Help with JD kit on my WR450.

5 replies to this topic
  • mjb40

Posted February 26, 2004 - 04:58 PM

I installed a JD kit on my '04 WR450 this week. Standard settings with PMB insert, and open airbox. At 1 3/4 turns on the pilot screw I was getting some popping and backfires on deceleration, and stuttering up to 1/2 throttle, then hang-on! At 2 1/4 turns the popping improved, but I still have the stutter in the bottom 1/2. At 3 turns it got worse again.
I'm riding at 1200ft and 40 to 50 degrees. Whats my next move to smooth out the bottom half? Will a move up on the jet needle solve the problem, or should I try a #48 pilot jet? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

• basicblues

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:06 PM

Which needle are you using? Red or Blue?

• mjb40

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:27 PM

I'm using the blue needle in the 4th clip position, a #170 main, and the stock #45 pilot jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:34 PM

Try the 165 main, red needle #5, 48 pilot, 2 turns out. I think you are running on the rich side at the needle and lean on the pilot. Cutting out is a sign of rich condition. The jetting you are using is what I use at 30 degrees and 700 feet with an uncorked stock pipe. :)

• mjb40

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:48 PM

I ordered a #48 pilot jet and should have it in a couple of days.
Wouldn't a rich needle and lean pilot balance each other out? :) Probably a stupid question, I'm a slow learner, but I can be taught.

• YamahaSteve

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:27 PM

You probably do not want do that.

Size each circuit's jets appropriately for the conditions. With a little patience you can get all the circuits jetted right without having to use the pilot circuit to compensate for the needle circuit. That is just my $0.02.

I would agree that it sounds like you are rich on the needle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.