15 replies to this topic
  • markjo2013

Posted October 01, 2015 - 07:22 PM

anyone use these clutchs  and do they work

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 02, 2015 - 05:39 AM

Yes

Yes

If you are serious about one, get the CORE 3.0 full version.

If you have trouble with stalling out or don't like manually modulating the clutch for traction, you will love it.

• rah7777777

Posted October 02, 2015 - 06:18 AM

I have the $500'ish version in my WR, it's pretty awesome!

At first I thought "what puss needs that" and then I tried one and said "ok, I'll be that puss!"

It's difficult to get used to at first, but well worth it on the long days in rough terrain.

• SilvFx

Posted October 02, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Buddy and I both have a Z-Start Pro Rekluse clutch in our 09/07 WR450F's.  The Z-Start pro seems to be bulletproof so far.  Retail was $~630 on these.  We picked them up used for about $300.

Absolutely love them.  He picked one up first, I rode his bike and said....gotta have one.  You can still ride like you don't have one if you want (i.e. clutch pull overrides all).

Only thing that takes some getting used to is that when the rpm drops enough to disengage, it can freewheel (e.g. like neutral).  If you go with a low rpm engagement point, it doesn't happen often.

• still2smokin

Posted October 02, 2015 - 03:55 PM

EXP 3.0 ( the cheapest version @ $400 ) user here and I love it , zero issues for me and never felt

it to be grabby at all ,  very smooth and predictable .

Has saved me from stalling the motor in tough technical sections more times than I can count .

Only thing that takes some getting used to is that when the rpm drops enough to disengage, it can freewheel (e.g. like neutral).  If you go with a low rpm engagement point, it doesn't happen often.

I actually like that part for down hills . 

I prefer coasting down hills and only using the brakes instead of compression .

• bopper450

Posted October 03, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I've been debating it myself but only heard horror stories about setup and wearing our parts until I read this thread

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 03, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I've been debating it myself but only heard horror stories about setup and wearing our parts until I read this thread

If you ride in too high a gear all the time, the clutch will slip (and you many not notice it much) and you will wear out the clutch plates and EXP disc sooner......but that's still hundreds of hours from now..........

• bopper450

Posted October 03, 2015 - 07:09 PM

By to high of a gear do u mean if I were to ride in a gear higher then needed in the tight stuff I'd have issues or a cpl gears high? Currently I've been having much better luck staying smooth and turning good times while riding a gear high

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • glock23me

Posted October 07, 2015 - 03:12 PM

I personally do not run a rekluse clutch but my uncle runs one on his wr450f. Takes a little to get used to but I found it very enjoyable to use and it saves the tedious clutch work through tight and technical woods riding. I've ridden his bike multiple times and I'm sold on it. Now I just need the funding lol. My 2 cents = a lot of fun and it makes your bike more manageable.

• TexMic

Posted October 15, 2015 - 10:50 AM

By to high of a gear do u mean if I were to ride in a gear higher then needed in the tight stuff I'd have issues or a cpl gears high? Currently I've been having much better luck staying smooth and turning good times while riding a gear high

If you wouldn't run that high of gear (due to stalling the engine or having to constantly slip the clutch to prevent stalling) with a regular clutch, don't do it with the Rekluse. People sometimes get lazy run a gear higher than they would normally because they can. Rekluse themselves warn against this. The Rekluse will just keep slipping the clutch due to the low revs and prevent a stall that would occur with a normal clutch. You'd hear some chatter from the clutch as it grabs and lets go constantly. Any gear you can cruise above the regular full engagement point is fine. 

Things that I would ride in second with a regular clutch and lug it out, I still do on the Rekluse. On the singletrack I ride, I almost always leave it in second even when rolling from a stop, the only difference is I never have to touch the clutch lever if I don't want to. If I do decide to use the lever, I can feather it just fine at higher rpms, it acts like a normal clutch.

I have a Z Start Pro in my 07 WR450. I liked the design better than the EXP. My friends have just the EXP in their bikes, two are DRZ400's and one is an 03 WR450. I didn't like that the clutch is super stiff with the EXP. 

The thing I like the most about the Z Start Pro that I have is it is very adjustable with the kit. I have mine set at the recommended middle setting and it's worked great since I installed it 9 months ago, but I think I'm going to try lowering the engagement point a little. Near idle engagement is a little high for extreme slow speed balance work and it doesn't help that my WR has a snatchy throttle off idle. It's usually only an issue when I'm waiting on someone and don't want to put my feet down or when I'm picking my way through some downed trees on the trail. Even then it doesn't really bother me which is why I've left it. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Automatic means you don't get to decide when or how the clutch will modulate. You can tune it to operate and slip withing a 'range' of rpm and load. But it stays in that tune.

It modulates on some instances better, and others worse.

It's worse on steep uphill climbs where the highest possible gear is needed to retain traction, AND to not slow down and keeping momentum.

I found myself having to slow down and down shift to keep forward motion to happen consistently, without the slipping.

For flatter, or faster trails, or track, especially racing, it works awesome, as the extra throttle agression really makes the clutch hook up well.

• sherco67

Posted October 16, 2015 - 03:59 PM

I love the Z-Start Pro, use Rotella T oil from Walmart at 12 bucks a gallon, just drop every 5 hours, two down falls are no bump starts and can't park in gear on hill as it will still roll.

• bobpara

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:47 AM

The one thing you give up with a Rekluse is the fact that the clutch lever (if used properly) is like a second throttle.....or like the turbo button

I come from an MX background and cant imagine using a Rekluse

When you exit a berm and poke that clutch just right, POW ! You wheelie right out of a berm

With the rekluse it will still sort of do that, but its like your clutch is on prozac, nothing like the real thing

• 01bullitt

Posted October 18, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Wr I picked up a few days ago had one in it and I think that is what caused the engine failure. It was locked up when I got it. I'm sure it was install error by previous owner, aluminum all over the basket and inside the side case. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183271.841034.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183286.616424.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183302.439832.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183130.206419.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183220.148143.jpg

• jmd426

Posted October 18, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Wr I picked up a few days ago had one in it and I think that is what caused the engine failure. It was locked up when I got it. I'm sure it was install error by previous owner, aluminum all over the basket and inside the side case. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183271.841034.jpg
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183286.616424.jpg
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445183302.439832.jpg

Looks like the previous owner had no business owning a dirt bike....

• Monk

Posted October 18, 2015 - 05:36 PM

The one thing you give up with a Rekluse is the fact that the clutch lever (if used properly) is like a second throttle.....or like the turbo button
I come from an MX background and cant imagine using a Rekluse
When you exit a berm and poke that clutch just right, POW ! You wheelie right out of a berm
With the rekluse it will still sort of do that, but its like your clutch is on prozac, nothing like the real thing

Ya, No. If I didnt tell you I had a Rekluse in any of my bikes, you would never know...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.