2016 yz450fx just released

Yamaha YZ450F

107 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:16 PM

The "X" isn't corked. Or green sticker. We're talking about the "X", Kenny. Focus.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1444187776.074838.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:22 PM

What's he doing talking WR when the thread is about the X and in the wrong forum?

Fix it right now. 

• shrubitup

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:42 PM

What's he doing talking WR when the thread is about the X and in the wrong forum?

Fix it right now. 

:doh: 

The link to the article discussed both the FX and WR so I simply thought..... :eek:

• KennyMc

Posted October 06, 2015 - 09:06 PM

:doh:

The link to the article discussed both the FX and WR so I simply thought..... :eek:

Don't let that moderator insignia thingy scare ya, they put there panty hose on one leg at a time just like the rest of us ;)

• Yamaha651

Posted October 07, 2015 - 02:54 AM

I only see one problem!
262 lb ???
That's up there
But I'm sure you could drop a lot of wt by changing to an Mx type tires, kick the kick stand, & skid plate, put an after market pipe, lighter battery !
Etc........
But how much does that add to the price of the bike,, is it worth it?? For some it will be ! for some it won't!

• cowboyona426

Posted October 07, 2015 - 05:44 AM

I'm very interested in this bike, just curious how the gear box is going to perform for snow bike applications.  My KX has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I'm kind of excited at the thought of replacing it with a Yamaha.  Besides, I'm pretty Yamaha poor in the garage right now!

• shrubitup

Posted October 07, 2015 - 07:35 AM

I'm very interested in this bike, just curious how the gear box is going to perform for snow bike applications. My KX has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I'm kind of excited at the thought of replacing it with a Yamaha. Besides, I'm pretty Yamaha poor in the garage right now!

tell me more on the kx suck. I've thought about getting one for dunes (or snow some day). Bad c.r.gearing? My 17 year old kx smoker does good for me for trails.

• Mutley53

Posted October 07, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Interesting that the YZ450FX and WR450F have different radiator shrouds than the other bikes (shape at the bottom behind the radiators). Seems odd.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 07, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Interesting that the YZ450FX and WR450F have different radiator shrouds than the other bikes (shape at the bottom behind the radiators). Seems odd.

....because the WR has a fan on it's shroud.

• Mutley53

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:08 PM

....because the WR has a fan on it's shroud.

So does the WR250F. Well, on the radiator, not shroud.

Edited by Mutley53, October 07, 2015 - 01:28 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:29 PM

So does the WR250F.

Huh?

The FX does not have a fan

• Mutley53

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:40 PM

The YZ450FX and WR450F share the same shrouds. The YZ450F, YZ250F, YZ250FX, and WR250F all share the same shrouds. The WRs both come with fans, while the FXs both have wiring and mounting points for fans. I thought it was odd that the WR/FX 450s have different shrouds than the others when a fan works with the other style, per the WR/FX 250s. No big deal, I just found it interesting. Obviously there could be something I'm not seeing, or the 450s fan is different than the 250s.

• PPG Real Estate

Posted October 07, 2015 - 07:29 PM

2 gallon tank - FAIL

5 speed trans - FAIL

Hey Yamaha, look around and see what everyone is riding......... Yeah build that, you already have by far the best suspension.

Sheesh, it's not that difficult.

• torkd14

Posted October 08, 2015 - 03:45 AM

I don't see why the 5 gear transmission is a problem... I currently ride a '14 YZ450 purely in the bush and have never once thought a 6 gear transmission would make it any better. If geared properly 1st isn't very tall and 5th still gets you going at light speed. Need to learn how to clutch properly instead of complaining about gears I think.

Overall this is a massive door opening for everyone in the offroad world. More competition will mean better bikes in the future. Remember this is Yamaha's first pure offroad race bike and will take a few years to "perfect."

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 08, 2015 - 05:59 AM

I never once used the 6th gear on my 500XCW or 350XCFW when ridding off road, which were geared stock,  because they are not desert bikes; I have another purpose built 5 speed that is geared for the desert

• DEGBTI

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:10 AM

i don't think a 6th gear is needed on a 450. If you want desert gearing put a 14 tooth on it and call it good. You can even drop a couple on the rear and still have enough torque for slower trails. I've ridded /raced the so cal desert my whole life on big bikes. This is what we do and its a non issue. If you ride this bike in the woods, you wont ever touch 5th gear so why worry?

• GHILL28

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:07 AM

I regularly try to find a 6th gear on my '14 YZ450F when cruising fast.  Helps with fuel range.  It needs all the help it can get in that department since this motor EATS fuel - that's what ~60HP costs.

• mxracer333c

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I am glad to see them expand their model line. The bike should have a spark arrestor and a larger fuel tank to be legal and competitive in most off road series. I love Yamaha reliability but I do not understand why they have not made any advancements in weight reduction. One of my woods bikes is a 2005 YZ450F with a spark arrestor end cap, bark busters, and a Rekluse EXP. I still have the stock tank on it. With a full tank the bike weighs 247.5. I love the idea of a new bike and more horsepower but it weighs 14 more pounds than my current bike. I cannot really use all 60 horsepower in the woods anyway. The KYB forks are better than KTMs but overall I think the KTM 450XC-F with more fuel capacity is a better buy for this application. 

• tomerb

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:46 AM

rolliew, on 07 Oct 2015 - 8:29 PM, said:

2 gallon tank - FAIL

5 speed trans - FAIL

Hey Yamaha, look around and see what everyone is riding......... Yeah build that, you already have by far the best suspension.

Sheesh, it's not that difficult.

:thumbsup: ................ :facepalm:

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2015 - 09:13 AM

I regularly try to find a 6th gear on my '14 YZ450F when cruising fast.  Helps with fuel range.  It needs all the help it can get in that department since this motor EATS fuel - that's what ~60HP costs.

I added a WR 4th and 5th gear to my transmission and ended up dropping to a 13/50 from a 13/48.  The thing runs over 80 with ease, and cruises at 60+ happily.  I don't think you'd be looking for 6th very often with an X. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.