Yamaha YZ450F

107 replies to this topic
  • barbwire44

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Just saw this may be old news but dirtrider just posted it to their website  

http://www.dirtrider...wr450f-unveiled

• GHILL28

Posted October 06, 2015 - 09:38 AM

So the only thing I see that you really get with the FX versus the F is the WR box.  Everything else is bolt-on mods to the 450F.

For CA, I don't really see the point in a purpose-built trail bike that is red sticker.  For that alone I'd go for the WR450, especially now that it shares the same motor and chassis as the YZF.  Seems like it would be most wise to start with the WR450, gut the emissions stuff, and get a YZF ECU on there so you could change the mapping how you want. 

It's a shame they did this for 2016 too, the year when they took steps backwards in the steering/handling department with the 450F.

Edited by GHILL28, October 06, 2015 - 09:44 AM.

• Truck216

Posted October 06, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Was looking at a new Husky for next season buit this is a definite game changer!!! Good on yamaha for getting in the offroad scene! E-Start!!!

So the only thing I see that you really get with the FX versus the F is the WR box.  Everything else is bolt-on mods to the 450F.

For CA, I don't really see the point in a purpose-built trail bike that is red sticker.  For that alone I'd go for the WR450, especially now that it shares the same motor and chassis as the YZF.  Seems like it would be most wise to start with the WR450, gut the emissions stuff, and get a YZF ECU on there so you could change the mapping how you want. 

It's a shame they did this for 2016 too, the year when they took steps backwards in the steering/handling department with the 450F.

Specifically states "built specifically for hare scrambles and GNCC® competition" not sure where you got the "trail bike" idea. Havn't seen any Electric start bolt on kits for the yz450 either. For every other state besdies CA this is going to be huge for the offroad crowd that only sees orange at every race.

Edited by Truck216, October 06, 2015 - 11:12 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Yup.  The 450X was built as a race bike, same as the YZF, just different racing is all.  The desert crowd around here is going to eat these up.  The E-start is going to be huge at the scrambles'.  Be a nay-sayer all you want.

• GHILL28

Posted October 06, 2015 - 12:41 PM

Derrr forgot about the button.  That's a biggie.  Though I'm not sure I'd reap the benefits of that while running a Rekluse except for the start of a race.

REALLY wish they had a 6-speed box though.  That would round it out really nicely against a similar KTM XC-W.

• Truck216

Posted October 06, 2015 - 01:29 PM

Derrr forgot about the button.  That's a biggie.  Though I'm not sure I'd reap the benefits of that while running a Rekluse except for the start of a race.

It's not that big of a difference I've gotten holeshots while kick starting but those E-start KTM's have gotten more haha i'm sure at the pro and AA level its a huge diference ... It's cool to see yamaha stepping up to the niche markets like european brands.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Sooooo, then you shouldn't buy one.

You must not get it. 

All green sticker bikes are soft and slow, and under suspended, even the RRR version of the new BETA's, in comparison to this new FX.

There is no green sticker bike available that is this agressive, period.

The closest thing is the Husky FE series, but they are still small and flexy bikes with crap forks and soft power.

So, please don't buy the FX.

• GHILL28

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Sooooo, then you shouldn't buy one.

You must not get it. 

All green sticker bikes are soft and slow, and under suspended, even the RRR version of the new BETA's, in comparison to this new FX.

There is no green sticker bike available that is this agressive, period.

The closest thing is the Husky FE series, but they are still small and flexy bikes with crap forks and soft power.

So, please don't buy the FX.

Someone got their skirt caught in the chain.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:21 PM

My skirts aren't that long

• KennyMc

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:27 PM

My skirts aren't that long

With your legs they should be :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:42 PM

Just saw this may be old news but dirtrider just posted it to their website

http://www.dirtrider...wr450f-unveiled

Bravo Yamaha. The WR finally grows up. I want one and would of course uncork it. :applause:

• YamaLink

Posted October 06, 2015 - 02:48 PM

They've gotten real serious almost KTM-like in getting models out quickly.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Bravo Yamaha. The WR finally grows up. I want one and would of course uncork it. :applause:

This one isn't "corked". 

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:18 PM

It's a permanent condition.  

• barbwire44

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Wish they would have made it a little lighter the Ktm 450xc is listed at 239 lbs no fuel the yz450fx is listed at 262 wet, Gas weight 6.3 lbs per gallons so we can subtract almost 13 lbs for fuel making the yz weigh in at 249 lbs and Ktm runs lithium batteries depending on what battery yamaha used, if they used the ytz7s like in the 250fx that's around another 4 lbs that could be deducted making it at around 245lbs. Would be nice if there was another 6 lbs to be had somewhere to make it a level playing field but I don't know where it would be?

• KennyMc

Posted October 06, 2015 - 05:52 PM

This one isn't "corked".

Being as its a green sticker, you don't think it still has a throttle stop and other mapping games to obtain the green sticker?

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:08 PM

Being as its a green sticker, you don't think it still has a throttle stop and other mapping games to obtain the green sticker?

The "X" isn't corked. Or green sticker.  We're talking about the "X", Kenny.  Focus. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:47 PM

It's a permanent condition.  

Nice sucker punch

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Wish they would have made it a little lighter the Ktm 450xc is listed at 239 lbs no fuel the yz450fx is listed at 262 wet, Gas weight 6.3 lbs per gallons so we can subtract almost 13 lbs for fuel making the yz weigh in at 249 lbs and Ktm runs lithium batteries depending on what battery yamaha used, if they used the ytz7s like in the 250fx that's around another 4 lbs that could be deducted making it at around 245lbs. Would be nice if there was another 6 lbs to be had somewhere to make it a level playing field but I don't know where it would be?

There is no such model as a 450XC. There is an XCF, and it is 247lbs wet.

Exhaust and an aluminum bolt kit would save you 4 lbs.

• KennyMc

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:14 PM

The "X" isn't corked. Or green sticker. We're talking about the "X", Kenny. Focus.

Well he was commenting on the WR though when he said the corking comment. Fricken moderators :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.