2007 WR450 Again....

Yamaha WR450F

30 replies to this topic
  • RiderDeAzul

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:29 PM

I just put a new cylinder and piston, and fresh intake valves in my bike... and then I noticed that when I try to put it in 5th gear it seems to slip it catch, not sure if it could be jetting (highly doubtful as it doesn't do it in other gears) but I'm pretty sure that it is the 5th gear, but the 3rd seems fine. So I have two questions, will I be able to break in the bike if I stay out of 5th gear completely and be able to ride for a little while, or do I need to take the engine down now? Also, is it possible to remove the entire engine out of the bike or must I take the top end apart before removal?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 28, 2015 - 07:46 PM

You don't know what the problem is yet.

Most likely, your shift detent mechanism is fouled.

Probably not the transmission gears.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:28 AM

You don't know what the problem is yet.

Most likely, your shift detent mechanism is fouled.

Probably not the transmission gears.

So is it possible to continue to ride atleast until the engine is broken in? and can I remove the engine as a whole? (I'm sure the engine removal has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 29, 2015 - 01:08 PM

Download the owners manual from the Yamaha web site.

Yes you can remvoe the whole engine

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 29, 2015 - 01:23 PM

Didn't know they had it on there, thanks. How will I know if the shift mechanism is bad, can you tell by looking at it?

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Does anyone else know if it will hurt my bike if I stay out of fifth gear? or possibly another reason why it might do this? I'm not sure that I understand how the shifting mechanism would only affect 5th gear.

• stevethe

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:25 AM

You can check your shifting detent mechanism as Bill has suggested. You may also have a bent shift fork or other transmission issues.
I'm not sure if your question can be answered on break in.
You might get that shop manual and check first the shift detent. The other is to pull the motor and do the transmission. The rings if brand new will get broken in after you fix it.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:41 PM

You can check your shifting detent mechanism as Bill has suggested. You may also have a bent shift fork or other transmission issues.
I'm not sure if your question can be answered on break in.
You might get that shop manual and check first the shift detent. The other is to pull the motor and do the transmission. The rings if brand new will get broken in after you fix it.

Ahh, damn that sucks :lame:. LIterally just put it back together like 3 days ago, I've only ridden the damn thing like 3 hours and I already have put over 1000$ into it  :cry: ... do you know if the yz250's have the same transmission issues as the wr450s do?

• stevethe

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Ahh, damn that sucks :lame:. LIterally just put it back together like 3 days ago, I've only ridden the damn thing like 3 hours and I already have put over 1000$ into it  :cry: ... do you know if the yz250's have the same transmission issues as the wr450s do?

I own three WR450's and am not aware of transmission issues. Some have had trouble on pre 07's that I've read. But not 07 and later.
My bikes are ridden very hard and have miles with no transmission issues.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:55 PM

I own three WR450's and am not aware of transmission issues. Some have had trouble on pre 07's that I've read. But not 07 and later.
My bikes are ridden very hard and have miles with no transmission issues.

I guess I just got POS then haha, any clue on how much I could sell it for, it has a fresh piston, cylinder, and intake valves, do you think anyone would buy it at all with 5th gear acting up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 30, 2015 - 03:52 PM

I guess I just got POS then haha, any clue on how much I could sell it for, it has a fresh piston, cylinder, and intake valves, do you think anyone would buy it at all with 5th gear acting up?

You have already invested $1000 in repairs. Why not invest a little more and have a bike that's 100% operational? Once your in this deep you might as well keep going. Just my opinion.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 03:53 PM

You have already invested $1000 in repairs. Why not invest a little more and have a bike that's 100% operational? Once your in this deep you might as well keep going. Just my opinion.

I would... but I know for a new transmission it'll cost probably another 700 and I just bought a brand new raptor from the dealer, wouldn't it be bad to let it sit for a few years, or would it not matter as long as I have oil and coolant in it? Because I know that you are not supposed to do that with cars as the gaskets will go bad, and parts will seize, I'm new to these demon 450cc engines, and yes I know I sound stupid :devil:

Edited by RiderDeAzul, September 30, 2015 - 04:03 PM.

• stevethe

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:12 PM

I would... but I know for a new transmission it'll cost probably another 700 and I just bought a brand new raptor from the dealer, wouldn't it be bad to let it sit for a few years, or would it not matter as long as I have oil and coolant in it? Because I know that you are not supposed to do that with cars as the gaskets will go bad, and parts will seize, I'm new to these demon 450cc engines, and yes I know I sound stupid :devil:

Keep the bike get rid of the shewheeler.

Just drain the gas out of the bike and take it apart when you get the time. Gaskets don't go bad gasoline does.

• adam500

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Shewheeler!

HA!

Love it.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Keep the bike get rid of the shewheeler.

Just drain the gas out of the bike and take it apart when you get the time. Gaskets don't go bad gasoline does.

Would I be better off trading for a yz125 or yz250 since I don't have the money to keep up with the 450? (I probably only ride about 5 hours a month.) And my "shewheeler" is a fine piece of equipment! I seriously only have 2 hours on it because I'm scared to get it dirty lol.

• stevethe

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Would I be better off trading for a yz125 or yz250 since I don't have the money to keep up with the 450? (I probably only ride about 5 hours a month.) And my "shewheeler" is a fine piece of equipment! I seriously only have 2 hours on it because I'm scared to get it dirty lol.

I don't think you can sell or trade your 450 as it's broken. But you can try.

Hey I got a better idea. Pull the motor from the shewheeler and put it in your WR. That way you can have a WR700.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:45 PM

I don't think you can sell or trade your 450 as it's broken. But you can try.

Hey I got a better idea. Pull the motor from the shewheeler and put it in your WR. That way you can have a WR700.

A raptor engine would be wicked in a bike, my new one has gobs of torque, has anyone on here done that? That would be something to see!

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Ok, you just bought a brand new quad and your considering trading the 450 that maybe needs a shift fork or a gear on a 125 (or 250) 2 stroke. You have officially worn me out kid, my work is done here

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Ok, you just bought a brand new quad and your considering trading the 450 that maybe needs a shift fork or a gear on a 125 (or 250) 2 stroke. You have officially worn me out kid, my work is done here

They all go for around 2500 around here, which is what I paid for my wr, just out of curiosity, my friend has an extra 2008 yz450 engine at his shop, would fifth gear in that fit in my bike?

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:09 PM

They all go for around 2500 around here, which is what I paid for my wr, just out of curiosity, my friend has an extra 2008 yz450 engine at his shop, would fifth gear in that fit in my bike?

No, WR (wide ratio) YZ (close ratio).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.