2016 yz450fx just released

Yamaha YZ450F

107 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 28, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I'm not worried about the weight, just excited about that super planted platform. I think it's great it's more YZish, if you want a huge tank and a 6th gear then you should be looking at a WR.
What HP numbers is the YZF putting out? I guess it's safe to say that the FX will be down 2 or 3.
I can't find any ride reports...no one in the industry has ridden one?

The FX is a WR with all the EPA restrictions removed, lighting removed,  and more agressive ECU and suspension tuning.

A YZ has a slightly different frame (flex characteristics, not geometry),  thicker motor mounts, crank, ex  cam, ecu, ignition rotor, stator, and wiring harness, hubs, rims, exhaust tune, etc.

The FX is not like a KTM SXF > XCF.

The FX is not a Wide ratio YZ.

It's a stripped down WR with more agressive tuning.

...and the WR is 5 speed.

I still think it's the way to go, but it is not green sticker.

Edited by KRANNIE, October 28, 2015 - 08:04 PM.

• Baldwin

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:31 AM

A Yamaha kick stand assembly weighs almost 2 pounds.   ANd the XC doesn't come with a skidplate.   That is about another 1.5 pounds.  6 - 2 - 1.5 = 2.5 pounds left.

Not sure if the KTM XC has them, but I believe the WP Air forks a worth a couple pound as well.

And I think the KTM XC has no linkage for the rear shock, which might save a bit of weight.

Edited by Baldwin, October 29, 2015 - 05:38 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:09 AM

Not sure if the KTM XC has them, but I believe the WP Air forks a worth a couple pound as well.

And I think the KTM XC has no linkage for the rear shock, which might save a bit of weight.

The WP forks are very very light.....and they flex like a mofo.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:24 AM

You can say that, but it isn't factual.  Just one way of perceiving it, the one you chose.  It's actually more accurate to refer to it as a YZ with cross-country/off-road modifications, but that would also be just a way of looking at it.  It, and the YZ  are purpose-built race bikes, the WR isn't.  

The bike was built to be what it is. 

For your information regarding the frame and the exhaust, your source? 

• mike_dean

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I only see one problem!
262 lb ???
That's up there
But I'm sure you could drop a lot of wt by changing to an Mx type tires, kick the kick stand, & skid plate, put an after market pipe, lighter battery !
Etc........
But how much does that add to the price of the bike,, is it worth it?? For some it will be ! for some it won't!

My '09 XCW450 on my scale is 268# dry, I added a cooling fan and Rekluse, and a rear lift handle. The KTM XC has changed little since then, the advertised weight went down only slightly by '15. Don't believe Ktm advertised weights.

• SurvivorMan

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:13 AM

The FX is a WR with all the EPA restrictions removed, lighting removed,  and more agressive ECU and suspension tuning.

A YZ has a slightly different frame (flex characteristics, not geometry),  thicker motor mounts, crank, ex  cam, ecu, ignition rotor, stator, and wiring harness, hubs, rims, exhaust tune, etc.

The FX is not like a KTM SXF > XCF.

...and the WR is 5 speed.

I still think it's the way to go, but it is not green sticker.

The Yamaha Motor release labels the FX as a YZ with a wide ratio transmission and an 18" rear(there's a few other changes in there to)....very much like an XC compared to a SX.

Having said that, the WR is also YZ based as it is greatly changed too.

Either way, there is not much info released yet.

• Truck216

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:41 AM

I would think the fact that Yamaha labeled it as a YZ would make it a YZ....

• jrusher

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Be nice to see some hp numbers Im thinking of using one for a snow bike and need all the hp a guy can get.. If it puts  out the same #s  or close as the 450f version it should work well 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 31, 2015 - 08:40 PM

The Yamaha Motor release labels the FX as a YZ with a wide ratio transmission and an 18" rear(there's a few other changes in there to)....very much like an XC compared to a SX.

Having said that, the WR is also YZ based as it is greatly changed too.

Either way, there is not much info released yet.

If you look up the actual part numbers on the parts fiche, you can see all the information you want.

Another poster pointed out my mistake of making the same assumption you are making.....that the FX is a Wide ratio YZ.

It kind of is, but not literally.

The YZ frame, ex cam, ignition, exhaust, ECU, harness, front forks, transmission, clutch, clutch basket,  and several other components are unique to the YZ.

The FX shares the WR components, with more agressive suspension and mapping tunings.

Very much NOT like comparing a XCF to a SXF, which are the exact same bike accept for the rear wheel, the tank, and the mapping.

More like comparing a EXC to a XCW.....same bike, but one has the 'junk' removed.

If you read the press releases, the information is subtly revealed:  " The WR shares the same basic YZ frame components..." ....meaning who knows what.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 31, 2015 - 08:43 PM

You can say that, but it isn't factual.  Just one way of perceiving it, the one you chose.  It's actually more accurate to refer to it as a YZ with cross-country/off-road modifications, but that would also be just a way of looking at it.  It, and the YZ  are purpose-built race bikes, the WR isn't.  

The bike was built to be what it is. 

For your information regarding the frame and the exhaust, your source? 

Another poster pointed out my erronous assumption that the  FX is essentially a Wide ratio YZ, then pointed out that the part numbers of the suspension, frame, exahust and about a dozen or so other components are common to the WR, not the YZ. 

I checked a few, like the ex cam (WR = FX) and the clutch (YZ = YZ only), and went with his word on the rest.

Easy enough to find out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2015 - 06:51 AM

And at least a dozen components are common to the YZ450F, and another bunch common to the YZ250.  Means nothing. 

I would think the fact that Yamaha labeled it as a YZ would make it a YZ....

And there you are. 

• stevethe

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:47 AM

I'm wondering if the new WR, FX and YZ will or can share the same performance.
They have a competition ECU for the WR can it be fully tuned the same as a YZ or FX?
Is the YZ or FX ECU the same just initially tuned different. Can the ECU be wired into the WR from the YZ, FX.
Possibly the Athena GET ECU might still be a better option as someone mentioned in another thread for the WR. That's if they end up making it.
I believe the fuel injection would be the same for performance and cams are easily changeable from one bike to the next.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:59 AM

I'm wondering if the new WR, FX and YZ will or can share the same performance.
They have a competition ECU for the WR can it be fully tuned the same as a YZ or FX?
Is the YZ or FX ECU the same just initially tuned different. Can the ECU be wired into the WR from the YZ, FX.
Possibly the Athena GET ECU might still be a better option as someone mentioned in another thread for the WR. That's if they end up making it.
I believe the fuel injection would be the same for performance and cams are easily changeable from one bike to the next.

My understanding is that the WR ECU is still locked as it has been..  Meaning you need to buy the competition unit.  I would think that the FX and YZ ECU's are the some, maybe with different maps, but someone above stated that they are different part numbers.  They both probably start with settings of all zeros, so they each will likely have settings similar, but somewhat unique to them.  I can't see the GET ECU being a big seller on this bike, Yamaha already has the best programmer going, but a handlebar switch that changes maps would definitely be cool.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2015 - 11:45 AM

My understanding is that the WR ECU is still locked as it has been..  Meaning you need to buy the competition unit.  I would think that the FX and YZ ECU's are the some, maybe with different maps, but someone above stated that they are different part numbers.  They both probably start with settings of all zeros, so they each will likely have settings similar, but somewhat unique to them.  I can't see the GET ECU being a big seller on this bike, Yamaha already has the best programmer going, but a handlebar switch that changes maps would definitely be cool.

According to DBMag, the 250WR GYTR, FX, and YZ all have different ECU's with different maps. I would imagine the 450 to be the same.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 01, 2015 - 11:53 AM

According to DBMag, the 250WR GYTR, FX, and YZ all have different ECU's with different maps. I would imagine the 450 to be the same.

This is probably correct and would be in line with the different part #'s.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that each model starts with different settings, but that Yamaha wants them all to be returned to all zeros to get back to stock settings if you want.  If they all shared the same ECU I don't see how they could all have done that and still have different stock maps between the models.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2015 - 12:53 PM

We have one piece of info stating that the WR and YZX exhaust cams are the same, which, if true, would lead me to speculate that the map on the X would be somewhat as if one were to de-smog and remap a WR for performance, but the X may also have a different intake cam, or any number of other differences we aren't yet aware of.

But regardless, the engine has the same bones as the YZ does, so there isn't any doubt in my mind that the X, or a WR for that matter, isn't capable of producing YZ power if you simply turn it into one by swapping parts.  How the starter will like that remains to be seen. 

• stevethe

Posted November 01, 2015 - 03:47 PM

We have one piece of info stating that the WR and YZX exhaust cams are the same, which, if true, would lead me to speculate that the map on the X would be somewhat as if one were to de-smog and remap a WR for performance, but the X may also have a different intake cam, or any number of other differences we aren't yet aware of.

But regardless, the engine has the same bones as the YZ does, so there isn't any doubt in my mind that the X, or a WR for that matter, isn't capable of producing YZ power if you simply turn it into one by swapping parts.  How the starter will like that remains to be seen.

Well yeah could be the old decompression pin issue differences on the exhaust cam from YZ to electric start FX and WR.
I am hoping the competition ECU doesn't have some non programable differences from the WR to YZ.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:30 PM

I am hoping the competition ECU doesn't have some non programable differences from the WR to YZ.

I very much doubt it.  But the trick might be finding what the exact setting is on the WR to come to the same mapping on the YZ or FX.

• brizower

Posted November 05, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Has anyone heard a definite release date yet? 

• jrusher

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:34 PM

My dealer up here says they should start arriving next week 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.