Very interesting article...(read this)

6 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted February 26, 2002 - 04:45 PM

Hey guys my friend found this article and emailed it to me check it out! (It is about breaking in an engine.) http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

I always thought the easier you are on the bike the 1st few hours the better? The 1st time I read this article I thought it was nonsense, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. But does it work? What do you guys think about this method? Do any of you guys break your bikes in like this? I am interested to hear what you "techies" have to say about this! Thanks,

• leif

Posted February 26, 2002 - 04:55 PM

I have always been a believer in "break it in like your going to ride it"! I've have friends break in engines both ways. From that, I personally feel that if you baby them at break in. You will be riding a pouch!

• Chris_Slade

Posted February 26, 2002 - 05:00 PM

Wow...I just got my 954, been running around 3-6k rpm. Have 240 miles on it so far. I will start running her closer to 5-8k rpm from now on, occasionally touching close to 10k. Hmm....yeah, I thought taking it easy was the way to go too!! She redlines at 11,500, so that should be pretty good!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shane

Posted February 26, 2002 - 05:33 PM

Does that brake in method mean for all bikes including 2 srokes, or for just 4 strokes? It makes pretty good sense to me but I think when I break in a bike I will run it harder than I would have before I read that, but I still wont run it all out.

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: Shane ]

• GoFaster

Posted February 26, 2002 - 06:11 PM

I just broke in a 02 KTM300exc. Ran it mild for 20 miles. Harder on the next 20 miles. Blasted it for another 20 miles. The rides consisted of tight trails to wide open fields. I can only hope it was done properly. Previously I broke in my 00 DRZ400s by riding 1/2 throttle for 500 miles.
I've heard too many stories of people seizing a new bike or a rebuilt bike. I couldn't just race it from the beginning.
To me it doesn't make sense. The motor is at it's tightest point when new. I would think you would need to take it easy, make sure everything gets oil and avoid to much heat until things get a little settled.
But I'm not a tech.

• Dagwood

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:23 PM

The article makes complete sense. I have been building motorcycle motors for fun for 18 years.
I have never been able to resist getting on a freshly built bike and riding it as fast as it will go, just to see if I had accomplished what I set out to do. The thing to remember here, is to make sure all parts are within specs. Differents parts and alloys have different expansion rates under heat. So if the tolerences are to close between a piston and the cyclinder the piston will swell (expand) quicker than the cyclinder which is called a cold seige. IF YOU BUILD IT RIGHT, RIDE THE HELL OUT OF IT.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 27, 2002 - 04:29 PM

I read it, and thats the way Ive been doin it for 25+ years. Basically get it warm, and flog it. Getting it warm though is key. Heat is your friend to a point. If the oil is cold, its not going to flow properly and things that shouldnt touch are going to touch. That is bad.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.