Can't get cam chain on cam gears, slack

8 replies to this topic
  • ttreewalkerr

Posted October 10, 2015 - 07:24 AM

Put top end on my wr426, everything seems good at crank gear, I rotated engine and chain moved free so not bound down there. I can put 1 cam gear on the teeth but not enough slack to put on other gear.. Cam tensioner is out. Tried being in center and rotating on chain till they go in their seat at same time?..
Can that plastic guide on rear side get out of place and take up slack,, it pivots fine like nothing g wrong.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted October 10, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Seems like the plastic chain guide on the adjuster side still puts some dog leg in chain even with adjuster out. Is this normal ? YouTube videos show the guy having plenty of slack with adjuster out.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted October 10, 2015 - 08:08 AM

I got it on, but tight enough with no cam tensioner that I question it. Cams are about 1mm off fron seating in the machined land opposite of gear. I can easily push them to seat, just seems tight. This is same chain I had, not new.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted October 10, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Fixed, chain was bound. Got it on and turned a few times and pop, slack.. loosed and re timed, all set.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snowynonuts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Hey man. What was the chain bound on? Having the exact same problem and it's just pissing me off now

• ttreewalkerr

Posted February 26, 2016 - 07:54 AM

It ended up being chain double looped by a like down deep behind that little gear on crank. I scarry stretched it on, then bolted and then slowly pressed kick lever and ,, powwww, loosened. It was kinked under down deep behind the gear where I could not see.

• Snowynonuts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Yeah cool. But you could still crank it round right? I'll have to pull the stator cover off I think

• ttreewalkerr

Posted February 26, 2016 - 05:29 PM

What, stator,, nothing to do with it.
The chain is folded where you can't see.

• Snowynonuts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:07 AM

Ok fixed, the front slider somehow got forced down between the cam chain gear and the crankcase on the inside, behind the stator. Had to take the head off and move the slide. Lol what a pain in the arse!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.