* * * * -

Related Garage

PicsArt_12-30-09.43.52.jpg

Yamaha YZ450F (2009)

Owner: 09_Yz_450f_14skillings
Added on January 02, 2017
Photo
- - - - -

Raising forks on 2016 to improve cornering?

• Please sign in to reply

43 replies to this topic
  • jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,142 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hey guys, ive had my 2016 for a couple weeks now and can already tell the cornering is a little weak. It just doesn't want to bite. Kinda wanders around in the corners. Ive been thinking about raising the forks 5mm in the clamps. Is this the standard fix? Or is there something else I need to do. Ive also heard putting a different front tire on. I ride soft terrain (Florida) usually. So the stock tire is more intermediate. I know that improving the cornering may affect the straight line stability soo.. Any advice? Also, ive got the sag set at 95mm. The service manual specifies 90-100 mm, so im right in the middle.

• Krannie McKranface
36,618 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Also try going in on rear compression setting, to hold the rear up more.

• Phil Hannah

TT Silver Member

834 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:39 PM

Ditch 52 front and try the 5mm. Than play with sag to get chassis balance right. Wouldn't rule out trying more sag? 

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,142 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Ok, thanks for suggestions. Which tire would you recommend? The mx32 looks like a good choice. I also could see how stiffening rear compression could help shift the weight to the front more by keeping rear higher in the stroke. But increasing sag? That seems like it would shift the weight further back. Did you mean decrease sag?

• Monk
24,099 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Dirt Rider did a recent review on 22mm triple clamps, they are the ticket...

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,142 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Just for the record, Im lovin this bike! Its not like im disappointed with it. Runs great, plenty of power, suspension is great, jumps very well. Just a little off in the steering department. I was looking for that 22mm clamp review and came across a bit of info saying to raise forks for heavier riders. Im at 200 so this may be what I try first. They also recommended changing front tire so ill be doing that asap. I will be looking in to the triple clamps as an option, but hate to spend money on clamps on a brand new bike.

• Krannie McKranface
36,618 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Just for the record, Im lovin this bike! Its not like im disappointed with it. Runs great, plenty of power, suspension is great, jumps very well. Just a little off in the steering department. I was looking for that 22mm clamp review and came across a bit of info saying to raise forks for heavier riders. Im at 200 so this may be what I try first. They also recommended changing front tire so ill be doing that asap. I will be looking in to the triple clamps as an option, but hate to spend money on clamps on a brand new bike.

It will never corner right if you are 200lbs and you are running the stock springs.

You are too far into the stroke already, so the suspension is ramping soft/stiff/soft too quickly over uneven terrain.,.....

There is no way you can get a sag of 95 and a free sag of 25/30 using the stock springs at your weight......you need that 25/30mm of free sag so the wheel will drop into concave surfaces, instead of the whole bike dropping and changing your steering angle....

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,142 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:20 PM

It will never corner right if you are 200lbs and you are running the stock springs.
You are too far into the stroke already, so the suspension is ramping soft/stiff/soft too quickly over uneven terrain.,.....

There is no way you can get a sag of 95 and a free sag of 25/30 using the stock springs at your weight......you need that 25/30mm of free sag so the wheel will drop into concave surfaces, instead of the whole bike dropping and changing your steering angle....

You are very well right, but the funny thing is that I haven't adjusted the shock preload ring AT ALL. Ive measured twice. Once when new and again after an hour of moto riding. The sag is 3.75 inches (95 mm) no adjustment. So it came stock with the right amount of preload for my weight. I havent measured free sag. Also i have barely managed to bottom out suspension once or maybe twice on hard landings after about 7 hours of motocross riding. Hitting pretty big jumps. I was unsure wether it would be stiff enough for my weight. I would say im an average B rider in terms of speed. Strictly motocross. Do you know the weight range yamaha recommends for stock springs?

• Krannie McKranface
36,618 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:43 PM

You are very well right, but the funny thing is that I haven't adjusted the shock preload ring AT ALL. Ive measured twice. Once when new and again after an hour of moto riding. The sag is 3.75 inches (95 mm) no adjustment. So it came stock with the right amount of preload for my weight. I havent measured free sag. Also i have barely managed to bottom out suspension once or maybe twice on hard landings after about 7 hours of motocross riding. Hitting pretty big jumps. I was unsure wether it would be stiff enough for my weight. I would say im an average B rider in terms of speed. Strictly motocross. Do you know the weight range yamaha recommends for stock springs?

...but what about the static sag??  The race sag number by itself tells you nothing...

Preload should not be more than 15mm from loose.

All US track bikes come with spring rates for 165/175max riders, with 25/100 sag.

You need .50/6.0 springs there abouts

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,942 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:09 PM

That's.....basically what it has already.  5.8kg and either the .50's or .52's in the front.  I'm about 185# or so and they're stiff for me.

• Krannie McKranface
36,618 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Really? 

I've never heard of  stock jap bike coming with anything but 5.5/.46's . That 's good to hear....

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,142 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:38 AM

According to the manual ive got 5.0 in the front and 5.6 in the rear. (They softened the rear this year from 5.8 to 5.6.) The front only has one spring stiffer offered in the book, the 5.1. The rear has an optional 5.8 and 6.0. I may be borderline heavy for the rear, I dont know. But it sure doesn't bottom out hardly ever, and I havent adjusted the clickers from stock either. I could try going a little stiffer on high speed compression and see what happens. I really think they have stiffened these bikes up since years ago. Alot of adult riders are close to 200 lbs. So maybe they are trying to cater to a "larger" precentage of riders.

• ckny

TT Titanium Member

2,497 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:58 AM

Try going to 105 sag and getting more weight on the front tire.

• Monk
24,099 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:28 AM

Try going to 105 sag and getting more weight on the front tire.

105 would reduce the weight on the front wheel...

• grayracer513
43,112 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:09 AM

"According to the manual..."

Bear in mind that the manual and the parts book typically give the spring rates as N/mm rather than KG/mm.  Different numbers.  Bad part is they often don't specify what units they use.  

http://www.motocd.co...rate-conversion

• ckny

TT Titanium Member

2,497 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:13 AM

105 would reduce the weight on the front wheel...

Which is why I said to get more weight on the front....
Most of the guys I know racing the 14 and 15, as well as many suspension tuners feel the bikes work better at 105mm + sag and forks between flush and 4mm in the triples. I'm not sure how much the new spring rates and offset affect the 2016.

• Monk
24,099 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Which is why I said to get more weight on the front....
Most of the guys I know racing the 14 and 15, as well as many suspension tuners feel the bikes work better at 105mm + sag and forks between flush and 4mm in the triples. I'm not sure how much the new spring rates and offset affect the 2016.

I think one reason for lots of sag is also to get the rear end lower...I lowered my shock, run 92-95mm of sag and forks 5mm up in th triple clamps. Over the 130hrs I have on my 450 this has been the best approach for me. A nice balance of good steering, good feel, good stability and so forth...

Though the 16s are different, the general consensus that I have read is that they are have not improved over the 15s.

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,942 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Really? 

I've never heard of  stock jap bike coming with anything but 5.5/.46's . That 's good to hear....

Yup.  Big boy springs on these.  They seem to work for REALLY aggressive light guys, or be about spot on for average bigger guys.

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,142 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:23 AM

"According to the manual..."

Bear in mind that the manual and the parts book typically give the spring rates as N/mm rather than KG/mm.  Different numbers.  Bad part is they often don't specify what units they use.  

http://www.motocd.co...rate-conversion

Thanks for the tip. Went back and looked and it states N/mm

• DEGBTI

TT Gold Member

1,101 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:05 PM

here is the deal, 

mx32 tire

100mm sag

5mm up on forks

your welcome

• jcross312 and phantom451 like this
  • Like This

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.