Has anyone tried the WR450 GYTR Ported Cylinder Head ?

11 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 22, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Any feedback?

The GYTR Ported Cylinder Head Assembly comes fully assembled and ready to install with no costly core changes or deposits or exchange programs that can add downtime.

• CNC milling ensures that every head is ported to the maximized design eliminating variances that hand porting can produce.
  • Developed on the flow bench in conjunction with dyno and track testing to ensure the ultimate in performance and durability.
  • Includes GYTR® Performance Camshaft Kit.
  • Also includes stock valve train and cam gears for durability and easy maintenance.
  • GYTR® Head Assemblies are used by Yamaha SX / MX / GNCC®, and ATV race teams.
  • For maximum performance and protection, always use Yamalube® 15W-30 Full Synthetic Oil after installation - two quarts are included with each GYTR® Ported Cylinder Head Assembly.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 24, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Too pricey for me.
Mixxer can make you a nice head out of your stocker for a fraction of what the gytr cost.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 24, 2015 - 02:29 PM

Too pricey for me.
Mixxer can make you a nice head out of your stocker for a fraction of what the gytr cost.

I already have a hand-made full race head.

I am thinking of another bike, and swapping the heads.

A GYTR head, complete, sells for $1299

A stage 3 port and polish, new valves, seats, seals, cutting, GYTR cams, cam transport will cost about $ 1000 +........plus the cost of the head itself......so no, it's not pricey at ALL

In fact, it's a bargain....

....and if your head were in good shape, you could sell it on ebay for $500-600 too..........

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 24, 2015 - 04:49 PM

I already have a hand-made full race head.

I am thinking of another bike, and swapping the heads.

A GYTR head, complete, sells for $1299
A stage 3 port and polish, new valves, seats, seals, cutting, GYTR cams, cam transport will cost about $ 1000 +........plus the cost of the head itself......so no, it's not pricey at ALL

In fact, it's a bargain....

....and if your head were in good shape, you could sell it on ebay for $500-600 too..........

If I was going to spend that kind of money I'd send a head to Ron Hamp before I'd buy something off the shelf.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 24, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Then it would be $3-4k...

Edited by KRANNIE, September 24, 2015 - 05:19 PM.

• stevethe

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I have not personally seen the GYTR head. However for $1200. it might be a very good deal as it comes with cams and all the valves and such. It is a brand new cnc ported head made by Cosworth. They are not known for low performance products. On the other hand there are some very custom shops that can port the five valvers for some great power.

Edited by stevethe, September 24, 2015 - 06:26 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I have not personally seen the GYTR head. However for $1200. it might be a very good deal as it comes with cams and all the valves and such. It is a brand new cnc ported head made by Cosworth. They are not known for low performance products. On the other hand there are some very custom shops that can port the five valvers for some great power.

That is my point.

A COMPLETE ported, cam'd head ready to go, and a stock head ready to sell is about a $500-600 net cost for the brand new tricked-out head.....and it's brand new.

Seems like an amazing bargain to me........

....if it makes good power.

I'm thinking about building up a true DS FI 450, and I need POWER

• stevethe

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:37 PM

That is my point.

A COMPLETE ported, cam'd head ready to go, and a stock head ready to sell is about a $500-600 net cost for the brand new tricked-out head.....and it's brand new.

Seems like an amazing bargain to me........

....if it makes good power.

I'm thinking about building up a true DS FI 450, and I need POWER.

All good but If your looking at a fuel injected bike the only one you should be looking at is the YZ450fx.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Then it would be $3-4k...

I doubt it.. For a basic port job from Mr hamp I was quoted $500- for $2500 you could have a top notch port job with cams and probably his signature piston.
Ron Hamp is no joke at building serious power from a 450.
I would bet one of mixxers heads with an off the shelf intake cam would run circles around the gytr stuff and you would probably have less than $600 in it.
Last I knew the gytr setup was close to $2500 anyways- so there's probably a good reason they are selling for half that now lol.
Iirc the gytr cams are rebadged webs, good cams but kinda hard on valvetrain parts becuase of the severity of their ramp rates which causes the valves to close so quickly that it hammers valve seats. I've seen the set of cams sell for around $250-300
I see what your saying about selling your head and having 600 in the gytr setup and it makes sense if yoy can get it for $1200 but I honestly think a reworked stock head and off the shelf cams would out perform it alot cheaper.

Here's an interesting read on a gytr setup. It's a little dated and I'm not sure if the gytr stuff has gotten any better since this.
http://www.yfzcentra...inder-head.html

Edited by knuckleduster271, September 24, 2015 - 08:39 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:44 AM

That's the info I was looking for.

Sounds like it's a stage one porting with a high lift cam.

Not what I am looking for....

Thank you.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:52 AM

All good but If your looking at a fuel injected bike the only one you should be looking at is the YZ450fx.

Yes.....and get it plated in Arizony.............

• Agazza

Posted July 27, 2016 - 01:44 PM

Bump, wich way did this go?

Edited by Agazza, July 27, 2016 - 01:44 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.