08 wr450f no compression

14 replies to this topic
  • Dirtbike Brad

Posted October 01, 2015 - 06:57 PM

Ok, a I've recently been doing work on the wr and have ran into problems. I have the fmf powercore4 slip on w/ stock header and have recently taken it off to get to my linkage & replace bearings. Anyway, after reinstalling my fmf I had an exhaust leak at the mid pipe connection. That caused popping and backfiring until it finally cut out all together. Well I went back with a hammer and got a better seal I thought, bike ran fine for a little over a week until the same thing happend, popping & motor cuts out. I've put her in the garage and removed the fmf pipe & reinstalled the stock exhaust to see if it was an exhaust problem again. Now I've got no compression when I kick the motor there's nothing there. I can crank it over with my hand & the battery is dead from trying to use the e-start too much. Any help trouble shooting my problems would be appreciated.

• ozijake08

Posted October 02, 2015 - 04:29 AM

I hate to tell you this but if nothing went bang it can only be a probate with a valve not closing

• stevethe

Posted October 02, 2015 - 05:19 AM

A 08 shouldn't have any issues. They all can pop on decel it's normal. Make sure if you have no compression? If none pop off the top of the valve cover and see if you lost a valve. One of the springs will be popped up.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 02, 2015 - 05:21 AM

...or your auto decompressor is stuck shut. The lever should move with your fingers.

Decel popping is more likly a fuel screw not adjusted or leaking from a bad oring

Edited by KRANNIE, October 02, 2015 - 05:21 AM.

• Dirtbike Brad

Posted October 02, 2015 - 08:23 AM

I remember that week it was running that it would idol high. I could pull in the clutch & it was almost at 4k on my tach. & the decomp lever is free and working properly. So valves huh :/

• still2smokin

Posted October 02, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Not to be a dick but are you sure there is zero compression ? 

Does it sound normal when trying to E-start it , as in was it spinning faster than normal ?

I can rotate my motor by hand with the kick start but It hurts like a bitch .

Your first issue sounded more like an electrical problem to me .

Have you checked for spark ?

A valve lash check should show signs if it's actually valve issues  .

Edited by still2smokin, October 02, 2015 - 04:34 PM.

• Dirtbike Brad

Posted October 10, 2015 - 10:57 AM

Quick follow up on my dead WR. Took the top off the motor they were all dead on in spec (.10 in & .20ex) I got the .23 under on ex valve once but it was hard as he'll to do & I couldn't really get it when I double checked everything.

Replaced spark plug & tried to fire the motor still nothing, pulled the coil with the plug still in it to check for a spark hit that ignition switch and gave myself a good shock so we're all good there.

As for compression I can move the kick start full circle with my hand but after one crank when it comes back to the top it's like I never moved it so I didn't know if that was normal for the motor to auto decompress after every crank I thought it would build up more than that.

Ps. New air filter + clean gas are being used

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 10, 2015 - 11:46 AM

One of the valves must be leaking

• stevethe

Posted October 10, 2015 - 01:10 PM

You said you have a dead battery in your first post. Replace it.

• Dirtbike Brad

Posted October 10, 2015 - 04:38 PM

Battery isn't ruined it's just drained from trying to start the bike over & over. & wouldnt i still be able to kick start with no battery?

How would I check for a valve leak? I don't even know where to start for that...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 10, 2015 - 04:54 PM

If you have the head off, turn it over and pour gas into the combustion chamber.....it shouldn't pour through....

• Dirtbike Brad

Posted October 10, 2015 - 05:00 PM

I guess when I get off work I will ohm out the ignition system pet the manual and report back with the results there.

• Dirtbike Brad

Posted October 10, 2015 - 06:57 PM

I haven't taken the head off. I just took the case off to reveal the cam shafts and measured the gap under each lobe. Are you saying to pull all that & put gas on the piston and see if it filters through?

Sorry about so many questions but this is my first bike & first real problems I'm having with it.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 11, 2015 - 05:52 AM

I haven't taken the head off. I just took the case off to reveal the cam shafts and measured the gap under each lobe. Are you saying to pull all that & put gas on the piston and see if it filters through?

Sorry about so many questions but this is my first bike & first real problems I'm having with it.

Take the head off, turn it upside down and pour gas in combustion chamber, if gas leaks past the valves then you will know the valves are not seating properly.

• stevethe

Posted October 11, 2015 - 01:57 PM

You may consider taking the bike to someone that is a good mechanic for diagnoses. Hopefully there is something minor you have overlooked.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.