HARD STARTER

4 replies to this topic
  • xrwheelyman

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:48 PM

I cannot get my XR600 started without use of a little hot start from the can.... I am not a FNG when it comes to starting big bores. I have owned too many big bore 2 strokes and 4 strokes to count. I just cannot seem to get this one to come to life. I know the drill about proceedure. It has plenty of compression and I just tanked the carbs to clean them. The plug is new. Any ideas from anyone please.
Thanks,
Randy

• varnado

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:21 AM

Is this bike new to you or is this an old problem. I recently bought an XR600 and I had a time learning which procedure would work best for my bike. Seems like they all have little steps that work for some and not for others. Look back a few days in this discussion heading and you will see the responses I had to my same question. Lots of good ideas....

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 28, 2004 - 12:41 PM

Check your spark. You should see a nice strong blue spark. If its a small orangish or yellowish spark, then your spark is weak and you'll have to find out why (coil or wire grounding out, etc).

Make sure you're using fresh fuel and that you have enough fuel in the tank so its covering the top of the fuel inlet inside the tank.

If the bike is new to you, then perhaps check the valve clearances, particularly the intake valves. Also check the decomp lever to make sure its set within spec.

• xrwheelyman

Posted February 28, 2004 - 05:22 PM

Check your spark. You should see a nice strong blue spark. If its a small orangish or yellowish spark, then your spark is weak and you'll have to find out why (coil or wire grounding out, etc).

Make sure you're using fresh fuel and that you have enough fuel in the tank so its covering the top of the fuel inlet inside the tank.

If the bike is new to you, then perhaps check the valve clearances, particularly the intake valves. Also check the decomp lever to make sure its set within spec.

I have not checked my plug or spark yet. I just bought a new plug and went to a DPR7EA-9 and will check the spark tomorrow. The bike is new to me and never thought about the valves??? I disconnected the decomp cable off the kick lever. Lot to do tomorrow :)
Thanks,
Randy

• RidesRed

Posted March 08, 2004 - 09:12 PM

A valve adjustment may do WONDERS

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.