that my new Scotts sub mount and bark busters can move over. Looks like the power programer and the IF tool will work to. Any guess as if the FX ECU will work?

Remember they have been working on the YZ450's for five years. The new WR is pretty much a YZ. The competition ECU from the 13-15 WR's appears to work. So it is just giving you a programable unit capable of the YZf maps or fx maps.

• vlxjim

Posted October 15, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Remember they have been working on the YZ450's for five years. The new WR is pretty much a YZ. The competition ECU from the 13-15 WR's appears to work. So it is just giving you a programable unit capable of the YZf maps or fx maps.

The COMP ECU is not the same as the 2012-2015. Its got its own part #. But the FX ECU may have a better bottom end setting that you can't access with the programer. The Comp ECU for the 12-15 had EPA setting in the very low end setting. As for the YZ it was all new two years ago. It may look the same but its is complete makeover. And the WR will not have the YZ cams or tuning, Caiif CARB and EPA won't let that happen. EPA kick the Yellow bike out of the USA. So Blue is not going to make that mistake.

Edited by vlxjim, October 15, 2015 - 09:40 PM.

• jetrep

Posted October 16, 2015 - 03:12 PM

I visit Chilly's site religiously. 

How often are you checking your valves ?  Changing oil ?

When I start hearing about "getting a good one", I get very nervous.  I'm not looking for a $9500 + tax lottery ticket.

I change my oil every i 8-10 hours...not sure why that matters though.  If you readn in Chilly's comments he uses Rotella 15W-40 and changes every 30 hours or so.  These bikes aren't delicate.

When I mentioned getting a good one it applies to Yamaha too.  The point is you can get unlucky with any brand.  I got quite unlucky with my Yamaha waverunner.  I've purchased several Yamaha products since.

• Chaconne

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:07 PM

I'm trying to decide if I would like a KTM 350 XCF.   I'm wondering about long term durability.  I put 75 to 100 hours on a season.  How often will I need to rebuild it ?  These Yamahas are stone reliable.

Have you ridden 350 xcf? If you haven't you should. I much prefer my 2014 WR and I think it a much better bike than the 2013 350xcf also in my garage. But it all depends on what you want to do and where you ride I suppose. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:52 PM

I owned a '13 350 xcf.

Sold it after trying for a year to get it to handle and to get the forks to work.

The bike was very reliable and never let me down in that area.

Power is very, very soft, and there is only 23 ftlbs of torque.

The power delivery is so soft, that the clutch or max rpm is required to get anything to happen.

I re-mapped it to SXF-agressive, changed the ex manifold, pipe, etc. 

Finally got it to be jusssst enough to pull 3rd gear down to low rpms and up to high rpms, on flat terrain.

Before the work I did, you had to down shift for every corner, every time.

It was just enough power, no more. But still very soft in delivery.

But the real problem was the handling. Very hard to hold a line under power or under breaking.  Just squirelly all the time.

I tried revalving the suspension 3 times, and it only would give me a few more mph of control each time, but above that speed, terrible.

I have set up 27 bikes for me, 3 of them KTM's. If you like feet-on-the-ground riding with lots of obstacles, the KTM is good for that.

If you like turning with the power on the rear wheel, or being able to transfer weight front to back by where you sit, for changes in handling, it's not good for that.

The KTM's were just no fun to ride fast, unless on a track where you had lots of line choices.....but on fast single track, it was awful. Just fine on the really tight stuff.

The SXF based bikes for 2016 handle better (I have ridden them all), and the power is more aggressive

The EXC based bikes for 2016 are unchanged.

I am currently looking at the 2016 BETA's as a possible alternative Dual sport.

• Summit

Posted October 17, 2015 - 05:45 AM

So are we talking another grand to get the new wr to run like the fx? Gonna update the old 05 some day, if I can ever put enough miles on it to justify it and was set on the fx but now thinking maybe the wr even though I don't need lights, why not? Well if it's another grand and a bunch of messing around maybe the fx is the way to go. Not interested in stock wr power.

• DangerRanger245

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:04 AM

Alot of us CA guys will go with the WR over the FX simply because of the green sticker and red sticker bullshit

• patrick2wd

Posted October 17, 2015 - 01:10 PM

I hope athena builds a get unit for it.. the french (yamaha is realllyy big in france) get the exhaust (yz header should fit id expect), Im not really fond of that curly header..
Hope the suspention is better..
15 liter tank on it..
Etc... etc..

• Chaconne

Posted October 17, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I owned a '13 350 xcf.

Sold it after trying for a year to get it to handle and to get the forks to work.

The bike was very reliable and never let me down in that area.

Power is very, very soft, and there is only 23 ftlbs of torque.

The power delivery is so soft, that the clutch or max rpm is required to get anything to happen.

I re-mapped it to SXF-agressive, changed the ex manifold, pipe, etc. 

Finally got it to be jusssst enough to pull 3rd gear down to low rpms and up to high rpms, on flat terrain.

Before the work I did, you had to down shift for every corner, every time.

It was just enough power, no more. But still very soft in delivery.

But the real problem was the handling. Very hard to hold a line under power or under breaking.  Just squirelly all the time.

I tried revalving the suspension 3 times, and it only would give me a few more mph of control each time, but above that speed, terrible.

I have set up 27 bikes for me, 3 of them KTM's. If you like feet-on-the-ground riding with lots of obstacles, the KTM is good for that.

If you like turning with the power on the rear wheel, or being able to transfer weight front to back by where you sit, for changes in handling, it's not good for that.

The KTM's were just no fun to ride fast, unless on a track where you had lots of line choices.....but on fast single track, it was awful. Just fine on the really tight stuff.

The SXF based bikes for 2016 handle better (I have ridden them all), and the power is more aggressive

The EXC based bikes for 2016 are unchanged.

I am currently looking at the 2016 BETA's as a possible alternative Dual sport.

Squirelly is right. I don't find it any better in the tight stuff either. I am sure some riders love the things about the KTM I don't --to each their own I guess. Have you ridden the BETA?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 17, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Squirelly is right. I don't find it any better in the tight stuff either. I am sure some riders love the things about the KTM I don't --to each their own I guess. Have you ridden the BETA?

Not yet

Been out of town

Last week i hit a log height water diversion ramp at full throttle and the bike kicked up and hit me in the ass and messed up my back.......tried to jump it last minute, but failed.

I compressed the crap out of my back, and it's not looking good....

• Chaconne

Posted October 17, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Not yet

Been out of town

Last week i hit a log height water diversion ramp at full throttle and the bike kicked up and hit me in the ass and messed up my back.......tried to jump it last minute, but failed.

I compressed the crap out of my back, and it's not looking good....

Arggh oh man. Take care of that, back problems are the worst. 

• simch

Posted October 18, 2015 - 12:43 AM

Anyone know if the plastics and seat are the same shape and fit as the YZ 450 f? I do enduro with a current 450x Honda, but was about to buy an anniversary yz450f, merely because I've always wanted a hurricane colour scheme yam! It may be overkill and I'd miss the magic button, but I've just got to get a yellow yam one day!
Still got my steel framed wr450, it's still rides nice.

And the 450x is a cracking bike, albeit a little heavy in the tight woods.

I'm also considering the new yx450fx, but again, I'd need the yellow plastics and seat etc from the anniversary, because I'm a blouse!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 18, 2015 - 07:41 AM

Anyone know if the plastics and seat are the same shape and fit as the YZ 450 f? I do enduro with a current 450x Honda, but was about to buy an anniversary yz450f, merely because I've always wanted a hurricane colour scheme yam! It may be overkill and I'd miss the magic button, but I've just got to get a yellow yam one day!
Still got my steel framed wr450, it's still rides nice.

And the 450x is a cracking bike, albeit a little heavy in the tight woods.

I'm also considering the new yx450fx, but again, I'd need the yellow plastics and seat etc from the anniversary, because I'm a blouse!

I would be very surprised if it wasn't a direct fit.  Afterall, don't all 3 450's and all 3 250's use the same frame now?  If you are also wanting the stock WR lights, I would think that the cost of the yellow plastics might be about the same or close to the cost of acquiring those lights for the YZ if you wanted the stock look. 

• patrick2wd

Posted October 20, 2015 - 08:23 AM

good news from Italy,

Athena-GET, is going to build an ignition system for the WR!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.