Clutch cable woes

8 replies to this topic
  • Danielt28

Posted October 07, 2015 - 10:28 AM

I just bought my 2003 WR 450 about a month ago. And I've already went through 2 clutch cables. (Broken right at the handle)

** I was wondering if anybody had a picture of how the cable is supposed to be routed? **

I have a feeling that the previous owner routed the other one wrong that he put on and that I routed mine wrong following them so they both ended up breaking?

Also the cable keeps getting melted on the exhaust. So I'm thinking that it's not routed right. Thanks a lot!

• mnicholson2003

Posted October 07, 2015 - 11:30 AM

I just replaced the cable on my 04...the same thing happened to broke right at the handle.  I am no expert repair guy but I did replace it myself...there is a clip on the frame on the right side that the cable should clip to so it doesn't get to the should route right up through, under the tank and then up through the rest of the way. Not sure if this helps or not.  I lubed the hell out of my new cable as well...

Edited by mnicholson2003, October 07, 2015 - 11:33 AM.

• Danielt28

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:51 PM

I will take a closer look when I get home.,

What did you lube your cable with?

This time I ordered 2 cables cause the local Yamaha dealer doesn't stock them anymore. Lol
But they are replacing the one on warranty because it was only on for a week

• mnicholson2003

Posted October 08, 2015 - 03:46 AM

I bought one of those Motion pro cable lubers and a can of their cable lube....took me a few minutes to get the hang of the darn thing...I had more lube on me at first. haha.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dg400sm

Posted October 11, 2015 - 01:43 AM

remember the old myth and make sure you don't use wd40 as a lubricant. wd40 is a solvent so fine to use it to clean the cables. give it a couple of days to evaporate then flood the cable with any kind of oil. i've found normal engine oil works fine and injected with a syringe. what height handlebars do you have? my drz was running super tall handlebars when i bought it and this was causing  the acute  on the cable. replaced the cable and used lower handlebars. 12,00klms on and still going strong

Posted November 10, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Which clutch cable is the best? I dont want to do this twice a week :)

Ive read some good things about Motion Pro's cables, they have a few different grades - what is everyone running?

• mnicholson2003

Posted November 11, 2015 - 04:43 AM

I Went with the basic motion pro black vinyl....lubed the heck out of it.... No issues so far

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2015 - 05:54 AM

Motion pro

Order the longer version so you can route it as you please.

Posted December 07, 2015 - 06:50 PM

Motion pro

Order the longer version so you can route it as you please.

What is the best route for the cable? The stock route puts in right against the exhaust or the cylinder as it goes to the clutch actuating arm. 

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.