Ferry's 426

16 replies to this topic
  • Odie

Posted February 27, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I just got my MXA in the mail last night. This month they profile Ferry's 426, Kyle Lewis' CR450 and Chad Reed's 250F. Man, these are gorgeous bikes. But what blows me away is that Ferry's bike weights in at 226lbs. That right - 226lbs. That 1lb. lighter than a stock 250f. And it's a 3 speed - they use the same tranny ratio indoors and outdoors. Did anyone else see this issue.

A few years ago, I use to dream of riding Scott Russels' R1 or Fogarty's Ducati 996. Now I find myself drooling over Ferry'426. Weird how my tastes have shifted.

Later,
Odie

• Phillip_Hutchinson

Posted February 27, 2002 - 11:44 AM

Its really a 4 speed.

• bretman

Posted February 27, 2002 - 05:09 PM

Sure did read it today and yes i agree those bikes make my mouth water.Ferry's bike is one of those bikes we can only dream about .I do know that dr.d is trying to help with some of those mods. I see he came out with a wet sump system.Kinda cool that someone is bring these mods to the general public.

• RacerX

Posted February 27, 2002 - 06:43 PM

Speaking of TF, anyone know when he will be back on the blue beast. First TF, now The Rock - having a tough time rooting for the rest of the field...

• DPW

Posted February 28, 2002 - 12:54 AM

I heard Ferry should be back for Daytona

• Odie

Posted February 28, 2002 - 03:45 AM

Phillip,

No - it's actually a 5 speed with 4th and 5th blocked off. That leaves him with a 3 speed.

Later,
Odie

• jamracing

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:29 AM

Timmy Ferry's site has pictures of his bike.

• MXDKP

Posted February 28, 2002 - 10:40 PM

Anyone,

I'm not "tranny savy" so how is it that Brian Kinney (Ferry's mechanic) can transform a 5 speed to a 3 speed by blocking out 4th & 5th gears ?? What is it, he does, that allows this to happen? Another thing, I've heard before, is that these Supercross (and now Motocross, supposedly) bikes have only 3 gears available for the riders, and only 3....why's is that ? Are the "mechanics/teams/riders" afraid that they might accidentally "mis-shift" into a higher gear, by acccident, especially thru the whoops or other obstacles?? Just curious why the top riders in the world have only 3 gears on their bikes, that's all.

Help me out, Brothers-on-2Wheelers,
Mr. Inquisitive

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 28, 2002 - 10:59 PM

If BK told you how he did it, he would have to kill you.........just kidding. I assume 3 gears on a 4 stroke are all that are needed for Supercross due to the tight track syndrome. I believe that they use 4 or 5 speeds for Nationals.

• Shane

Posted February 28, 2002 - 11:03 AM

Not to dissagree with you odie, but are you sure that they blocked of 4th and 5th? Why would they do that? It would be lighter to just have a 3 speed bike.

• bassr_#186

Posted February 28, 2002 - 11:31 AM

If I read the article correctly, AMA rules require the gears to be there, but the rules don't say you have to use them.

• vznx1w

Posted February 28, 2002 - 12:02 PM

The AMA rules do require that all 5-speeds are retained in the tranny--to reflect the configuration of the stock bike. The loop-hole is that the rule book does not specify what material the gears must be made of. Therefore, if the factory teams don't need the wide speed range provided by the 5-speed box they may substitute plastic gear sets for the unneeded upper gears, thereby saving weight. However, the shift drum must then be blocked to make sure that the rider never actually selects the plastic gears, as the weak plastic would fail instantly.

• DaveJ

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:31 PM

I put my bike through a diet last month and hit the scales at 239+, wet, (I played the strip game, and have a carbon airbox and fork guards and some ti bolts). Feels better, but....

I'm thinking the wet sump thing and perhaps a ti spring (if the 03 will take it) for another 7lbs or so. That's 232.

Perhaps mag hubs, ti sub-frame, axles and link bolts, and no 4th or 5th is the go to for 226, (I won't go this far). What else??!!

Sure seems low.

BTW - losing weight feels good, but I don't think it has really done much to make me any faster. I just like the design challenge of getting there.

DaveJ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 01, 2002 - 09:45 AM

DaveJ are you independently wealthy?

• DaveJ

Posted March 01, 2002 - 10:25 PM

Whoops...sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was going to do all that stuff.

I thought my 239 gave me some bragging rights.

I'm now both humbled and curious about 226.

How did they do that and still remain within regulation?

DaveJ

• Snowman

Posted March 03, 2002 - 06:48 AM

Originally posted by MXDKP:They run 2 plastic gears and block them out in ferry's bike AMA rules don't allow removal of gears but you can supplement plastic ones for weight reduction kind of a loop hole you can say.
Anyone,

I'm not "tranny savy" so how is it that Brian Kinney (Ferry's mechanic) can transform a 5 speed to a 3 speed by blocking out 4th & 5th gears ?? What is it, he does, that allows this to happen? Another thing, I've heard before, is that these Supercross (and now Motocross, supposedly) bikes have only 3 gears available for the riders, and only 3....why's is that ? Are the "mechanics/teams/riders" afraid that they might accidentally "mis-shift" into a higher gear, by acccident, especially thru the whoops or other obstacles?? Just curious why the top riders in the world have only 3 gears on their bikes, that's all.

Mr. Inquisitive

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: Snowman ]

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: Snowman ]

• Snowman

Posted March 03, 2002 - 06:49 AM

Originally posted by MXDKP:
Anyone,

Mr. Inquisitive

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.