Rod bearing play DRZ 400 SM 2008

Looked?

Or measured?

What was the measured deflection at the small end?

What was the measures side play?

What was the measures small end ID?

He took a good handgrip on the rod and tried to lift it up and down, and it did not move at all. There's no magnetic debris in the oil. The engine was running when i started to take it apart, so the piston was sliding smoothly in the cylinder.

He took a good handgrip on the rod and tried to lift it up and down, and it did not move at all. There's no magnetic debris in the oil. The engine was running when i started to take it apart, so the piston was sliding smoothly in the cylinder.

Ahh, ok,, well best of luck on your build... As it does appear to be based on luck and guesses. I hope it goes as planned for you ,really do, would never wish for a rider to waste money on work being done. 

However, Id be embarrassed to tell a customer I checked out his motor and confirmed it good after just a  "good handgrip" inspection.

The tools needed to do this basic inspection are, well basic and common to any mechanic worthy of taking money for work. If the chosen mechanic is guessing at this, what else is he guessing or winging it on? 

The guy did it for free. I'm working shift,one week work,one at home. Going to check with a feeler gauge when i get of work next Thursday. Thanks for the advice. I actually read a good portion of the owners manual for the bike, so not so much luck and guess. As i live in Norway, with pretty high priced mechanics, i am forced to do most of the work myself. Went to a motorcycle garage and asked how much they would take for looking at the bike. Changing the piston and cylinder costs 1300,- usd for parts and about 1400,- usd in worktime(7hours).. Taking the whole engine apart, i didn't even dare to ask..

The guy did it for free. I'm working shift,one week work,one at home. Going to check with a feeler gauge when i get of work next Thursday. Thanks for the advice. I actually read a good portion of the owners manual for the bike, so not so much luck and guess. As i live in Norway, with pretty high priced mechanics, i am forced to do most of the work myself. Went to a motorcycle garage and asked how much they would take for looking at the bike. Changing the piston and cylinder costs 1300,- usd for parts and about 1400,- usd in worktime(7hours).. Taking the whole engine apart, i didn't even dare to ask..

Well good on you for looking to check it out your self.... Feeler gauge will check side play. Dial indicator and adjustable holder will check deflection. Outside mike and telescoping gauge or inside mike can check small end ID. Not sure about your home area, but decent deals on good used machinist tools can be had here if you look. And light duty, but very accurate import measurement tools can be had as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...