New WR450 or YZ450FX?

Yamaha WR450F Yamaha YZ450F

102 replies to this topic
  • Fryboy

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:10 PM

I am dying to buy a new bike. I have to say this press release has made my under carrage get all perked up. Say... tomorrow you were going to decide what you were going to do.... well?  what wouldya do?   

Why wouldya do it?  What's the diff between the 2 ?  headlight and tail light?  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Read the articles

The WR is fully green sticker legal, the FX is not

The WR is softer, slower, and plugged up, the FX is not.

• Fryboy

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Read the articles

The WR is fully green sticker legal, the FX is not

The WR is softer, slower, and plugged up, the FX is not.

Holy shit dude, I just read your record, you are a dick and a scholar :prof: :p

Why don't you practice being anything other than a dick?  You could of just answered (like you did) without being a DICK !!!  ;)

Like you have anything better to talk about ;)

P.S.  Thank you "Richard"  or Dick  :lol:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:55 PM

..wow, and I'm the dick, huh.

I did not mention you, call you names, or get upset........

I don't think I could have been any more neutral......

...you seem to have JUST the temprament for being a moderator !

Edited by KRANNIE, October 06, 2015 - 04:57 PM.

• Fryboy

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:58 PM

..wow, and I'm the dick, huh.

I did not mention you, call you names, or get upset........

I don't think I could have been any more neutral......

"Read the articles"

I'm sorry, you are right,  you were "totally" innocent.  I was kidding and winked at you numerous times.  i'd hope you wouldn't have taken it so seriously.  My apologies  :cheers: 

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:00 PM

Depends on what you want to do with the bike and how it's going to be ridin. You asked a "duh" question so I gave you a duh answer lol.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:01 PM

"Read the articles"

I'm sorry, you are right,  you were "totally" innocent.  I was kidding and winked at you numerous times.  i'd hope you wouldn't have taken it so seriously.  My apologies  :cheers:

I don't notice the emoticons.

Back to motorcycles.

• Fryboy

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:04 PM

Depends on what you want to do with the bike and how it's going to be ridin. You asked a "duh" question so I gave you a duh answer lol.

Well that's why we have this "duh" forum to talk about stuff that could shed some light on the issue.  Sounds like you are in the "know" care to help explain the differences or do you really have "nothing" to say on the matter?  ;)  

Thanks for participating either way  :cheers: 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:05 PM

The two new bikes have the motocrosser’s engine, but each off-road model gets its own unique tune, presumably with the FX being more aggressive than the WR. The FX engine is tunable with the GYTR Power Tuner, but the WR engine is not in stock form.

The off-road models each get a wide ratio transmission (a 5-speed, just like the MXer) and a different clutch (compared to the MX bike) with different fiber material, a judder spring, lighter clutch springs, and a different clutch actuator arm with a different cam on it. (Presumably all the mods are for a lighter clutch with a less-abrupt engagement, but Yamaha would not confirm this). The WR also gets an o-ring chain.

Both bikes also get revised engine mounts, as well as a ‘large capacity generator.’ They both swap their 19” rear wheel for an 18” rear, and in 2016 each of the 450 Yamahas comes with different tires. While the MXer comes with Dunlop MX52 tires, the WR comes with MX51s, and the FX gets Dunlop AT81s.

Only the WR is CARB/EPA legal, so it gets a green sticker in California. While the closed-course only FX keeps the YZF’s same exhaust, the WR gets something very different; the WR’s muffler/spark arrestor is a mechanical design (baffles rather than packing material). Along with this muffler/spark arrestor, only the WR gets a throttle stop and a resonator in the airbox. Other mods that the WR only gets are a headlight and taillight, an enduro computer, and a radiator fan.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:07 PM

Anxious to capitalize on the success of its recently revamped 250F off-road bikes, Yamaha retools the WR450F ($8990) and expands its dirt line-up with the addition of a ‘X’ competition-spec 450F ($8890) for 2016. Both motorcycles are expected to land on U.S. dealership floors in November.

Queued off of Yamaha’s MXGP championship-winning YZ450F, both machines source a identical version of the Tuning Fork brand’s water-cooled 449cc DOHC Single as used in the motocross bike. Inside the cases, wider transmission ratios were fitted as was a heavy-duty clutch pack. A larger AC generator was also installed to accommodate the head, and taillight (WR), as well as electric start.

Chassis-wise, both models borrow the YZ’s bilateral beam frame configuration and fabulous coil spring KYB Speed-Sensitive Suspension. however each model gets custom tuning designed for the rigors of trail/enduro riding (WR) and cross-country, GNCC-style racing (FX). A smaller 18-inch back wheel replaces the motocross bike’s 19-inch rim, and the FX gets a Dunlop AT81 rear knob while the WR sources a Dunlop Geomax MX51 tire. Lastly, each offers the convenience of a aluminum kick stand.

The 2016 Yamaha WR450F also adds a enduro computer, radiator fan and a spark arrestor-equipped muffler. Since the 2016 Yamaha YZ450FX is designed with racing in mind, it shares the same free-flowing exhaust system as the YZ-F moto bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:11 PM

The WR has the same engine layout as the YZ450F, including the reverse cylinder head layout and the Keihin fuel injection. The WR has suspension, gear ratios and power delivery designed for trail use, as well as a headlight, a radiator fan, an 18-inch rear wheel, a kickstand and it meets the emission requirements put forth by EPA and CARB. The biggest news is the electric starter, which sits in front of the motor. The WR is a trail bike with a very quiet exhaust note. The YZ450FX, on the other hand, is an off-road race bike. It was designed with cross-country racing in mind, although it is imported under the rules that state it’s for closed-course competition. The FX doesn’t meet emission regulations, is not green-sticker legal and is in full-race tune. The suspension is stiffer than that of the WR, but it’s still set up for off-road use, not motocross. This model doesn’t get the headlight or the radiator fan, but it does have the electric starter. As it turns out, this is the same basic motor that Roman Febvre used to win the 2015 World Motocross Championship.His motor might have looked somehat different, but the changes were only superficial outer engine cases that were fabricated by the Italian race team. Unlike Febvre’s bike, the WR and the FX have a kickstart lever for back up.

• GreenHornet450

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:14 PM

WR them switch the ecu out to a YZ. Green Sticker would be more important I would think since they are so similar

Edited by GreenHornet450, October 06, 2015 - 05:15 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Green sticker... What a load of crock. It's a non issue for 49 of the 50 states yet is made out to be such a big deal in all of the magazines.

That being said, I really hope Yamaha makes. YZ350FX in the near future. I would like to buy one for my next bike in 2020.

Edited by woods-rider, October 06, 2015 - 05:57 PM.

• stevethe

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Well as I see it it's possible the WR could have a heavier flywheel and the fuel injection could be a smaller bore. The softer suspension might be good for me or other lighter riders. Since I use every once of hp the bike has I'm hoping the fuel injection is the same size as the YZ or a aftermarket will fit. Certainly the WR will need to be derestricted and a competition ECU added.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:45 PM

In the 250 line, the FX and WR share the same throttle body, but not the head, piston, cams, ECU, flywheel weight, exhaust, etc.

I would expect the 450 to be similar.

DirtBikeMag says thay have gotten the WR250 to be faster than the 250FX, but only with a pile of motor work money.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 06, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Bottom line is you can make a WR run like an FX, but the FX will never be green sticker for us in Ca.  The WR's have more than enough power once all the ECU, throttle stop, snorkle, and exhaust mods are taken care of so there really should be no issue.

The whole red/green sticker issue is complete b.s. as is the smog crap on motorcycles.  I really need someone from the EPA to sit down with me and explain how it is that a little device that pumps more fresh air into my exhaust port is able to magically make my engine run cleaner as opposed to just diluting what's coming out the tail pipe. .  And more so, how is it if it did anything in the first place, do we really believe that California alone is going to save the world, much less the rest of the U.S. which doesn't take these measures?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 10:04 PM

The WR's have more than enough power FOR ME  once all the ECU, throttle stop, snorkle, and exhaust mods are taken care of so there really should be no issue.

....but not even close for me.. I get passed on the uphills and have trouble pulling the next gear on  hills sometimes unless the motor is massaged quite a bit. 

The whole red/green sticker issue is complete b.s. as is the smog crap on motorcycles.  I really need someone from the EPA to sit down with me and explain how it is that a little device that pumps more fresh air into my exhaust port is able to magically make my engine run cleaner as opposed to just diluting what's coming out the tail pipe. .  And more so, how is it if it did anything in the first place, do we really believe that California alone is going to save the world, much less the rest of the U.S. which doesn't take these measures?

Get mad if you want, but it won't change the way things are.

Pumping air into the exahaust actually does burn the unburnt fuel...hence all the popping. 

But that's not the point....and every state in the union has follwed the CA EPA restrictions (though 7 years behind) accept RI. 

I modify all my green sticker bikes to be red sticker level and way beyond, so I don't care.

• BazookaJoe

Posted October 07, 2015 - 03:23 AM

In the 250 line, the FX and WR share the same throttle body, but not the head, piston, cams, ECU, flywheel weight, exhaust, etc.

DirtBikeMag says thay have gotten the WR250 to be faster than the 250FX, but only with a pile of motor work money.

Not true at all, check the part numbers.   The piston, head, cams, crankshaft, and flywheel are the same on the 2015 WR250F and YZ250FX.  In fact, the piston and head are the same between a YZF, WRF, & YZ250FX.  The WR250FX and YZFX share the same transmission too.

My '15 WR250F with the comp kit, remapping, and a Q4 muffler, is faster than a stock YZ250FX.  Not really a pile of work IMO, and not a surprise considering two bikes are mechanically the same engine.  

Most of the magazines are knee jerk experts, and probably read the "YZ" on the YZ250FX's decals and then automatically assumed it is a YZF with changes with minimal relationship to a WR250F.  The real story, is that a FX is basically a WR without lights, but with stiffer suspension and some detail changes.

Edited by BazookaJoe, October 07, 2015 - 03:25 AM.

• ckny

Posted October 07, 2015 - 03:40 AM

You're wrong KRANNIE.

• stevethe

Posted October 07, 2015 - 04:52 AM

Not true at all, check the part numbers.   The piston, head, cams, crankshaft, and flywheel are the same on the 2015 WR250F and YZ250FX.  In fact, the piston and head are the same between a YZF, WRF, & YZ250FX.  The WR250FX and YZFX share the same transmission too.

My '15 WR250F with the comp kit, remapping, and a Q4 muffler, is faster than a stock YZ250FX.  Not really a pile of work IMO, and not a surprise considering two bikes are mechanically the same engine.  

Most of the magazines are knee jerk experts, and probably read the "YZ" on the YZ250FX's decals and then automatically assumed it is a YZF with changes with minimal relationship to a WR250F.  The real story, is that a FX is basically a WR without lights, but with stiffer suspension and some detail changes.

Nice nice nice so maybe the big difference is needing the comp. ECU, throttle stop, muffler and suspension. On the older F.I. WR450 the fuel injection throttle body was 2mm smaller than the YZ. However that was the old five valve motor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  93 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.