FMF Q Q's...

21 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted February 26, 2004 - 12:52 PM

Where can I get the best deal on a FMF Q for my WR450?

I will be using the stock header with this muffler. Are there any additional parts I will need to mount this up to my bike?

• endurodog

Posted February 26, 2004 - 02:01 PM

Don't know where to get the best deal but all the needed mounting hardware is included with the muffler.

• kirkw

Posted February 26, 2004 - 02:11 PM

check out www.BTOsports.com. All hardware is included and install is very easy.

• foursmoke

Posted February 26, 2004 - 02:33 PM

You dont't like the PC 496 Dave. When I get around to up-grading my exhaust that will be the pipe I consider most.

Smoke :)

• PIKE

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:27 PM

The best price I found for a new one is from Rocky Mountain ATV/Cycle ($299):

http://www.rockymoun...?sid=0004097458

• ogrebelle

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:07 PM

Sorry Dave, I already got the best deal out there. Last year I picked up a used one (really brand new, not a single scratch on it) from a fellow TTer from CA. $100 and I love it. Not many more deals like that out there. But I wish you luck on your quest.
Doug

• ddialogue

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I found an accessory shop here locally that honored the BTOMotorsports price. I decided to go with the FMF Q simply because a lot of TT'ers have used it, most are happy with the performance and most are passing the 96db sound limit in California. We're not sound checking here in Idaho, but I like to keep it as quiet as possible anyway. I actually ordered the PC496 last week but had the shop send it back because I just didn't feel good about it. I don't like dropping $350 on a pipe that no one has any experience with. I was reading an article on DirtRider.net about their 24-hour test. In that test, they fitted all the stock bikes with the PC 496 pipes and left it on all the bikes but one. Guess which bike? Yep. The WR450. They sound tested all the bikes and that pipe was 101.8db on the WR! In fact, they went back to the stocker and used the GYT-R insert on it. I tend to take everything with a grain of salt but jeez-o-pete...I just didn't want to take that chance. Go with what's tried and true...no more bleeding edge, first model year stuff (look where it got me...yes, I'm referring to the woodruff key issue!)

In summary, performance and sound levels are acceptable with the FMF Q, it was $70 cheaper AND I think it will still look killer on the WR. :) :D

• ddialogue

Posted March 06, 2004 - 03:04 PM

Just got back from riding the WR with the new FMF Q muffler. HOLY CRAP!! :D It's like I'm riding a completely different motorcycle. I have been riding so long with the PMB insert that I guess I forgot what great power these WR's have down low. The noise levels are very acceptable with this pipe and it was a lot quieter than my bro-in-law's WR450 with the uncorked stock muffler. I'd say that was $280 well spent. :D

As a side note, I guess FMF has updated the end caps on their Q pipes. Apparently I received the older model through my local shop but he swapped me out for the newer end cap on another one he had in stock. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 06, 2004 - 03:10 PM

Hey David, did you keep the stock header? How does it compare to an uncorked stock pipe in bottom end performance? Thanks. :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 06, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Hey David, did you keep the stock header? How does it compare to an uncorked stock pipe in bottom end performance? Thanks. :)

Yes, I kept the stock header. I'm considering the powerbomb header for it though (mine has some serious dents in it.) I rode them back to back today and honestly, mine felt like it had just as much bottom end as the other with the stock exhaust. I was all smiles this afternoon. :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AkRider

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:02 PM

How much weight do you think you saved of the stock pipe?
I don't need any more power but I want to shed some more weight of my bike. No I don't need to lose any weight of my mid section I have around 7% body fat, thank you very much :)

• timmozig

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:09 PM

Many percieve noise as power.
The Q rocks.
So does the PBomb.
TZ

• ddialogue

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:22 PM

Who said anything about losing weight around the middle? :) I could stand to lose a little there though...

Seriously, I didn't weigh them but the aluminum can vs. the stainless can has got to be significant. I think I remember reading somewhere about 3-5 pounds difference in weight, but I could be mistaken. It was noticeably lighter than the stocker when I was swapping them out. :D

• N7SLC

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:30 PM

I gotta keep up with the Jones', or my twin brother as it were. :)

I just got a Q off Ebay for my DRZ and they're supposed to drop
nearly 7 pounds. After listening to Dave's report, I can hardly
wait! :D

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:53 PM

No I don't need to lose any weight of my mid section I have around 7% body fat, thank you very much :)

Hey, your in Alaska, get some winter meat built up! :D :D

• SMD

Posted March 06, 2004 - 06:36 PM

I will go ahead and weigh in on this one.
I had been running a modified and discontinued MegaMax for the last year on my 450. With the recent addition of an Ohlin shock,the Max would not clear the shock resevoir any longer.So I picked up a Q.
Wow!! The low to Mid range has come alive! All the while being much quieter. This is running at 6k to 7k in elevation and no re-jetting yet.
Highly recommend..... :)

• Mike_Desrochers

Posted March 06, 2004 - 06:56 PM

Hey Folks Iam assuming that the FMF Q Q's is the lower DCB's
FMF makes two "Q" styles. I have a 2002 WR426 Canadian model, would I notice anything different from stock? Any other changes with the "Q" required for better performance?

Thanks,
Mike D.

• ddialogue

Posted March 07, 2004 - 05:01 AM

I'm not sure about the two different models. The muffler I bought is the plain FMF Q muffler. I am at the stock jetting on my bike (using the stock muffler and PMB insert) and noticed the flat spot off idle when I installed this muffler. I cured it mostly by adjusting the fuel screw but I will be going one richer on the pilot this week.

• foursmoke

Posted March 07, 2004 - 01:52 PM

As a side note, I guess FMF has updated the end caps on their Q pipes. Apparently I received the older model through my local shop but he swapped me out for the newer end cap on another one he had in stock.

Dave, what end cap is on it now. I do not care much for that olipticle style end cap.

Smoke :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 07, 2004 - 02:30 PM

The elliptical endcap was the one I first received. The newer one is just the tip. The tip endcap is a $49.95 (retail) upgrade through FMF. What the purpose of the new end cap is supposed to do, I don't know. I compared them, physically, and the pipe/screen coming out the end are identical, except the pipe is about an inch longer on the new style. Funny, I kind of like the elliptical look a little better. Either way, it works great and I'm a happy camper! :) :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.