Powercore Repacking on 03 WR450

2 replies to this topic
  • iryde

Posted September 22, 2015 - 05:59 PM

I could use some tips to get an older FMF powercore muffler apart for repacking.  I've taken the bolts out of the muffler near the head pipe, but I cannot figure out where to tap on the muffler to get the it apart.  The videos that I've watched shows holding the muffler in a vise and using the rear mounting bracket as the surface to tap with a hammer to get it apart.  My muffler is the older style that does not have an attached rear mounting bracket.  It has the clamp style that is a separate part, to I don't really have a good surface to use to tap the muffler apart.  Should I be drilling the rivets out of the back of the muffler and pull the core out from that end?  Or should I try using a flat screw driver or a chisel on the lip of the muffler near the head pipe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vindog

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:56 PM

Don't drill it out mine was a bitch to pull apart but after some pissed off words it all worked out...one thing that I did find out is that the silicone that there use was a good one because that's all that was holding that pig on lol...I too didn't have a vice I just huge the shit out of it and hit it a lot of times

• iryde

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:28 AM

where were you hitting it to get the muffler apart?  Were you just hitting it to break the silicone lose?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.