Broken valve. Any ideas on causation?

5 replies to this topic
  • desertwheelspin

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:25 PM

This is on a yz450f.  Everything was running strong until it happened coming off a jump.    Any thoughts on what may have caused this?  From what I've heard it's quite rare.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0922.JPG
  • IMG_0924.JPG

• SDet

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Could you take a picture of the valve stem? Straight on with the break. 

• uuhhhh

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:32 PM

What year?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desertwheelspin

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Sorry can't show a photo of the stem, the components are currently at the metal shop.

Also, meant to include the year.... it's an 08.

• SDet

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Then I'll go back to assuming fatigue failure. The small loads caused by closing the valve add up, and eventually it fails. If there was too large of a gap between the rocker and valve when the valve was closed, the spring is adding extra pressure, and the valve can slam shut, causing shorter life. If the inside of the break looks similar to sand paper or rough rock, then it was a fatigue failure. 

• uuhhhh

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:18 PM

I'll say its from wear. Valves, guides, and seats often don't wear perfectly round, causing uneven pressure on the seat and torque on the stem at the point where yours is broken. May not seem like much, but cycle it a few million times and you can go past the endurance limit. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.