2013 Bad Bog at WOT

4 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted September 28, 2015 - 10:04 PM

A little history:

A local racer buddy threw the rod on his old KX500 literally minutes before his race and since I had just finished my race I let him borrow my bike. The problem was that I didn't have any more fuel for my bike so borrowed fuel from another guy. He was an old school guy that liked to run a little bean oil in his gas...in the hurry to get my buddy to the start line on time I didn't think anything about it.

My buddy was having a tough time with my bike flaming out during the race and I figured it was just the funky gas. Got home, dumped the funky gas and refilled with fresh gas. On Saturday when I first fired up my bike it ran for a bit, coughed and died. Took quite a few kicks to get it running again but it was running like s**t for a few minutes then cleaned up and ran perfectly. I figured I burned up whatever funky gas was left in the fuel line and didn't think any more about it.

Fast forward about an hour into my race...everything has been running perfectly when all of a sudden it would bog like it was going to die when I hit wide open throttle. Back it off a bit and it runs perfect and strong. Low, mid, and high RPM all good...just can't go WOT without a wicked bad bog.

Thinking there might be some contamination somewhere in the fuel system but I really don't know where/how to look for it. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump to remove the tank and no fuel came out...is this an indication that there is a blockage in the fuel pump or is it normal for fuel not to come out when the bike is not running? How do I check and clean the fuel pump? Can the injector be cleaned?  Any other thoughts?

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Sounds like a fuel filter limiting the flow to where it can't keep up with the engine at WOT.  The pump will have to come out of the tank and get the screen cleaned out.  The problem is that no one (who knows why?) thought that the filter would ever need to be serviced, so no provision was ever made for it to be done as a simple service procedure.  

But someone here has boldly gone where I haven't:  http://www.thumperta.../#entry10702600

Careful whose fuel you borrow :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Gray, thanks for the reply and the link (that I should have found myself with a proper search).

I was able to get the filter out without cutting the fuel line on the pump and found some serious gunk in there...not exactly sure what it is/was. If I had to guess I'd say it was some type of paper ore even remnants of an old low quality sticker.

I have it all back together but have not fired it up yet but I'm sure it's going to be good...certainly has to be an improvement after getting all that out of there.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6321.JPG

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Sure would be nice if these bikes were made so that the pump was not in the tank and you had a separate upstream filter.

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Believe it or not, that would complicate things.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.