Yamaha YZ450F 2005

Last review by 2fast4luv
* * * * -

Yamaha YZ450F 2009

Last review by w5rjh
* * * * -
Photo
- - - - -

Raising forks on 2016 to improve cornering?

• Please sign in to reply

43 replies to this topic
  • jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,107 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:17 PM

here is the deal, 

mx32 tire

100mm sag

5mm up on forks

your welcome

Good thing I just ordered that tire about 10 minutes ago. Should be here in time to have it on by the weekend. I think I'm gonna follow the rest of the advice as well, as that seems to be the consensus on the settings. Will report back with findings. I also ordered a 49 tooth rear to replace the 48. Third gear lugs a little more than I'd like.  :ride:

• Monk
23,700 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:39 PM

here is the deal,

mx32 tire
100mm sag
5mm up on forks

your welcome

Maybe on a 14/15 model, the 16s though... I don't know...

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2015 - 02:17 PM

I also ordered a 49 tooth rear to replace the 48. Third gear lugs a little more than I'd like.  :ride:

Go faster.  Or downshift.

Kidding.  But seriously, I never quite get complaints or comments like that.  If you decide that 5000 RPM is the "bottom" of the scale and 10K is the top, the bike will pull from 32 to 65 mph in third.  But it will also pull from 27 to 53 in second.  Going from a 48 to a 49 will only change the third gear running range under those circumstances by about .6 MPH at 5K, so it becomes 31.4 to 63 instead.  Not sure that will do much.  The first three gears in the bike are very close, and there's a lot of overlap, especially being a 4-stroke.

As far as tires go, especially fronts, everyone's dirt is different, and everyone rides differently.  Bikes are different, too of course, just not as much so as the other two things.  Look at what the really fast guys in your area are running.  Bridgestone M203 did it for me; couldn't live with the MX31/51 in front.

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,107 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 02:31 PM

Im just hoping it will give it a little more pop coming out of the corners. I like lugging third even in tight corners. I know everything is a trade-off. I will sacrifice a little top speed for a little more low end. But the track I ride is kinda tight and technical so hopefully it will pay off. Ive heard a few recommendations for the 49 and even 50

Edited by jcross312, September 30, 2015 - 02:33 PM.

• ckny

TT Titanium Member

2,426 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:48 AM

Flash a more aggressive map. The hard hitting map for my 15 FX was a big difference the other day, had the wheel lifting out of tight corners in the woods.

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,107 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Flash a more aggressive map. The hard hitting map for my 15 FX was a big difference the other day, had the wheel lifting out of tight corners in the woods.

You got the numbers for that map? I've been playing around a little with it.

• ckny

TT Titanium Member

2,426 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 08:19 AM

That is a 250FX map.
Here are some 450 baseline maps...
http://www.yamaha-mo...rtunerchart.pdf

Lots more maps out there.

• ckny

TT Titanium Member

2,426 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 08:26 AM

You got the numbers for that map? I've been playing around a little with it.

450 maps....
http://www.yamaha-mo...m114-559333.pdf

https://www.shopyama...0&dealernumber=

Edited by ckny, October 01, 2015 - 09:20 AM.

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,107 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 04:57 PM

Rode this weekend and tried the forks up 4mm. Sag at 105. Made a good improvement over stock. Cornering felt more precise. Also got to ride a '14 with the 22mm clamps. Think I like them better also. Steering felt much more planted. I think he had a lowering link on the shock too. Next ride ill have the mx32 front tire on as well. See how that goes.

• Ctown208

TT Member

99 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 10:01 PM

Any updates

• dj78

TT Member

51 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 12:36 AM

Forks on 0mm and shock sag 106mm feels pretty good.  Bike turns much better with 25mm offset also.

I did try to move forks up but always felt less support from front tyre.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 01:47 AM

The best I could do to my 16, which is very good: pro circuit 143.5mm link, it lowers rear 1/4 inch and firms up the shock (I have a 5.9 spring), then you can raise and lower forks to find your zone. 5mm seems to be the favorite with this setup. Handles Sandy tight whoops much better too, doesn't kick and make you come off the pegs if you get off rhythm

• Edge316

TT Silver Member

503 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I went a different route on my 16 yz450f. Instead of using a lowering link I had Enzo install a spacer in the shock which lowered the rear rear about 7-8mm. Between doing that and the revalve the turning improved but I still had an issue at times with flat turns. I'm now running 22mm offset clamps and I am completely satisfied with the way the bike turns.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 03:51 AM

I went a different route on my 16 yz450f. Instead of using a lowering link I had Enzo install a spacer in the shock which lowered the rear rear about 7-8mm. Between doing that and the revalve the turning improved but I still had an issue at times with flat turns. I'm now running 22mm offset clamps and I am completely satisfied with the way the bike turns.

Doesn't the spacer use up travel? Probably less then an 1/8 inch huh? The link firms up the valving it seems, had to go out on the high speed but it doesn't feel mushy anymore, what did you feel with the spacer?

• Edge316

TT Silver Member

503 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 09:36 AM

The 2.5mm spacer equates to about 7-7.5 mm lower at the rear. Enzo suggested it instead of the lowering link to improve cornering. There's other suspension companies I spoke with that also recommend the spacer for the 14-16 yz450f.I can't honestly say it was the spacer in the shock or the suspension revalve since I had the work done at the same time ,but I did see an improvement. It didn't totally get rid of the sensation of the front end wanting to slide out at times in flat corners but overall cornering was improved. When I installed the 22mm triple clamps everything came together. No more sensation of the front end wanting to slide out. The bike is dialed in great!

Edited by Edge316, October 29, 2016 - 09:37 AM.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 03:44 AM

The 2.5mm spacer equates to about 7-7.5 mm lower at the rear. Enzo suggested it instead of the lowering link to improve cornering. There's other suspension companies I spoke with that also recommend the spacer for the 14-16 yz450f.I can't honestly say it was the spacer in the shock or the suspension revalve since I had the work done at the same time ,but I did see an improvement. It didn't totally get rid of the sensation of the front end wanting to slide out at times in flat corners but overall cornering was improved. When I installed the 22mm triple clamps everything came together. No more sensation of the front end wanting to slide out. The bike is dialed in great!

That's awesome. I know that the 22mm option is a good one then. All my tracks and ride areas are sand around here so I'm not too sure the 22mm would dial it in as much as getting the rear sorted for me. Currently 103mm sag with the pro circuit 143.5 link (about 8mm lower then stock and firmer upper stroke) and clamps 5mm down on fork. Seems good, did have to go out on hs compression on shock to 2 turns out, but it settled the rear down greatly. It's firm, not spongey now in the rear which my biggest gripe.

• jimbopitts

TT Bronze Member

148 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 08:02 AM

Ive had good luck with a longer link in the rear. I run the pro circuit. Calms the bike down going into flat corners and allows for more feel on sliding the forks up or down to get your desired feel.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 02:25 PM

Ive had good luck with a longer link in the rear. I run the pro circuit. Calms the bike down going into flat corners and allows for more feel on sliding the forks up or down to get your desired feel.

I have link, 103mm sag and 5mm forks up. Had to soften compression on forks and take the rebound in a couple and that made the bike stick like glue everywhere. Hs 2 turns out, rebound 9 and comp 12....feels fantastic. I have a factory connection 5.9 rear spring too, as weird as it is, if you put the map on the gytr linear smooth map it ties the whole package together nicely.

• jimbopitts

TT Bronze Member

148 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 07:03 PM

I have link, 103mm sag and 5mm forks up. Had to soften compression on forks and take the rebound in a couple and that made the bike stick like glue everywhere. Hs 2 turns out, rebound 9 and comp 12....feels fantastic. I have a factory connection 5.9 rear spring too, as weird as it is, if you put the map on the gytr linear smooth map it ties the whole package together nicely.

I use the MXA aggressive map

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I use the MXA aggressive map

All that map did was spin the wheel. I still have the mx52s on there though. I had the 32s on my crf450 and know they make a huge difference. As is, with the mxa map it would be breaking free then pack up the suspension on whoops and such. Went to the linear map and it made it get traction plus it seems to pull longer and smoother. Easier to go fast. I like it being richer in the sand anyhow I think

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.