siezed lower end

7 replies to this topic
  • st400f

Posted February 26, 2002 - 05:46 PM

well after three and half years of racing the bottom end finally gave up the ghost .how long should you get out of a lower end ?any tips on a rebuild i should know about ? thanks st

• yz454

Posted February 26, 2002 - 06:00 PM

What broke?

• st400f

Posted February 26, 2002 - 06:13 PM

the bottom bearing of the connecting rod siezed

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 27, 2002 - 02:31 AM

I'm not sure about the expected time, but did you find out why it seized? That sounds unusual to me, sounds like an oil related problem (not enough oil getting to the rod bearing). Was the crank blued at all near the rod pin?

On the other hand, are you sure that the bearing didn't break which in turn caused it to seize? If it gets loose and has excessive play the the rod bearing or the rod itself can break. Be sure you find the cause before you put it back together. If an oil line is plugged or something then you won't know until you fry a brand new rod and crank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J-Dawg

Posted February 27, 2002 - 07:38 AM

Hey st400. When I took my crank apart it was blue from getting hot. When I was dissasembling my cases my oil filter was collapsed, so I probably was not getting adequate oil flow. This could have been caused by my valve shim bucket falling apart on yhe bottom edge. When I took out the filter there was a lot of shavings around it. In your manual it tells you a way to test your oil pump to make sure it is working. Also check your oil lines to make sure they are claer. GOOD Luck-C-ya

• acarter920

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:22 PM

Im sure you already knew this, and i probably sound like an idiot saying it... but while you're in there, make sure to replace all the other bearings, seals, ect... because if you dont, then probably pretty soon everything else will start going. If the bottom of the rod is tight, but everything else is worn, then that could cause more pressure on the parts, thus a much bigger bill if you dont replace them.

• acarter920

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:31 PM

Im sure you already knew this, and i probably sound like an idiot saying it... but while you're in there, make sure to replace all the other bearings, seals, ect... because if you dont, then probably pretty soon everything else will start going. If the bottom of the rod is tight, but everything else is worn, then that could cause more pressure on the parts, thus a much bigger bill if you dont replace them.

• acarter920

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:45 PM

oop... sorry for the double post :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.