650R performance #'s

15 replies to this topic
  • warthog

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:07 PM

Hi Guys,

First post alert :)

After a 20-year hiatus I got back into riding 2 years ago and currently have an FZ1 which I like a lot....but...you know how it goes...the craving to add a 2nd bike has caught up with me!

Right now I'm leaning towards a 650R for the fun factor, and if I get one plan to convert and street ride it for a majority of the time. I've searched the forum but haven't found performance #'s(stock or uncorked) for 0-30mph, 0-60mph, roll-on's, etc. I know numbers will vary based on what mods are installed but if you have any data you can share, or pointers to earlier threads on the subject, I'd be much obliged. I'm real curious to know how a 650R will compare to my FZ at lower speeds.

Cheers :D

• smashinz2002

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:03 PM

I've had my XR650R for almost 3 years now, so I will try to answer the best I can. First, if you get one, make sure you "uncork" it. Which means to do the upgrade mods to the intake and jetting, details can be found in this forum.
Stock, the bike is slow, hard to start, and overheats, so it MUST be uncorked properly to run as it should.
Once uncorked, this bike is extremely potent. The power begins very abruptly at very low rpm (just above idle), builds into a brutish midrange, then tapers off fast at high rpm. So basically this bike is about Tons of Torque no matter what gear your in, at low to medium revs. Adding an aftermarket pipe and header can easily extend the power curve and give it more top end, but I thought it kinda flattened the "trigger happy" feeling right off the bottom.
Anyway, as far as 0-30, well, I have an analog speedo on mine, and if I nail it hard off the start, the speedo needle jumps to 30 pretty much instantly, so I guess 0-30 would be about a second. 0-60? I honestly don't know but given good traction, my guess would be 2.5 to 3 sec. Top speed (100mph) can be reached as fast as you can shift through the gears, not sure of the total time but it's not long.
As far as roll ons, expect ass yanking power even at 70mph in high gear.
For more Fun, try a CR500 or KX500. I also have a '97CR500 and it will smoke the living crap out of my XR. Staying on that bad boy with the throttle wicked up is not an easy task, but it's fun as hell! Power to wt ratio for a late model CR500 is around 1:3.3 compared to 1:5 for the XR
The big 1 liter crotch rockets are around 1:1.8 for comparison there.

• xrbrp

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:09 AM

but I thought it kinda flattened the "trigger happy" feeling right off the bottom.

Can you tell me what you mean. I am in the process of making the mods to my bike and and picking them up at the dealer today, but I am only buying the tip not the pipe, will that make a difference. I am also purchasing a 13t front sprocket and poss a 50t rear, I am going to try the 13t first and see.

also what did you mean that the power tapered off, does it lose power or just flaten out?

• sactoXR

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:28 AM

The big 1 liter crotch rockets are around 1:1.8 for comparison there.

A little bit overstated. 1:2.4 (new CBR1000RR, R1, ZX10) to 1:3.3 (RC51) is more accurate for the liter bikes. MotoGP bikes are in the neighborhood of 1:1.4!! :)

• Haggis

Posted February 27, 2004 - 07:28 AM

I have had my 650R for 3 years now and have converted it to supermotard spec love it big time. I found that the stock headers gave better bottom end compared to the Arrow system I have fitted now although it mearly smooths the power out but deffinetly gives a stronger top end rush. Perfect for supermotard action . I also drilled the airbox and upjetted and moved the needle up a notch.

Its a good choice for a second bike and I am sure you will love it too.

• warthog

Posted February 28, 2004 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for your responses guys. I appreciate your input :) .

Having owned a 650R, would you buy another one ? If not, what would your next option be for a motard?

• slip

Posted February 28, 2004 - 04:48 AM

I read somewhere online that a stock XRR uncorked cranked out 52-55 hp's. :D That's considerably more than my L at 39 hp's. :)

• smashinz2002

Posted February 28, 2004 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, Slip, it is quite a bit more hp than the L, and believe me you can really feel the difference. The R basically yanks your butt forward, I don't even know if it's possible to accelerate "gently" on that bike. The flywheel is pretty light, so it revs quick and abruptly, giving it a very snappy feeling especially at low and mid revs. People say that Harleys have lots of torque? HA! They don't know torque till they ride a 650R (or a KX500 haha)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big_D

Posted February 28, 2004 - 08:41 PM

I have two good examples of BRP torque. One of my riding buddies fouled his last plug on his KX250 and I had to tow him back to the truck. He started getting uncomfortable with how fast I was going so he decided to use his rear brake to slow us down. I felt the increased drag and just fed in a bit more throttle. When his rear tire locked up and we had not slowed down a bit he yelled. Why he did not release the tow strap I will never know. :)

The best one was when we came across a girl about 12 years old trying to restart her trail plug (ATV). After a few pulls on the start cord we checked the gas...None. So out came the tow strap and back to the parking lot we go. Somehow about half way back to the truck she clicked her ATV into gear. The BRP did not mind one bit! :D It just bounced her along without missing a beat until the girl released the tow strap.

Just a note: to tow I use a 20' piece of tubular nylon webbing and I secure it to my handlebars between the bar clamps, run the line between my legs and wrap it around the bars of the towed bike a couple of times and the other rider holds the end at the left grip. So they do not have to hold the line for dear life, and if they have a problem the can break the link by letting go of the left grip. :D

• mr660

Posted February 29, 2004 - 12:58 PM

rope between the legs???? are you nuts? unless i am imagining this wrong, one bind of the rope and the old ball sack is history!!! :)

• scorch

Posted February 29, 2004 - 01:10 PM

Hi Guys,

First post alert :)

After a 20-year hiatus I got back into riding 2 years ago and currently have an FZ1 which I like a lot....but...you know how it goes...the craving to add a 2nd bike has caught up with me!

Right now I'm leaning towards a 650R for the fun factor, and if I get one plan to convert and street ride it for a majority of the time. I've searched the forum but haven't found performance #'s(stock or uncorked) for 0-30mph, 0-60mph, roll-on's, etc. I know numbers will vary based on what mods are installed but if you have any data you can share, or pointers to earlier threads on the subject, I'd be much obliged. I'm real curious to know how a 650R will compare to my FZ at lower speeds.

'

You have a fz1? If so, I have a R1 and I can give you some idea how it compared. If you are looking to do wheelies, then the xr beats the r1. The xr has a twitchier throttle, it can come up with the 3rd gear with just a 1/4 throttle. It cant do high speed wheelies, mostly because most of the power is downlow.

the xr is way more fun than a r1. And I like riding my xr650r on the street at lower speeds and still have tons of fun. On my r1, I need to go over 100mph to get the same buzz i get from 40mph on the xr650r.

Kids love dirt bikes, they really love it when I bust a wheelie past them when they are riding with their parents in their minivans :D

• scorch

Posted February 29, 2004 - 01:23 PM

on another note, I had these guys on loud ass cruisers, probaly hogs with some work in them.

I was stopped at a red light minding my own business :D, and they pulled up behind me. I waved to them, they didnt return the wave.. No biggie :)

Light turn green, and I stared riding, and i Guess I must have been riding really slow because they passed me on my lane and startled me. I wanted to have some fun, at the next light. I pulled up right behind them, as they did me. And I knew they were going to try and take off because they looked back at me like I was a dick. :D

Light turn green, They hit it. I hit it too. Imediatly the bike went up into the air. And for 2nd and 3rd I did wheelies Past them. The bike kept pulling away from them. They never saw it coming :D Sucks, cause their bikes were all shiny and stuff, and my bike was all muddy, and throwing mud at them when I was passing them. :D

Don't pick on brp's [@#$%&*!].. :usa:

• SHANEDOGG

Posted February 29, 2004 - 01:50 PM

warthog,

I have a '02 XR650R, uncorked w/ a lowering link for sale. I purchase new from the dealer 5 months ago. It has a 2-year warranty. $4500. It's a great bike and hauls ass, but I'm riding technical stuff that it's a little big for. email me at stoeke@cox.net if you're interested...thanks

• warthog

Posted February 29, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up Shane. I'm in Toronto. A cross border sale wouldn't make sense for me. Good luck with it though. Cheers.

• irondude

Posted February 29, 2004 - 04:36 PM

a built 650 r motor will accelerate from 60-90 in less than 4 seconds...serious roll-on...few (if any?) off road machines this side of a trophy truck will stay with it!

• SHANEDOGG

Posted February 29, 2004 - 04:44 PM

Yeah,

I just rode the XR today, even though it's for sale - I think if I don't have any takers, I might just dump a little money in the 'ole BRP and make it bad ass....Pipe, gearing, tires - maybe a steering damper...Possibly dual-sport it. I'll probably end up keeping it and then hopefully the CRF450X will come to life....i'm waiting... In the mean time I'm just enjoying the ride. Good luck.

Shane :)

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.