Clarke 4.3 Mounting Issue

17 replies to this topic
  • sactoXR

Posted February 26, 2004 - 11:44 AM

My question may seem dumb, but I have in fact used the search function to no avail....

I am dry fitting the Clarke tank onto my BRP and seem to have an issue with it leaning over to the left. I swapped the mounting hardware from my stock tank to the Clarke, removed the emissions crap, and bolted it into place. When I flipped down the radiator shrouds to affix them, I noticed that the left side shroud was no where near the inserts (too high). Has anyone had a similar problem, or am I missing something trivial that is going to make me look like a numbnut?

Thanks!

• qadsan

Posted February 26, 2004 - 01:21 PM

Hmmm, that quite odd. It should have bolted right up without any issues. I've only had problems with IMS tanks not bolting up. I've had four IMS tanks and they all had the same issues where I had to do some trimming of one radiator shroud to get it to fit properly, but our two Clarke tanks bolted right up without any issues and I've installed a third Clarke tank for a friend without any issues.

I hope it turns out to be something simple and if not, then I hope the people you bought it from get you squared away quickly.

• sactoXR

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:16 PM

Hmmm, that quite odd. It should have bolted right up without any issues.

Qadsan, thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I've tried again, switching the mounting hardware from side to side, but they are identical and the issue remains. :)

I'll call Clarke in the morning, since I bought it directly from them. This really sucks, as I need this tank for a DS ride on Saturday. :D Worst case, I'll strap on the jerry cans....

----------

Actually, I think I have one more trick before calling Clarke. I'll try shimming up the mounting brackets with some washers. I hope this works....

• HairyScary

Posted August 29, 2004 - 09:35 PM

I am dry fitting the Clarke tank onto my BRP and seem to have an issue with it leaning over to the left. I swapped the mounting hardware from my stock tank to the Clarke, removed the emissions crap, and bolted it into place. When I flipped down the radiator shrouds to affix them, I noticed that the left side shroud was no where near the inserts (too high). Has anyone had a similar problem, or am I missing something trivial that is going to make me look like a numbnut?

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how you made out with your mounting issues? Based on opinions from Yahoo XR650R and here on TT (i.e. Clarke fits awesome, IMS is a bit dodgy) we ordered a Clarke 4.3 for a friends bike. Seems to have the same issue - if you force the LHS (clutch lever side) down enough to get the bolt in, then the tank is skewed off to the left and the distance between the upper and lower rad shroud mounts is too short. If you put the LHS rad shroud on 1st, then it holds the tank more level with the bike, but now the LHS tank bolt is out by 1/2 a hole or more.

Have to go have another look at it I guess. Maybe there is some play in the motor mount plate that the LHS tank bolt screws into? Motor has never been out, and the stock tank was fine in current location. Maybe the tank is just a POS and requires a custom mount -- typical fit issues that seem to happen with all aftermarket crap.
:devil:

I had advised him to get the Clarke and not the IMS so that it would be just a bolt on, but so much for that. I can't say I'm overwhelmed with the quality and fit. Or lack of fit, in this case. I know it is supposed to just be a dirt bike, but the molding flash looks like it was cut off by someone half drunk (they cut into the tank pretty deep in places, and left other places where it matters totally untouched) and the petcock hole looks like it was cut out with a chainsaw - hopefully that doesn't become a leak.
Combine that with the fit issues, and I really have to wonder just how much worse the IMS could have been?

:thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 29, 2004 - 11:26 PM

I have an IMS 4.6 gal tank on my XR650R. I had no problems with fit of anything except the right hand radiator shroud (right side when sitting on the bike). I had to trim a fin located on the back side of the shroud so that the shroud would flush up to the tank. This is not visible at all and you would not know I did it unless I told you and took the shroud off to show you. IMS was a very easy fitting tank. It also has gone through 4 years of abuse and is in great condition. :thumbsup:

• Rokatt88

Posted August 30, 2004 - 08:14 AM

Your Clarke tank should fit fine. Next time you have the tank off, take a real good look at how your cable are routed. Sometimes you can get them or they also can have a tendancy to go where THEY want to go which will drive you crazy aligning your tank. Also, when you removed the smog poo poo, did you remove the whole assembly i.e. the bracket too? Just trying to visualize what could be your problem. Assuming your bike was stock to start with (as in no one else messed with your bike before you started all this) your tank is the same mold as all of ours - no difference there and your bike is the same as all of ours so if all is where it should be, your tank should drop right on with minimal adjusting or fuss. Now if you also have an Edelbrock carb, that my be pushing your take to the side. That's another post! Oops! gotta go to a meeting. Hope this helps! Late! :thumbsup:

• HairyScary

Posted August 30, 2004 - 08:28 PM

Bike is original owner, Cdn model that never had smog pooh on it, so you can rule that out. There isn't a lot of room under there for the cables - I agree with that, but that isn't it. It is the location of the brass inserts with respect to each other - like they didn't accurately clone the dimensions from the stocker. You can position the tank so the two tank bolts go in, and then the tank is leaned off to the left -- which tries to stretch the right shroud and compress the left. If you position the tank with the right bolt in and the left one out so that you can make the tank level with the bike, then the shrouds are more equal. When I say level with the bike I mean that you stand and look at it from the rear and align the gas cap so it is straight up and centred between the handlebar mounts -- with both bolts in it is definitely not centered.

I'll probably have a chance to have another look at it in a couple of days - will let everyone know how it turns out. Was hoping the original poster was still monitoring the forum...

• malevolent73

Posted August 30, 2004 - 09:05 PM

I have the larke 4.3, and mine dropped right on, no problem... I would plead you case with Clarke, and see if they will exchange it!!! good luck :thumbsup:

• tirebiter

Posted August 31, 2004 - 07:31 PM

After installing the Clarke 4.3 on my pig, which fell right into place, I decided the crappy honda tank bolts had to go...the long suckers that are hard to start.., yup those bastds....Switched to a couple of tech-bolt replacement bolts from my generic tec-bolt kit, prob. solved. Truly helpful for those that have to remove their tank on a regular basis..

http://www.tekbolt.bigstep.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sactoXR

Posted September 01, 2004 - 11:52 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how you made out with your mounting issues?

I did end up shimming the tank slightly, but I also played games while installing the shrouds. I'll take a look tonight and get back to you. I guess I should've riden the XR today....

At the time, I called the folks at Clarke to discuss the situation. They had never heard of fit up problems before and didn't have any idea what the problem could be. They seemed genuinely interested in helping me, but without seeing it, or having previous experience with the issue, they coudldn't do much.

• Portland_650R

Posted September 01, 2004 - 01:22 PM

It felt different than the stocker, due to its size, but mine went on with just a bit of moving everything around to line up. The fuel tanks are so asymmetrical anyway... seems like I'd have to turn my bike upside down to use some of the fuel, on both tanks. I would check the cable routings also.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

• sactoXR

Posted September 02, 2004 - 08:05 AM

I checked last night and couldn't really see anything easily from the outside. I do remember having to keep the various bolts loose and jiggle things around until I found a position in which they'd all seat and look decent.

Cable routings can certainly cause the tank to tip....

Sorry that I am not more help.

• HairyScary

Posted September 03, 2004 - 09:09 PM

It felt different than the stocker, due to its size, but mine went on with just a bit of moving everything around to line up. The fuel tanks are so asymmetrical anyway... seems like I'd have to turn my bike upside down to use some of the fuel, on both tanks. I would check the cable routings also.
Good luck! :devil:

Aside from fit issues, I couldn't figure out why Clarke didn't make use of the area on the "good" side near the airboot, like the stock tank does. A good chunk of fuel could be there, down low and on the side that doesn't require the "stop and touch the bars to the ground" ritual. Have a look at the two tanks while on a bike and you will see what I mean. I wonder how the IMS 4.6 is in this area?

• HairyScary

Posted September 03, 2004 - 09:22 PM

Had a chance to have another look at that ill fitting tank today, so here
is an update. There is a slight gain to be had by mounting the black
brackets loose, and then tightening them as someone holds the tank firmly
to the right, but it isn't much. Tried a set of washers under the left tank
mount, but you really want to move the tank up, and the angle of the black
mount means that washers do more to move the tank back. So we took them
back out.

We moved onto the motor mount plates which the tank bolts screw into.
The holes in these are pretty sloppy on the mounting bolts, but even with
the left plate pulled up as high as it would go and the right shoved down,
it still needed a bit more. The forward most 8mm bolt was the one limiting
the plate from going any higher, so a tiny bit of filing at the 6 o'clock
position of that hole on the LHS plate was done to allow the plate to go
just that bit higher. There isn't a lot of meat there, so we are talking
about only taking off 1/16" or so.

So, with everything (2x6mm tank bolts, 4x6mm tank bracket bolts,
2x8mm+1x10mm motor mount bolts) all loose and the tank held firm over to
the right while tightening all these up, the Clarke tank comes pretty
close to sitting level on the bike. The shroud bolts can now be installed
without flexing the snot out of the shrouds as well. So it looks like it
will be workable in the end, but it isn't what I'd call a "drop on"
installation product.

The downside of meddling with the motor mount plates is that you can't
really switch back and forth between stock and Clarke tanks as easily.
Chances are most people mount the Clarke and leave it there - might be a
different story if it was the massive Acerbis Sahara...

The insides of the shrouds are now about 3/4" away from the sides of the
rads at the top, due to the wider tank. This might affect cooling for those
of you riding slow in hot weather - maybe they can be drawn inward with
something (I can hear all the Red Green mechanics saying "cable ties"!)

Now that it looks like it will fit half decent, we'll have to clean the
shavings out of it, fix the mess in the petcock hole, tidy up the molding
flash a bit and mount it for good. Hope the above helps the next poor sod
to get a tank that wasn't formed properly.

It would have been nice to try another tank to see if this one was somehow
screwed up, but unfortunately getting anything up here in the first place
is an ordeal and shipping returns is best avoided like the plague. I
really can't see this bike being any different than any others out there,
so I guess this tank must be skewed like sactoXR's was. I'd think others
would have complained about the fit as well if they all were like this?
The only thing I've seen mentioned is the turning of the hose clamps for
clearance - which is obvious the 1st time you test fit it anyway.

• elkinthrobber

Posted July 26, 2005 - 11:17 AM

I also am having problems with this same issue....removed the tank a few times and still the same problem! it's almost like the incerts are mislocated will work on more later and get back to you

• Rokatt88

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:50 AM

Good tip! I was doikin' around with my tank mounts and bolts last night. You can also use a metal valve stem cap placed in the socket as a shade tree solution spacer. I am going to see if the RM250 Suzuki tank bolts will fit as they have the flat washer area and the end on the bolt narrows to help guide itself in. The RM also has a small counter sink at the beginning of the threads. Considering making that mod. as well.

• roadcam

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:44 AM

I also have an IMS 4.0 gal tank that bolted up perfectly on my 'L', .. however, the front brackets are a bit different from each other, in that you have to 'reverse' one of them ..., ... I wonder if the 'R' has offset mounts also, to explain your problem .. :applause: just a thought

• Max Power

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:21 PM

Clarke tank fits better then the OEM tank. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.