Is it worth rebuilding?

6 replies to this topic
  • johnnyk1990

Posted October 06, 2015 - 12:01 PM

I just purchased a 2001 YZ426F for $300 it is in good shape over all and has a new clutch and performance exhaust with newer tires but needs a new piston and crankshaft rebuild. I have all the tools I need to split the case and will be doing all the labor minus the crankshaft rebuild myself. My question is would I be better off to rebuild it over the winter or strip it and sell it for parts?

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted October 06, 2015 - 12:05 PM

I think the 426 is a cool bike, for the little you have in it I would rebuild it if the rest of the bike is in good shape.

• ldon400

Posted October 06, 2015 - 12:48 PM

With only 300 in it and it needing only a piston and crank, I would say to rebuild it. This is one of those rare occurrences where you can get your money back if you choose to sell the bike later. In my book that is considered a "win."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 01:07 PM

I'd rebuild it if the head's in good shape. :thumbsup:

• ramcharger

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:49 PM

I just purchased a 2001 YZ426F for $300 it is in good shape over all and has a new clutch and performance exhaust with newer tires but needs a new piston and crankshaft rebuild. I have all the tools I need to split the case and will be doing all the labor minus the crankshaft rebuild myself. My question is would I be better off to rebuild it over the winter or strip it and sell it for parts?

Are you sure thats all you need to do? Im just asking bc i also did the same thing as you and bought my buddies blown up yz400f and a lot more was wrong than i thought

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:20 PM

That's the risk you run.  Either way, his initial investment is pretty low, and it would, IMO, be fun to do a full restoration on a YZ426. 

• johnnyk1990

Posted October 07, 2015 - 04:50 AM

The bike is in great shape over all, the guy had the suspension redone recently it has newer tires and new plastics all around. I pulled the motor apart last night; the cylinder, cylinder head and piston are in great shape, the only thing it needs is a crank rebuild it still turns freely but you can feel the bearings binding up a bit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.