'06 WR450. YZf front rim. Supermoto. I need help please.

16 replies to this topic
  • ShiggzLTRWR

Posted September 28, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hello I have '06 WR450. Awhile ago I bought some (supermoto) 17" excell with haan hubs. The hubs are YZF not WR. I bought YZF spacers, took speedometer cable out. Front rotor hits in caliper if I tighten axle up properly. If I leave axle just shy of tight, rotor clears fine. I obviously can't ride it like that. Any ideas on what I need to make this setup work?

• stevethe

Posted September 28, 2015 - 08:27 PM

While I'm not looking at your set up issues you might try a couple of washers to space out the caliper bracket?
You might wish to post pictures.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:05 AM

Unsure how to post pics. I don't think washers are an option. Bracket is fixed to the fork, caliper attaches to the wheel side.. I am confused, I figured YZF wheel and spacer would be bolt on.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:54 AM

Are you sure you did no mix up the spacers? They are not the same size..........

...and yes you can modify the caliper postion, by modifying or spacing your OS caliper mounting bracket.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I would call haan and ask them what spacers you need.
I went through the exact same thing when I motarded mine. I bought a set of excels that were originally on a 09 yz450f to put on my 07 wr450- about the only thing that was right was the axle diameter, it went together exactly how you stated.. once I ordered the right spacers everything was fine.

Edited by knuckleduster271, September 29, 2015 - 07:35 AM.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:38 AM

I tried the spacers both ways. 1 way it hits on one side, flip them and rotor hits on the other side. I don't know which is for which side so I tried both ways. I did buy spacers for older YZf. I wonder if newer model YZf spacers are different? I bought the wheels used so I have no idea what that actually are for. Guy said he had them on His WR450. I assume He was lying.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:13 AM

I tried the spacers both ways. 1 way it hits on one side, flip them and rotor hits on the other side. I don't know which is for which side so I tried both ways. I did buy spacers for older YZf. I wonder if newer model YZf spacers are different? I bought the wheels used so I have no idea what that actually are for. Guy said he had them on His WR450. I assume He was lying.

The newer (08+ I believe) are absolutely different.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hmm. So maybe these were for that Gen YZf. Spacers are cheap. That's worth a shot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuckleduster271

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hmm. So maybe these were for that Gen YZf. Spacers are cheap. That's worth a shot.

I know excels customer service was top notch, they new exactly what spacers I needed.
I'm guessing they don't make a different haan hub for every year the yz / wr forks changed as long as the axle diameter stayed the same, they just redo the spacers (that's how excel hubs are anyways).
For some reason I'm thinking I only needed to buy one spacer (I'm thinking it was the caliper side) but I can't swear to it.
I'd bet that haan could get you squared away with little effort.

Edited by knuckleduster271, September 29, 2015 - 10:28 PM.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted October 05, 2015 - 11:36 AM

'03-'07 spacers didn't work. I just tried '08-'13 and nogo as well.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:03 AM

I probably sound stupid, I feel stupid. I didn't think this would be so difficult. It's the left (caliper) side that I can't make work. My stock WR and the 2 different Gen YZf left sides are the same. To me it looks like I need one a little longer than those to make this work. The haan hub has no kind of markings on it so I guess I really have no idea what it goes to. Guy said WR. They not WR and rear works fine so I assume YZf.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:24 AM

You need YZ spacers with the YZ fork

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I really gotta change the forks??

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:16 AM

I really gotta change the forks??

No, I thought you already had them

You will probably have to insert a small precision washer to the the spacing you want, or machine your own spacers

• knuckleduster271

Posted October 06, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Did yoy call haan and ask them what you need? Once they identify their hub and you tell them what your trying to put it on they should have exactly what you need.
I tried oem yz spacers with my excel hubs and it was a no go. Most aftermarket hubs use the mfgr's specific spacer.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted October 07, 2015 - 04:25 AM

I looked in their website. The phone # doesn't appear to be international? They are in the Netherlands. I tried emailing from the site but couldn't get it to go through.

• knuckleduster271

Posted October 07, 2015 - 09:54 PM

I looked in their website. The phone # doesn't appear to be international? They are in the Netherlands. I tried emailing from the site but couldn't get it to go through.

There should be an authorized dealer state side that could answer your question.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.