2014 YZ450F Rear Shock Removal

5 replies to this topic
  • mxvet137

Posted October 04, 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hello,

Do I need to remove the gas tank in order to get the rear shock off and out? So far I've pulled off the subframe, the pipe from mid up, the bottom and top shock bolts. There isn't enough clearance to pull the shock out. What am I missing?

Thanks!

• Bremer120

Posted October 04, 2015 - 03:39 PM

The swing arm is pretty tight towards the bottom of the shock spring. Most of the time I will service the linkage at the same time so unbolting all linkage and dropping the swing arm down makes things easier. The swing arm should pivot enough to do the job without. A tall stand or taking your wheel off will also make this easier. The shock should lower out of its top cradle and come out. The tank removes easily and can pivoted to the side to allow vision but does not need to be removed.

• mxvet137

Posted October 04, 2015 - 04:28 PM

The swing arm is pretty tight towards the bottom of the shock spring. Most of the time I will service the linkage at the same time so unbolting all linkage and dropping the swing arm down makes things easier. The swing arm should pivot enough to do the job without. A tall stand or taking your wheel off will also make this easier. The shock should lower out of its top cradle and come out. The tank removes easily and can pivoted to the side to allow vision but does not need to be removed.

Great advice, thanks so much!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted October 04, 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hello,

Do I need to remove the gas tank in order to get the rear shock off and out? So far I've pulled off the subframe, the pipe from mid up, the bottom and top shock bolts. There isn't enough clearance to pull the shock out. What am I missing?

Thanks!

You don't have to remove the pipe, or even the subframe, just the tank. All you have to do it lift the tank up and rotate it around backwards...

• mxvet137

Posted October 04, 2015 - 05:05 PM

You don't have to remove the pipe, or even the subframe, just the tank. All you have to do it lift the tank up and rotate it around backwards...

Too late. But in the future, I will do it like you say. Thanks for the input!

• Monk

Posted October 04, 2015 - 05:23 PM

Too late. But in the future, I will do it like you say. Thanks for the input!

Wait till you add a larger tank, then you'll be up shits Creek. A major PITA!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.