CHAIN RUINS SWINGARM

12 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:02 PM

I JUST NOTICED THAT EVEN WITH A NEW CHAIN GUIDE (I GUESS THATS THE NAME OF IT - I MEAN THE BLACK RUBBER ON THE SWINGARM) THE SWINGARM IS GETTING RUIN, CHECK YOUR SWINGARM UNDER THE RUBBER AND U WILL B SURPRISED...
WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT IT?

• Scarylong

Posted February 27, 2002 - 11:13 AM

I have seen posts on this in the past. I think I even saw a photo of a mod. The mod looked easy. Just some foam under the guide. You might find it with a search.

It might have been on one of the magazine sites.

I know this is not a bunch of help. But at least you know you are not alone now.

C ya.

• motoman393

Posted February 27, 2002 - 12:09 PM

http://mx393.tripod.com/swingarm.html

I since then have replaced the foam with a old inner tube piece that has 2 circles cut out where the 2 bolts thread into (so that it cant come off or fall out like the foam method did) Later,

Garrett

• Scarylong

Posted February 27, 2002 - 02:14 PM

Garret:
So you don't need foam? Innertube is thick enough? Could I get away without the innertube? I am confused, again.

I have some great foams and rubber gaskets at work. If you could choose a type what would it be. How think, durometer (spongy or not), compound (Rubber tube/silicone foam) that sort of thing.

Later. :)

• John_H

Posted February 27, 2002 - 02:48 PM

I fixed mine just after motoman posted about this problem a while back. I cut a piece of inner tube and glued it to the swingarm. Then bolted the chain guide back on. Works fine. Chain guide stays put, and got rid of the annoying chain slap.

• Chris_Slade

Posted February 27, 2002 - 02:48 PM

Or, you could spend a few dollars, and buy a hard rubber slider from I believe 'TM Designs'. Ask a dealer about it. My dad found the same thing on his bike, wore right through the swingarm sldier, and there is a weld right where the slider is, causing a high point which the chain rubs through rather quickly (seems like a design flaw to me).
It makes alot more noise, but it wears much better than anything so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted February 27, 2002 - 02:50 PM

I just ordered a TM design works slider, I'll let ya know how it goes. It looks like I'll have to pull the swing arm to mount it because it has a brace that runs inbetween the sliding portions, on the outside of the arm. You can see it at tmdesignworks.com. Ive got the chain guide, the whole thing is milled out of teflon. Coincidently I needed the guide, big rock meet chain guide, they didnt get along.

• Chris_Slade

Posted February 27, 2002 - 06:06 PM

Yes, you do need to remove the swingarm. It's not a big deal, and for how long it lasts...it's worth it! :)

• Wyatt

Posted February 27, 2002 - 06:47 PM

I lifted the slider and cleaned the area. I then applied a thick bead of clear silicone to the swingarm. I also placed rubber o rings around the washers that are on the bolts that hold the slider down. This seems to work very well and has done so for seceral months now.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 01, 2002 - 02:36 PM

I took an old FLY thick tube and traced out my slider with at marker onto it and cut it out with scissors.(scissors work great!)
I then JB welded it to the slider and it has held great! :)

• h_bomb

Posted March 01, 2002 - 02:43 PM

My blk foam works perfect I took the foam from one of my mothers paint brushes just cut it to fit and superglue to top of slider inbetween swing arm and guide.

• PK

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:36 PM

The TM design slider I have seems bulletproof. Pulling the swingarm is a small price to pay for not having to replace a chain guide. I have had mine on for almost 2 years and still going strong. It is louder than the stock guide though. Ahh well, it works...

PK

• SealClubber

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:58 PM

1/4" weatherstripping worked well for me. It is pretty dense foam and it has pretty good adhesion. No problems yet. I just put a small washer between the bolt and big washer instead of banging it out of shape. Thanks motoman for the $1 peace of mind. :)

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.